It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy to deploy combat dolphins for Black Sea military "drills"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Couple of snippets from both RT.com... (yea yea, I know some of you don't trust them) and also the Daily Mail :

American combat dolphins and sea lions will undergo a lengthy plane flight in order to participate in NATO war games in the Black Sea, a spokesman for the US Navy's marine mammals program reportedly said.

Twenty dolphins and ten sea lions will take part in the drills, which will last between one and two weeks, spokesman Tom LaPuzza said, as cited by Izvestia newspaper.

The war games are one of eight joint NATO-Ukrainian military exercises scheduled to take place this year.

During their Black Sea stay, the US dolphins will test a new anti-radar system, designed to disorientate enemy sonars. Both sea lions and dolphins will look for mines and military divers, LaPuzza said.

More here : rt.com...

And the Daily Mail has this to say :

Go Flipper go! Could American and Russian combat dolphins - who have already defected from the Ukraine - clash in the Black Sea over the Crimea crisis?

Moscow-based newspaper Izvestia said the exercises, which could see American military dolphins nose-to-nose with their Russian counterparts, are expected to last for up to two weeks.

The Black sea has become a tense focal point for Russian and Western navies amid the current crisis in Ukraine

More in depth information here : www.dailymail.co.uk...

So... 600 troops, a US Warship and now the dolphins and Sea lions huh?

Lets hope that animals on both sides meet up and mate and show these war mongers on all sides what the meaning of peace really means

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Oh my.

If true, things are gettin real weird around these times.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Flippin mad!!

They have been using dolphins for anti mine work and other sea ops for many many years.

Flying them to other seas for combat exercises for some reason feels over the top, but using a fish for this stuff in the first place is some what bananas so i dont know why i should be surprised.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This is silly, but things will get sillier in the future. Imagine, combat mechanical insects.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Wow. I did not know this.

You have to consider, though, that sea lions, and especially Dolphins, are incredibly smart. A Dolphin is practically a human being confined to a life of permanent, sea-bound, swim life. But their awareness and ability to be trained to do tasks? Pretty damn incredible.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheOneElectric
This is silly, but things will get sillier in the future. Imagine, combat mechanical insects.

Reminds me of the modern take of The Day the Earth Stood Still. All those nano insects just DEVOURING...everything.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Flippin mad!!

They have been using dolphins for anti mine work and other sea ops for many many years.

Flying them to other seas for combat exercises for some reason feels over the top, but using a fish for this stuff in the first place is some what bananas so i dont know why i should be surprised.

You can still be surprised since they don't use fish for this stuff in the first place, so no bananas.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheOneElectric

I hate wasps already, imagine weaponised wasps

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
So when will the Blue Angels deployed to show off against the Russian Knights?
*snicker*

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

..maybe they're already here?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Its a saddening thing when we as man force animals to do our dirty work for us :

From monkeys used as live incendiary devices at the beginning of the Southern Song Dynasty to turkeys affixed with valuable supplies and dropped like edible parachutes on the defenders of the monastery of Santa Maria de la Cabeza during the Spanish Civil War, the innovative and very often inhumane ways in which animals have been used in war throughout history are many and diverse. As well as being turned into weapons, they have been transportation for personnel and equipment, as well as troop morale-boosters in the role of mascots.

More here : www.military-history.org...

And this : 10 Astounding Animals of Mass Destruction : www.ranker.com...

Not to mention the research carried out on many different species (including primates and pigs) for military purposes... whether it be ballistic or NBC...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23/4/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

This is actually somthing i completely agree with.

Why are we (some people) just okay to assume that an animal that can be trained to do somthing is more ethical than a human, because the task is potentially deadly.

Its not like evil nazi dolphins from Antarctica are planting mines.....
edit on b5757314 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Yes, using animals is sickening - but, how much carnage could be found if you sent "smarter than politicians" monkeys into d.c.?

We could all be free!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Happy1

Yes, using animals is sickening - but, how much carnage could be found if you sent "smarter than politicians" monkeys into d.c.?

We could all be free!

Not just in DC Happy, throughout all capitals in the supposedly "civilized" world...

Ever seen Dawn of the planet of the Apes?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I suppose the next move will be the Russians releasing their 'combat sharks' and 'combat Orcas' to deal with the puny American Dolphin and Sea lion threat...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

I suppose the next move will be the Russians releasing their 'combat sharks' and 'combat Orcas' to deal with the puny American Dolphin and Sea lion threat...

No I don't think the Russians are doing that... it's the US :

Pentagon develops brain implants to turn sharks into military spies :

Military scientists in the United States are developing a way of manipulating sharks by remote control to turn them into underwater spies or weapons.

Engineers funded by the Pentagon have created electronic brain implants for fish that they hope will be able to influence the movements of sharks and perhaps even decode what they are sensing.

More here : www.independent.co.uk...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Whoops, double post... my apologies

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23/4/14 by Rodinus because: Double post

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
What next? Sharks with laser beams?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
What next? Sharks with laser beams?

not just any laser beams, freaking laser beams!!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Doesn't surprise me Rodinus.

I would imaging they would be particularly useful for tagging ship and submarine hulls so homing missiles and torpedos will guide themselves to target, and there'd be literally nowhere to run.

A shark would go unnoticed, be controlled to swim alongside a sub or ship, attach a micro GPS tracker or other tiny homing device and that would be enough to track and plot the movements of entire fleets, or guide weapons towards them they can't out manouver however much they twist and turn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join