It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amused Part Time Atheist.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I do not currently believe in a God, a supreme being, entity or anything similar that is responsible for everything. I believe we are "Starstuff" on a journey with no beginning or end and that starstuff wasn't created but has been forever and is constantly changing forever. I also believe there was possibly no big bang but a big collision between what already was which is far more logical in the big scheme of things. I don't blindly follow the "Scientists Say" brigade. Basically I'm just a speck here for the ride who's beliefs have nothing to do with religion.

When the subject of god and religion is discussed, I gladly offer my opinions and arguments honestly and I try to help people think outside the box. The label of "Atheist" is often given at these times. At any other time, I am just a person, no label required and it is certainly not a way of life. I don't go around trying to convince anybody about Atheism as a belief system although I know there are those that do, and that there are and have been organised schools of thought to do that. I also do my best not to ridicule those who do believe but have great fun with serious "happy clappers" just for entertainment. The whole concept of religious debate between opposing forces brings a stubborness almost unique among humanity and arguing about it is a waste of time and energy because we cannot KNOW any single answer.

Basically, I think modern day Atheism has evolved into the use of a label to create a target for a finger pointing scenario by those who need to argue support for their belief, deny their ignorance of more possibilities or feed their personal insecurities...it can be consuming.....well, that isn't my problem and trying to pin a label on me and other non religious believers ultimately won't work in most cases because the moment most Atheists stop talking about religion the label usually dissappears. Atheism isn't a way of life but a reaction imo.

So if you label someone these days as an Atheist, remember what creates that label and remember that it is often just a label of defense pinned on by an opponent in a battle where the shield is common sense and the weapon is logic. Respect it as you would have your own beliefs respected, whatever they are, and remember that it was given to them ironically by those who choose to do battle in the first place.

God may exist, I'm quick to admit that, but merely one of the possibilities I imagine way out there on the outskirts of this reality. We could be a program in "The Matrix" or on "The 13th Floor" in some grand simulation, everything may just be a figment of an imagination called ME, but until it/he/she/they reveal themselves to me personally I'm happy being starstuff on a ball of dirt hurtling through a dark void on it's way to nowhere with absolutely no obvious point or purpose. I would like to be part of a sun one day though.

Like I said, I'm here for the ride and I don't need no stinkin' badges. Try and convince me of god and I will gladly wear the badge you pin on me.....but you can have it back as soon as we are finished. That's my freedom without religion.

Have fun.

PS...inspired by knee-jerk stuff like this: Are Atheist just a cover for Satanists?
edit on 23/4/2014 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I'm sorry I judged you wrong in that thread. I was directing my argument towards atheists -- or anyone for that matter, who tries to stuff their belief down your throat.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: brazenalderpadrescorpio

who tries to stuff their belief down your throat.

Or non belief...lol

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Just do what I do, kickback and make a margarita while they argue.

edit on 23-4-2014 by blueyezblkdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

What have you.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I could say that I agree with you. I'm not much into labels, since we evolve over time. Knowledge itself evolves over time. Knowledge in general among humans has sky-rocketed exponentially. We've learned a great deal, and I'm sure there's much to learn still. And that's my beef with religion. To roughly quote Neal Degrasse Tyson, organised religion is just to small. It doesn't impress me. And it doesn't explain nearly enough. It just leaves me with compounding questions with fewer and fewer answers with mounting confusion. It just opens up a endless rabbit hole.

Sometimes I just idly wonder if we are just the size of an atom inside of a larger universe. And maybe an atom inside of a universe, that is inside of yet another universe, and so on. Perhaps the "big bang" was nothing more than a quantum leap talked about within quantum physics. Two literal worlds smashing together to form something new. Perhaps our universe is one of many other universes. Or perhaps we are an insignificant basically nothing "cell" within another living, breathing creature. The whole subject interests me. It's basically like the ultimate puzzle. It's a challenge to me. Nobody has been able to crack it. And probably never will.

Anyway, I'm starting to babble. Back to the topic at hand. I usually consider myself an atheist, or agnostic, usually for lack of a better term. Well, perhaps agnostic atheist would better suit a related predetermined label. I don't really care to go about telling people what my thoughts are unless they ask. Though I keep it brief almost always. Since most people tend to look at me funny when I explain to them that my thoughts on god are heavily skeptical if not nearly non-existent. I don't know what it is, a lot of people view atheists as some kind of angry at the world people who are some kind of god haters or something. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of organised religion. All it is is literally taking someone else's words and making them your own and living by them. And if you ask me, there's not much work in that, it's quite lazy. As I said, I like the challenge, and people should at least look around and really look at what is all out there. And come to a conclusion on how they think they should live their own lives. It won't hurt you. There's much insight and perspectives to go around. I can say that snippets of different religions/philosophies have helped shape what I think today. People shouldn't have to live in fear and intimidation when it comes to wondering about such things. It's almost like some kind of taboo in modern day America. It makes me scratch my head. Yet, there are a great deal of people who point the finger at you and call you a bad guy because you don't believed in their set-in-stone belief system.

Well, that was my quick two cents. Don't want to keep going on and on. Call it what you will, it makes no difference to me.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Funny thing, there are two people who can't decide if they are atheist or agnostic.

If you are an atheist then you can't be agnostic because atheism is the belief of non-belief, or the choice to not believe in any spiritual side whatsoever. Agnostic means that you simply don't know.

It's a strange time when atheism is no longer atheism. Which is what my side has been saying all along, there is no true atheism.

So the two on this thread who are agnostic, then why feel sorry for saying you simply don't know? The OP said a belief in something, so the OP is a believer in something. That's the start of a new religion, even if the OP is the only adherent to that.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Lovely post! From one spec of stardust to another.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
The OP said a belief in something, so the OP is a believer in something. That's the start of a new religion, even if the OP is the only adherent to that.

Sorry, but I think you read WAY too much into my OP.

Believing in something does not automatically assume anything to do with religion, that's just OTT.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Lovely post! From one spec of stardust to another.

Thanks B H, we may be specs, but it's amazing how powerful we can be in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: brazenalderpadrescorpio

What have you.

Care to clarify that question a little. I'm intrigued.

If I was to say that I embrace truth from my senses and consider new information with as much freedom of thought as I can, does that help.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

If you are an atheist then you can't be agnostic because atheism is the belief of non-belief, or the choice to not believe in any spiritual side whatsoever. Agnostic means that you simply don't know. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Neither of those are accurate definitions. In fact, many definitions list them as synonyms.

Agnostic atheism is a very real thing.

But its ok, most religion pushers arent exactly the type to worry about facts.
edit on 24-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The term atheist and other like terms are church-invented rhetorical devices once used to demonize those who didn't believe a certain way. Christians were once considered atheists for example. By accepting the label, the atheist is merely playing the part as laid out by the prevailing religions, and never swings too far from the religious tree.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

If you are an atheist then you can't be agnostic because atheism is the belief of non-belief, or the choice to not believe in any spiritual side whatsoever. Agnostic means that you simply don't know.

You're mistaken about the meanings. I'm an agnostic atheist.

Take a deep breath.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

No, I meant that you were right. Just that the semantics were different. We're in agreement.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You're mistaken about the meanings. I'm an agnostic atheist.

Take a deep breath.

You know, I am 47 years-old now. In my whole life those who called themselves atheists generally said there is no God and agnostics have said they don't know who is God or what the spiritual force is.

I have met many atheists and I have met many agnostics. I have been on many forums over the years. I have been on Paltalk and Yahoo chat and they have always said the same thing. Now you tell me the definitions have changed. Are you new to this?

Call yourself an agnostic atheist, but you have changed the definitions of both, and if there are any out there my age or older, you will recall that we were always told what they were, by those who were.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Wow you poor non believers (I wont offend you and call you athiests any more), it was never my intention to offend by defining you with a label that the religious invented (did they?)
Have you another name you would prefer to be called.

Personally as a Christian I dont like the term religious, its a label non believers like to lump every one with a faith in anything into.
But I can live with it

I guess with a little tweaking I could copy and paste your whole post and make the same argument

Funny isnt it.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

Personally as a Christian I dont like the term religious, its a label non believers like to lump every one with a faith in anything into.

And yet you use the label "Christian" willingly, that's funny

BTW..."faith" isn't exclusive to religion. I have faith in my ability to cook but it has nothing to do with religion.

I think you need to rethink your argument.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

And yet you use the label "Christian" willingly, that's funny

BTW..."faith" isn't exclusive to religion. I have faith in my ability to cook but it has nothing to do with religion.

I think you need to rethink your argument.

I also use the generic term atheist to describe those who dont believe.
I fail to see the humour in labelling myself Christian.

If faith isnt exclusive to religion then atheists have faith God doesnt exist making them believers, ie, religious?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

If faith isnt exclusive to religion then atheists have faith God doesn't exist making them believers, ie, religious?

As has been explained to you many many times.....atheists merely reject the claims made by theists (you guys)

Nothing more and nothing less, no faith is required to reject a claim.
edit on 26-4-2014 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join