It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD cop charged with DUI after shooting partner while on duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
www.policeone.com...

NEW YORK — An NYPD detective was arrested and charged with driving under the influence after shooting his partner in the wrist.

I have to question why he was just charged with DUI? He shot his partner in the wrist while they were both on the job. There should atleast be some negligent handling of a firearm charges thrown at him to.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Detective Jay Poggi was in a parked, unmarked police vehicle with his partner, Detective Matthew Sullivan, when the incident occurred. Both were on-duty.

The guy is pretty drunk to. He blew a .113 (legal limit is .08).

Detective Poggi showed his partner his service weapon — a Smith & Wesson revolver — when the gun discharged and struck Detective Sullivan in the wrist.

Police administered an alcohol test at the hospital and charged Poggi with driving while intoxicated. Poggi registered a 0.113. He appeared in Queens Criminal court and did not enter a plea. He was subsequently released pending a court hearing June 16, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Hopefully his partner will speak out against him. This guy deserves more than just a DUI.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

Don't count on it - his partner was okey-dokey with him being drunk off his ass armed on duty. Until he got shot.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Don't count on it - his partner was okey-dokey with him being drunk off his ass armed on duty. Until he got shot.

Im hoping he will speak out against him, but then again, maybe the partner was drunk to. (And with a BAC of .113, im sure he could smell it but didn't call him out on it/or was okay with it). I haven't found any articles that say the partner was/wasn't drunk to, so there's a chance there's more to this story than what I read in the article.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

He'll be back on duty in 3 months, the union will see to it.

After the usual stint in rehab of course.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
That is hililarous, I'll bet he was aiming for the hole in the doughnut, no that can't be right, he would have shot his partner in the cheek.

I think his partner should charge him with endangering a police officers life.

Imagine if his partner was holding a garden hose gun just bought from the hardware store, 12 rounds fro you mthr fkr

I thought it was funny....but I am on my 4th beer.

edit on 25-4-2014 by keenasbro because: to add

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Driving while intoxicated, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, negligent discharge, reckless endangerment... The list of violations this officer is guilty of is pretty extensive, especially if you consider that it is not just the law he has broken, but probably several internal policy articles of the force for which he works.

What a gormless twit!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
He was 'showing' his service pistol to his partner. I guess his partner never noticed it before.

Drunk on duty and driving. No, nothing to see here folks... move along now.

We are getting a sanitized version of the story. These are some of the folks that will be tasked with confiscating your illegal assault weapons, New Yorkers!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hmmmmmmm

He'll be back on duty in 3 months, the union will see to it. After the usual stint in rehab of course. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't think so-he is toast-as he should be. The discharging of the weapon is a felony-the rest he could slide on.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hmmmmmmm

He'll be back on duty in 3 months, the union will see to it.

After the usual stint in rehab of course.

He'll be back on duty after a 3 month paid vacation.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: spooky24
a reply to: Hmmmmmmm

He'll be back on duty in 3 months, the union will see to it. After the usual stint in rehab of course. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't think so-he is toast-as he should be. The discharging of the weapon is a felony-the rest he could slide on.

Killing dogs and unarmed people in the wrong house are also felonies. Did they lose their job? Have you read anything on here in the last.... Well since ATS was first founded?
Firepiston
edit on 25-4-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

top topics

join