It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA747 frequent flier miles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
NASA747 on Flightaware

Nine to ten hour flights, round robin (departure and arrival airport PMD). It would be nice to know why they are up to.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
According to en.wikipedia.org... NASA only owns two 747s. One is an aerial observatory called, "SOFIA". The other is a Space shuttle carrier.

The picture of the 747 on the link you provided, shows the SOFIA 747. From wikipedia:

This telescope is designed for infrared astronomy observations in the stratosphere at altitudes of about 41,000 feet

From the link you provided:

Altitude 41,000 feet (planned: 41,000 feet)

Leaving from KPMD as planned

The SOFIA Observatory is based at NASA's Neil A. Armstrong Flight Research Center at LA/Palmdale Regional Airport,

So my guess is they are probably doing some astronomy.
edit on 24-4-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

I didn't say it is flying over Area 51. The plane is based at KPMD, which is a base in a general sense. It is comprised of the Palmdale civilian airport, closed for years, Plant 42, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop, and a NASA facility in the south east corner.

Sofia

I didn't realize NASA747 is the Sofia plane, which is a bit embarrassing since I toured it at NASA Ames. ;-0

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
a reply to: smithjustinb

I didn't say it is flying over Area 51.

Yeah. I edited that. I thought you said that, but realized you put this in the Area 51 and other facilities forum and wasnt paying attention to the "and other facilities" part at the time.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It was indeed the SOFIA 747SP (registration N747NA). It flies right over my house on the way out (just as a B-2 did a few minutes ago). The remaining 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (N911NA) is grounded at Palmdale to provide spare parts for the SOFIA aircraft.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadowhawk
It was indeed the SOFIA 747SP (registration N747NA). It flies right over my house on the way out (just as a B-2 did a few minutes ago). The remaining 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (N911NA) is grounded at Palmdale to provide spare parts for the SOFIA aircraft.

Is there a boneyard in the general area, or do they have the old shuttle carrier at the NASA building? I've only seen the NASA building from the distance, and never noticed any junk near it.

top topics

join