It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists suggest babies cry at night to prevent....siblings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Looks like I was successful. Muhahahahahahaha.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
How much do you want to bet that the scientist who headed this particular study has is own infant at home and has been feeling a little.. frustrated

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Well at least "the dummy" is finally the useful answer.

And I do not mean the useless academic dummy who did the study.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's younger babies that cry more. So how would this be true, by the time that mom is even ready to have another baby first baby is already sleeping through the night. Why don't they do a study to see why people do studies like this one and get paid to come up with something like this that is questionable at best.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JValhalla

-pinches niece, Baby Bun, to cry all the time until Toast-sister finds a decent Toastman-worthy man-

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: candlestick
Babies see the world as an extension of themselves and aren't capable of understanding how their actions affect others.

I am going to disagree with your statement that most babies cry due to a lack of care. Some yes, but it is also personality based. Some babies just cry more than others. My oldest could have been completely neglected and he would still have a big smile on his face and found something to amuse himself with until food or a diaper change finally came around. Nothing bothered that kid! His younger brother on the other hand screamed and cried no matter what and it was not for lack of care, my whole world revolved around what I could do to help him cry less. It was just his personality. One child was happy go lucky, the other was sensitive and liked order in his universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I don't think this happened on my father's side of the family. He is from a family of twelve siblings and they were one or two years apart.
On the flip side, interestingly they are now passing away one or two years apart.

Funerals suck....

Kratos

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Good one, Makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
My oldest son used to cry for my attention all the time, non stop.....but it didn't stop his dad and I from conceiving his younger brother only 10 weeks after he was born.

I don't think youngest siblings cry more, my daughter is my third and youngest and she never ever cried, always smiling and content....and now she is 10 and she's still the same.

I don't agree with the study cause like somebody already mentioned, you can conceive again whilst the baby is napping...you just have to time it well! hahaha

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

If scientist don't do human experiments,we will never know the truth.
They can design a controlled experiment like this :
(Use newborns who never been take care.)
Never feed group A babies enough food ,only feed them small amounts of food to keep them survive,keep them away from human contact,only give them living necessities.
And then give different control groups different degree of care.

Finally,calculate the numbers of babies who like crying at night ,notice they usually from which group.It's
frustrating that we know not too much human experiments results.Elites must did human experiments long time ago.
"Cry at night" could be congenital ,but I believe this is a part of the program ,the program should be like this

If (The individual didn't get enough take care from caregiver,the definition of enough care are different by different individual ,but it's normal distribution),
echo “crying voice”
else
echo “smile"

In this program ,they don't need to understand how their actions affect others.

I think the smiling one easier die in accident,by attachment theory.
edit on 25-4-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
i thought it was because the sibling wants to eat them.

rip chumly. yum.

anyway, babies cry and make your life hell.

at least til you can beat them to sleep.

my kids are 25+yo and still afraid of microwave ovens.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
If we read the whole article:

Of course, babies don’t have the wherewithal to be interrupting their mothers’ fertility intentionally. It’s just that in our past, babies who cried to be nursed at night had a survival edge, Haig proposes.

Source

It's a billion times less exciting when its worded like that no?

(Side note: most of evolutionary psychology theory like this is impossible to test, because the less successful babies were ... you know ... less successful. We can't exactly invite them on to Johnny Carson.)
edit on 25-4-2014 by Pinke because: Side note

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Ok, Dr. Candlestick Mengele, if someone does your experiment with babies they may find that those that they starve and leave alone usually will come back years later with gripes and blowtorches. BadAttitude Babies may themselves not know themselves the best way to give a child a loving home, and when their own babies start to cry, watch out below.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Oh believe me I know. Which probably accounts for why my kids are so far apart in age. The oldest is 39, the next one is 32 and the baby just turned 18 yes that 21 years between the first one and the last one. Talk about coitus interuptus. a reply to: Bedlam

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Ok, Dr. Candlestick Mengele, if someone does your experiment with babies they may find that those that they starve and leave alone usually will come back years later with gripes and blowtorches.

Dr. Mengele?Exaggerated
I know many nurseries only give 1 year old kids living necessities without human contact. Their parents voluntarily send them into nurseries.Therefore,I think it's quite normal in modern society .

BadAttitude Babies may themselves not know themselves the best way to give a child a loving home, and when their own babies start to cry, watch out below.

I really want to know the divorce rate and marriage rate of those babies who never been care ,it's a fascinating topic for me.It's impossible to do human experiments ,because I am not a elite.But I noticed that most of "ass holes" in romance relationship have very bad relationship with their parents.Highly recommend avoid them(Keep it down, they don't want me to tell the truth ),although some of them would try to get a boyfriend/girlfriend very desperately,maybe they would get you.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I must agree with the title precisely. When my last child was several months old and moved to her own bedroom, I became aware that her sudden crying was mysteriously timed with her amorous parents 20 or 30 feet away. While it could be cited that sex can be a noisy activity and attract the attention of nearby other people (whether in the same house or nearby tenants in an apartment), that didn't quite follow in our experience. It was understood that preliminary activities of a sexual nature would soon start a squalling from her direction. I had no problem accepting that fact as merely another aspect of what our authorities don't understanding and don't want to know about thought transference in all creatures. Now that quantum theory has entered the room(y) heads of many scientists across several disciplines, some very old entrenched ideas of what was formerly unthinkable are being dashed by a new, broader understanding. Amen. It is time.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
While it could be cited that sex can be a noisy activity and attract the attention of nearby other people (whether in the same house or nearby tenants in an apartment), that didn't quite follow in our experience. It was understood that preliminary activities of a sexual nature would soon start a squalling from her direction.

Preliminary activities of a sexual nature?How could a baby detect it ?Maybe just because you are too noise.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Now that quantum theory has entered the room(y) heads of many scientists across several disciplines, some very old entrenched ideas of what was formerly unthinkable are being dashed by a new, broader understanding. Amen. It is time.

Except that's not what is occurring at all.

The theory is nothing to do with psychic babies using quantum physics to psychically recognize it's date night ... It's a claim that babies who cried more had a 'survival edge' due to more receiving more attention and not having the competition of a brother or sister.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My baby didn't cry at night, no more than any other time.

Of course, she slept with me, and she nursed when she needed to, which was about every 2 hours, which is what babies will do if you let them do what is natural and not what a nursing schedule designed for adult convenience mandates.

Some babies may cry more because we have forced them into a surreal and unnatural cultural environment where the mother dumps their ass in a crib and walks away. You don't see much of that in tribal cultures.

"Evolution's End" by Joseph Chilton Pearce was an interesting look at what we do during childbirth, and sometimes after, that is completely contrary to what is actually good for mother and child.

Edit to add: they nurse less often as they age, as they sleep longer.
edit on 26-4-2014 by RedCairo because: addition

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Babies can be conceived in the daytime too.

Yes, so I've heard.

However, when you're part of a small, tightly-knit hunter-gatherer tribe it may not be so easy. Ever wonder why humans need privacy to have sex? It's because it upsets other members of the tribe who aren't getting any nookie themselves. They may take revenge, or get ideas about your partner. The difficulties are, of course, multiplied if the liaison is adulterous.

The natural human sleep cycle also seems to be designed to promote sex at nighttime.

Finally, even a small evolutionary advantage is likely to spread in the gene pool. If individuals who cried at night as babies ended up having more offspring than those which didn't, that would do the trick.

A more interesting objection may be raised with reference to sociobiology. Siblings share half each others' genes — so they have an incentive to support each others' survival as well as to compete with each other.

This is rather an interesting study, and I would not be so quick to discount it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join