It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awww nuts... Giant wooden crucifix kills man at ceremony to honour John Paul II’s canonisation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Normally I don't cruise around this forum and participate as I am fairly neutral when it comes to religion... (although not neutral at all when it comes to the severe damage that religion can cause to peoples lives)

But... I thought that this little snippet of information might interest some people on this forum and create intelligent conversation and debate without the "I am higher than thou" attitude from some people or "the what a load of bulls testicles" from others (or any type of trolling in general for that matter...) :

Giant wooden crucifix kills man at ceremony to honour late pope John Paul II’s canonisation

A piece of the 30-metre-high wooden cross fell during the event near an Alpine village, killing the young man on the spot, Italian media reported.

The Jesus Christ statue on the cross is six metres high and weighs 600kg and the crucifix was curved and fixed to the ground with cables, the reports said.

Marco Gusmini, 21, was visiting the area with other young Catholics when the accident occurred.

at 20 or 21 years old.

Mayor Silvio Citroni said: “A young life, so many hopes destroyed.”

“The young people were making a snack for lunch and when they heard the crunching noises coming from the cross they fled in all directions. Unfortunately Marco ran in the wrong direction.”

The accident has raised comments about ‘ill omens’ as Italy prepares for the canonisation of the late Pope.

More information on the event here : www.news.com.au...

So... An Ill Omen to a poor believer on "Gods" behalf... or just woodworm/bad craftsmanship?... I go for the latter...

I would like to add as I am sure some posters might start getting all stroppy :

Sincere condolances to the family and loved ones of the deceased but maybe people should open their eyes REALLY WIDE and take off those blinkers and ear mufflers and have a (n) "If possible" listen to "rational and logical" people and look at the hundreds and/or thousands of innocent children as well as civilians that are maimed and killed every day all in the name of whatever RELIGION suits the cause of the warmongers... (and Geopolitical interests)...

RELIGION... what a hypocritical waste of innocent lives...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 25/4/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling... So what?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
wow they should have got the Romans to build it, they know how to make a good sturdy cross.

how ironic and sad.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
wow they should have got the Romans to build it, they know how to make a good sturdy cross.

how ironic and sad.

Erm... As this is in Italy I guess the Romans did build it Bigs?

(Unless there is a sticker on the back saying "made in China"?) What with the financial crisis and all that?... But then, saying that, the Roman Catholic church is probably one of the most richest religious authorities in the world?

Please correct me if I am wrong?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 25/4/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling again

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

They probably got china to make it instead haha!

stick to what your good at people!

(and if you are good at somthing never do it for free)
edit on b1818416 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

how ironic and sad.

They were kind of Romans, they were Italians. So that kind of counts.

Maybe they needed to learn how to build better.

I have never heard of the Wicker Man falling apart like that, but you know they used to kill people in the Wicker Man. Tragic though that Christianity is always mentioned as the only religion...hmmm.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

As a fairly religious person, I will offer up my opinion.

Man built the cross.
Man is fallible.
Ergo; so was the cross.

I see this as nothing different than if someone built a sign exalting the virtues of dairy products and someone dying because of a poorly mounted udder.

Maybe this could be a reminder, if you want to go the religious route, of how far from perfection we still are.

Maybe this is a reminder of how much we still need to grow.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
A human made cross means that sometimes workmanship is shoddy.
It's a sad accident. A young hopeful life lost ....

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Think about this :

The fallen cross represents the first stage of the resurrection. The moment when the cross was taken down is when Jesus duties on Earth (sacrifice) were completed.

But of course, what you posted is just an accident.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

(although not neutral at all when it comes to the severe damage that religion can cause to peoples lives)

You had me at "severe damage".

No further comment.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It was "Gods work". Apparently, God is as evil as Satan. God kills a lot of good people in some messed-up ways. I remember a news story once about a heli trying to set a cross on top of a church; A gust of wind or technical problems cause the heli to crash, killing the pilot, the guy at the cross and some people on the ground, I think. Yay Gawd Da!!!
God, instead of choosing all people as his "chosen, has instead chosen only one people and the rest are animals. Sorry, but I have a serious problem with God after my mom died last year. Maybe even long before that. We need a new God. This one needs de-throned, after all, it says in the book that there are other gods and NOT to put any of them before this spiteful murdering god. Little kids with cancer, innocent people in car crashes, suffering, dying by fire and other terrible wyas......this God has got to go!
edit on 25-4-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hmmm.....Mebbe someone upstairs doesn't approve.

Alternatively it could just be really bad luck.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Aw shucks, let me inject the crazy wild-eyed stuff into the thread for today's fodder.

First there was lightning striking the Vatican, then there were the peace doves getting attacked, now we have giant crosses massacring people!

Clearly, it's a conspiracy.

Or just bad construction.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Aw shucks, let me inject the crazy wild-eyed stuff into the thread for today's fodder.

First there was lightning striking the Vatican, then there were the peace doves getting attacked, now we have giant crosses massacring people!

Clearly, it's a conspiracy.

Or just bad construction.

& coincidences.....Don't forget to mention the coincidences!

2nd

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Rodinus

So where do you stand on secularism and the untold millions who have been killed in its name

Hey, its sad that a cross broke and killed some one, but as said before, it happens.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

originally posted by: Rodinus

Rodinus

So where do you stand on secularism and the untold millions who have been killed in its name

Hey, its sad that a cross broke and killed some one, but as said before, it happens.

I have no stance whatsoever with secularism, although sad at the same time that people have died too... but take a good look around you and look at what is sadly going on in the world (most armed conflicts are caused by religion)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot
Cmon, religions death toll pales in to insignificance compared to Darwinian inspired communism, the atheist lead political systems.
Hitler as well,(though he was new age) Darwinian, he believed Jews, Gypsies and eastern Europeans were sub human
en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
Like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot
Cmon, religions death toll pales in to insignificance compared to Darwinian inspired communism, the atheist lead political systems.
Hitler as well,(though he was new age) Darwinian, he believed Jews, Gypsies and eastern Europeans were sub human
en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

My apologies Borntowatch,

I don't want to get into a debate about this topic, this was not the aim of my original post.

But maybe someone else might want to?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
No No
No apologies necessary, sometimes I get on my high horse and get carried away.
This was one of them
Regards

top topics

join