It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Outbreaks 2014

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
In 2011 we lived in Alabama. The Wednesday prior forecasters started warning about a possible tornado outbreak. By the day before they were practically screaming that it was coming.

By the time it was over, more EF5 tornadoes had touched down in one area than ever before in the US, and 245 people were dead.

If forecasters say there's a chance of an outbreak, take them seriously and prepare. If they had listened a few years ago, more people might be alive in Alabama.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well, there's only so much you can do out here, but believe me, people do take this seriously. My two coworkers are about as mainstream, pop-culture, unplugged in as you can get, and even they are aware of this.

People are going to charge the weather radios, check the basement supplies, and keep an eye on the skies this weekend while they go about their business.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If forecasters say there's a chance of an outbreak, take them seriously and prepare.

Very well said Zaphod!

Best to prepare for the worst ~ hope for the best.

Weather patterns can change. Let's hope it wont be as bad as expected.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
We are in central Oklahoma and after the awful spring we had last year, I'm feeling a little anxious about this weekend. We cleaned out the storm shelter, packed our tub of first aid supplies with a change of clothes for everyone, leashes, car chargers and a little bit of cash. Tomorrow that will go in the shelter along with some bottled water and a bucket.

My husband thinks I'm a little crazy for buying a cat carrier for the chickens, but there are only 3 of the little banties.....why not at least try if there is time!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Current threat area's.

map link

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Thanks. Well...Monday and Tuesday are going to be my crap days...

Today is a beautiful Spring day. Perfect in every way. Monday I'll start to batten down the hatches, and stay glued to this thread, as long as the power stays on. I'm gonna double check fuel in the generator, and make a note to fill the bathtub Monday night, pull out the long armed limb lopper and take a few branches off instead of letting Momma Nature do the pruning.

The closest a tornado has been to my home in the past, was 2 miles. Everyone stay safe!

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: gluetrap
We are in central Oklahoma and after the awful spring we had last year, I'm feeling a little anxious about this weekend. We cleaned out the storm shelter, packed our tub of first aid supplies with a change of clothes for everyone, leashes, car chargers and a little bit of cash. Tomorrow that will go in the shelter along with some bottled water and a bucket.

My husband thinks I'm a little crazy for buying a cat carrier for the chickens, but there are only 3 of the little banties.....why not at least try if there is time!

Take care of those little chickies. If it gets real bad here, my goats all go into the basement...

A cat carrier is a good container for them...tell your hubby I said you're pretty damn smart...

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Keeping an eye on this from here in central KY. Have had too many near misses over the years to not take it seriously! Making sure the weather radio is working, backing up computers, charging phones, charging laptops, blocking off a section of the basement to corral the dogs in the deepest part, and prepping my "bugout to the basement bags" just in case!

Stay safe y'all - sounds like this one could get scary over the next few days!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

I like how they list Kansas City in the severe area in Saturday as a city in the threat area even though we are barely on the edge, but when Sunday rolls around and we are buried squarely in the middle ... Kansas City disappears!

I guess we don't need to worry on Sunday.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
And this means what? The map shown is a map of what is called Tornado Alley. The season normally starts about Feb, and runs until November. Living in this area, tends to have a bit more of a risk of Tornados that will hit the area, so those who live in this area, tend to take a bit more precaution and keep an eye out on the storms in the area.

No it is not a map of tornado alley, it is a forcast map of areas that will potentially have severe weather this weekend. Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Here's the Accuweather update for today.

It's important to keep updating the forecasts as they change with each new set of model runs.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Very true Ketsuko. The patterns can definitely change throughout the day.

Here is the current threat area for Saturday night.

Dallas, Oklahoma City Brace for the Worst Tornado Potential of Season Yetext

A multiple-day outbreak of severe thunderstorms, including tornadoes, is set to begin Saturday night. The outbreak is likely to be the worst of the season so far and may end up being one of the top severe weather events for the season.

People will need to keep a close eye on the weather, watch for rapidly changing weather conditions and pay careful attention to severe weather and tornado warnings as they are issued.

One of the best indicators/warning signals IMO is ~ keep an eye on your pets.

link

edit on 26-4-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It appears that most everyone commenting on this thread is familiar with measures to take when under a potential tornado threat.

Posting the following link for those who are not familiar with tornado safety measures and/or anyone interested a refresher course.

Protect yourself when a tornado strikes

edit on 26-4-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone
It looks like as of now our Tornado threat is pretty low for tonight in central OK, It is hot and windy so storms seem likely though, we need all the rain we can get!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Saturday

Threat area: Severe thunderstorms are expected to develop along the dryline late in the day (a kind of front that differentiates between moist air to the east and dry air to the west) from western Texas northward into Oklahoma, Kansas eastern Nebraska and southeast South Dakota.

Hazards: Regions illustrated in red within the inset map (below) should prepare for large hail, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes.
Cities: Abilene, Texas | Oklahoma City | Wichita, Kan.

TOR:CON - 4 southwest OK, northwest TX; 2 to 3 rest of area

edit on 26-4-2014 by Havox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gluetrap

Wishing you all the rain you need, minus the high winds...

Where I sit, house snugged into the side of the top of the mountain. High winds out of the Southeast heading Northwest are the killer ones for me. My basement faces the front, going downhill, accessed via sliding glass doors and a single small windowz. (ATS filter won't let me write windowz minus the z)All the rest of it is underground and cinderblock. If it gets real bad and tornadoes are touching down anywhere around me. I bring all my goats in through the sliding glass door, and slap up a sheet of thick plywood on the inside and shove a bookshelf in front of it. Only had to do that once before...what a trip that was...

Stay safe...

Des

edit on 26-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

We have a storm shelter, it between the house and garage, which might mean we are stuck for a while if we ever truly need it. But living north of the city, just east of where the storms explode I don't care, better stuck than dead. We spent a week in Moore and Luther last year, rounding up injured lost dogs, digging out cats, and helping dig through rubble for important items. I had nightmares about the Park Plaza neighborhood for months after we helped out down there. I am a lifelong Okie and thought I understood bad weather, but moving to this part of the state last year was a bit of a shock.

Our dogs are unwilling to go in the shelter at this point, the plan is to toss them in if need be, a broken leg is better than dead!

I've been watching the storm chaser chatter this afternoon, it looks like tall mesoscales are finally going up in NW texas, if they can hold steady this event will be getting under way. Tulsa and points east look to be under the gun big time tomorrow, please be weather aware everyone!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gluetrap

I spoke with another member this morning, she lives in West Texas...she said the wind was starting to whip up good and strong there. She and her 13 kitties live in the middle of the desert. She keeps an eye on the tumbleweeds.

It's funny what we keep an eye on around our homes to gauge what freaky weather will do. When little waves start rolling across my pond down the hill, I know it's gonna be bad.

Are your dogs big? Can you drag them down into your shelter on leash? My goats follow me anywhere...they always think I have treats in my pockets...

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

They are big dogs, a hound mix and a heeler. They will usually follow me anywhere, but the combination of their depth perception, a steep ladder and the weird accoutics makes the shelter fairly terrifying to them. One won't even look directly at it if the door is open!

The wind out here is pretty strong today, but it is most days, it is certainly humid and warm too. I'm keeping a close e ye on the cells firing up in NW texas and it looks like some convection is starting between OKC and Tulsa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join