It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The proselytising atheist, why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
a reply to: borntowatch

Why does it annoy you?

Sounds like you have a preconceived notion of how you want the direction of a given thread to go.

When a religious thread is posted on a site with many opinionated sceptics, and a motto of "deny ignorance", invariably, and regardless of the topic, there will be people who think an OP is "ignorant" and will likely say something about it! ;-j

It is to be expected... and revelled in as it is an amazing age to have such freely shared freedom of thought, and such easy access to a myriad of communities.

Expecting any individual or group (athiests in this instance) to not post an opinion on a religious thread is a form of ignorance. There are many sites out there dedicated to various gods where a religious thread will be coddled to a set world view on religion, where "atheists" will be banned from posting... this site is dedicated to questioning, and as such will voraciously question any idea... especially ideas that hold at their core some perceived notion of absolute truth.

Taken with the fact that many people on this site see insitutionalised religion as a weed to furtile thought, anything that even hints at indoctrination will be quickly scrutinised.

Sorry... this OP just seems like an immature whine because "you're not getting your way".

If the ferociousness of his site is overwhelmikng, there is always the option of going to a site where people will pander to an idea set.

I think you have missed the point completely
I am not against the discussion, its simple to see for all and sundry that I am still here.

The clear and reasoned position I am operating from, that you have seemed to have missed is simply.
Why does every thread in this forum attract an unreasonable and unthoughtful flood of responses.

Even in part like your reply
If you had read my opening comment and then applied a gram of reasoning, you would understand my issue is not with the rebuttal.
I will explain it to you simply, just in case you you cant pick up on my position.

Why do the preachy fundy atheists act like their Christian contemporarys, understand?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: deadeyedick

originally posted by: rangerdanger

The oppression of thousands, and countless acts of murder and betrayal by religion.

Im not "anti-god" but you bet your ass I'm anti-religion.

All modern religion does is hold humanity back, with bronze age beliefs.
What is religion holding humanity back from?
Peace.
define your version of peace and maybe realize it is unatainable by the system we find ourselves in. Let's say that first we would need to stop killing humans. then we would need a cure for all sicknes. Then we would need to stop killing animals. Then no more killing plants. We would need to find resources that do not take away from earth. We would need to then realize that our every breath destroys. Soon the only peace we could find would be in death of us. The cycle just goes on and on. Now striving to help others and cause less harm is an atainable goal for now. Jesus has a place and a way to have the peace you desire. We live in a negitive system and the energy produced provides the foundation for heaven. I too long for peace but realized long ago that it comes from within by knowing that something better waits for us.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

How would your attitude and post differ if you did know for sure?

Oh, But I believe I know for sure.

I can entertain a thought with out accepting it.

My subjective experience has lead me to be as Sure about my world view as I am about anything else.

My post might be different if I "suspected" but for Me I know, and other people having countering views from me is not a danger to my own belief.
If one knows then they realize that those without belief will not be around after this life and that sends believers to try and pursuade others to find faith. However those trying to help start to seem just wrong and easy to disagree with because bad things happen here. It is a HELL of a system we find ourselves in and regret fills our hearts on the way home because of the lost ones. So GOD extends his mercy even further to try and save as many as possible while bringing more suffering to those who believe. It is in this manner that we suffer for our brothers and sisters.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rangerdanger

The oppression of thousands, and countless acts of murder and betrayal by religion.

Im not "anti-god" but you bet your ass I'm anti-religion.

All modern religion does is hold humanity back, with bronze age beliefs.
What is religion holding humanity back from?
Peace.
define your version of peace and maybe realize it is unatainable by the system we find ourselves in. Let's say that first we would need to stop killing humans. then we would need a cure for all sicknes. Then we would need to stop killing animals. Then no more killing plants. We would need to find resources that do not take away from earth. We would need to then realize that our every breath destroys. Soon the only peace we could find would be in death of us. The cycle just goes on and on. Now striving to help others and cause less harm is an atainable goal for now. Jesus has a place and a way to have the peace you desire. We live in a negitive system and the energy produced provides the foundation for heaven. I too long for peace but realized long ago that it comes from within by knowing that something better waits for us.
I see you missed the point.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
I am not against the discussion, its simple to see for all and sundry that I am still here.

Yet you're complaining about the quality of the responses, from your point of view.

Why does every thread in this forum attract an unreasonable and unthoughtful flood of responses.

Unreasonable and unthoughtful from your perspective. Maybe very considered and thought out if looked at from the other side.

I read many threads in this forum that seem to make very valid points from both sides of the fence.

Why do the preachy fundy atheists act like their Christian contemporarys, understand?

I understand this question very well... Though this is a very different premise than the OP... The OP contained nothing negative about Fundy Christians it was all aimed at the "anti religious, anti god, evangelical atheist mob" (atheist is not a faith by the way)...

If you're acually looking for an answer, and not just being rhetorical, then quite simply... Because there are always vocal extremes on either side of any argument... and they usually egg each other on. This site provides an arena for exactly that type of debate.

This very OP is a perfect example of it, filled with generalised inflamatory language that will almost certainly provoke the other side.

I don't think I misunderstood at all; I guess that's your opinion vs mine. I see you attacking a label (atheist), without any specifics, only generalised animosity towards an ideaology.

Ironic, because it's not fostering open discourse.

;-j

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere

Yet you're complaining about the quality of the responses, from your point of view.

Unreasonable and unthoughtful from your perspective. Maybe very considered and thought out if looked at from the other side.

I read many threads in this forum that seem to make very valid points from both sides of the fence.

I understand this question very well... Though this is a very different premise than the OP... The OP contained nothing negative about Fundy Christians it was all aimed at the "anti religious, anti god, evangelical atheist mob" (atheist is not a faith by the way)...

If you're acually looking for an answer, and not just being rhetorical, then quite simply... Because there are always vocal extremes on either side of any argument... and they usually egg each other on. This site provides an arena for exactly that type of debate.

This very OP is a perfect example of it, filled with generalised inflamatory language that will almost certainly provoke the other side.

I don't think I misunderstood at all; I guess that's your opinion vs mine. I see you attacking a label (atheist), without any specifics, only generalised animosity towards an ideaology.

Ironic, because it's not fostering open discourse.

;-j

Atheism is held as a faith by many atheists here on this forum,they preach and teach their belief as sincerely as believers. There is a branch of fundamentalist atheist as hardcore as the believer counterpart.
I am not saying all atheists have a faith in atheism.

Am I attacking then, no just asking a simple question as to their motivation. If you think its an attack then you are welcome to believe that.

As for the fact you seem to deny that atheists dont make unreasoned and unthoughtful posts on this forum. are you telling me every atheist who responds has a very considered and thought out response...seriously. I wouldnt say that about the believers here. Your faith in your brothers of disbelief is unequalled

Why are there vocal extremes of atheists, what is their agenda?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Maybe not an agenda... maybe just Balance?... For every extreme view there will arise an equal and opposite counter view.

Just as religious mission is about converting or saving lost souls, so are atheists trying to rid the world of fairy tales as truth.

Until the religious side can show undeniable truth to claims of an extreme being, there will always be those that question the validity of people pushing the idea of faith. On the flip side, unless logic, facts and reasoning become the reason for human interaction without needing to analogically define things, here will likely always be those who have faith in unproveable philosophies.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

What is your agenda with this thread? If you insist that every discussion with an atheist means the atheist has an agenda, then you surely have one with this thread... What is your agenda?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I am sick of it, sick of the constant preaching by the same old religious folk, sick of the demands I follow their faith.
Sick of the fact I have to be pressured to believe what they want me to believe

I just dont understand the motivation behind the God movement

:-)

Only had to change a couple of words - easy peasy - asked and answered

For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

You should really come back and complain about this if it continues for a few thousand years

edit on 4/26/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: an emphasis mine edit

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
To give you guys some decent competition, of course. You didn't think it would be as easy as posting your opinion on the internet, did you?

decent competition, have you read your own posts?

why are you afterinfinity so preachy.
Its a simple question, why do you spend so much time in this forum

I would classify you as the Fred Phelps of atheists around here, thats just my opinion

Uh oh, I think I hit a nerve.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

What is your agenda with this thread? If you insist that every discussion with an atheist means the atheist has an agenda, then you surely have one with this thread... What is your agenda?

My agenda...is to hear a non believer say they want to stop the preaching of the gospel, stop people hearing and teaching the gospel and ultimately stop others from accepting Christ.

My agenda is not secret, you just have to ask

Now lets clarify another thing, I dont insist that every discussion with an atheist means the atheist has an agenda. There are many reasonable and intelligent atheists
Lets not play games, dont change my words, change the meanings or take liberty's of what I have said.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I am sick of it, sick of the constant preaching by the same old religious folk, sick of the demands I follow their faith.
Sick of the fact I have to be pressured to believe what they want me to believe

I just dont understand the motivation behind the God movement

:-)

Only had to change a couple of words - easy peasy - asked and answered

For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

You should really come back and complain about this if it continues for a few thousand years

Oh Ha ha ha ha
That was so very clever, (sarcasm (that means irony)intended)

You copied my parody of a Christian parodying an atheist, that Christian upset with atheists preaching and turned it in to another parody of an atheist upset with a Christian.

You copied my parody with your parody...and then think you are clever
I am so sorry you missed what was so clearly obvious to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

No seriously, have you read some of your own comments

Read the one in this post. Surely you have more depth than "Uh oh, I think I hit a nerve.
", surely?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

No seriously, have you read some of your own comments

Read the one in this post. Surely you have more depth than "Uh oh, I think I hit a nerve.
", surely?

Lately, I've been making it a habit to respond to dramatic accusations with humor. It defuses the, ah, angst.
edit on 26-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 26-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

My agenda...is to hear a non believer say they want to stop the preaching of the gospel, stop people hearing and teaching the gospel and ultimately stop others from accepting Christ.

I don't think they want that. I know I don't care about that. I just want the "religious" to stop forcing their beliefs into others' lives by making laws based on religious belief. I don't care what you believe or what you say to people. Preach all day, I don't care. Just leave me out of it.

Lets not play games, dont change my words, change the meanings or take liberty's of what I have said.

Like you did to my words in this post? ... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Funny, all I seem to see these days are threads about how atheists are satanists, or are evil, or are whiny children, or one of any number of insults.

The real question is, why the push by members of this site recently to vilify atheists?

From my point of view you can be a follower of any religion or lack of religion and still be my definition of a satanist. God have created ways for the ego demonic ones to fool themselves into believing they are right even when they are lost.

A sheep is a sheep by the fruits no matter if they are atheists or follow any religion. And even atheists are by Jesus words protected by him since they are following him in action just like Jesus preached.

The problem I have with some atheists is that they are close minded (boxed in) and will not believe in kundalini or Reiki even if I use scientific methods to prove it. But then I have the same problem with some people following certain religions who do not want the science of spirituality to be quantified like science and known and proven for all.
edit on 26-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I am so sorry you missed what was so clearly obvious to me.

Ditto :-)

This is fun - endless fun

You know what borntowatch? You asked why. I showed you why

It wasn't parody - it was an answer

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

The problem I have with some atheists is that they are close minded (boxed in) and will not believe in kundalini or Reiki even if I use scientific methods to prove it. But then I have the same problem with some people following certain religions who do not want the science of spirituality to be quantified like science and known and proven for all.
Another flat out lie, and another prime example of the TOTAL lack of understanding of who atheists are.

I am an atheist. I believe, and have seen proof of, energy, chakras, etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Oh, so you're seeking a predetermined and pre approved response that any derivation of would likely be considered untrue or invalid. In all fairness I would say that the percentage of atheists of the mind set you ascribe to us all is as small or smaller than the percentage of Christians who handle rattle snakes during services. Just because a person does not believe in god and has no use for religion in their life doesn't mean we want to begrudge you to pray to god, baby Jesus or flying monkeys for that matter. Im far more interested in how you treat me as a person than to who or what you pray to. What you seem incapable of accepting is that there is an appropriate place for preaching and teaching your scriptures. It is in your houses of worship, your Sunday schools, your summer time Jesus Camp's and your own homes. Hell, you can even stand on a street corner and yell scripture at the top of your lungs while wearing a sign board while pontificating that the end is nigh if it makes you happy.

The only place I really draw the line is I public, tax payer funded places like public schools, court houses and state and federal legislatures or opening public, community meetings with prayer. Not wanting Christianity forced upon my children in public school in no way shape or form compromises your ability to believe, pray or preach.

Even if I was still Catholic I wouldn't want someone else's interpretation of Christianity forced upon my kids. I don't know what your denomination is, but if you were for example a Southern Baptist, Would you want a Catholic or perhaps a Mormon interpretation of Christianity pushed on your offspring in a public school? I'm willing to bet not. You guys like to make Christianity sound like a one size fits all comfort sized box when its more like a Russian Matryoshka doll so please, do everyone a favor and step down off your cross and stop playing martyr. It's getting a little sad. And for the record, if I were proselytizing and a religion unto myself please send me my tex exempt status ASAP because if we taxed churches we could drastically reduce the national debt but since nobody will, atheists are obviously not their own proselytizing religion because we all pay our taxes.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join