It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or the Ads in ATS are Becoming More Intrusive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I understand ATS needs some revenue from ads, but I notice the ads lately have been getting rather intrusive. What's with the automatic play of video ads? The sudden loud ads have startled me more than a few times.

Then this:

There was no way to close the ad. I tried clicking everywhere.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurius

Those should not happen.

We don't like auto play ads, and SO routinely tries to get rid of them.

As far as I know.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have no issues while using my iOS devices except when I'm logged out. I can say things can get whacky when I'm viewing on a PC.

I much prefer using iOS.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I had to change browsers because the last one was getting bogged down. In fact I'm hearing one now, I'll have to find it and kill it.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Kill Flash, that'll do it.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

yes they are piiissssiiiing me off big time! Keep cocking me up when trying topost!

iam on a tablet btw

edit on 22-4-2014 by BoovDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well OK then...I too noticed an intrusion on my screen real estate by ads. I have more than once blown my head off by forgetting how loud my volume is when I've inadvertently rolled my mouse across an audio trigger. I hope as "Tenth' said it shouldn't happen but unfortunately....It does.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

In the screen shot you are not logged in.

Do you notice a difference in frequency/placement of ads when logged in vs. browsing as a guest?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I know how to fix that.

I see no ads ever.

Am I allowed to say how?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

I'm sure everyone here knows what an ad blocker is. However:

In our Terms and Conditions which all members agreed to upon joining ATS it states

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Terms and Conditions of Use

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums

I'm sure everyone here knows what an ad blocker is. However:

In our Terms and Conditions which all members agreed to upon joining ATS it states

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Terms and Conditions of Use

That's what I thought, that's why I asked.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

Hey you old such and such! Haven't seen you around for awhile.

OP, when you are logged out the ads pop up. I've also had them pop up on the front page. The autoplay stuff really aggravates me. I just bookmarked Recent Topics and go there instead of navigating from the front page.

That or you can be like me and post every stupid thought/opinion that pops into your head until you no longer get any ads on the site.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Too much for me. I had to listen to two ads just reading this thread. Delete this if you wish, but there are plenty of other sites that i can read in peace and not be FORCED to listen to the latest Dodge Ram advert. Small price to pay you may reply, but I don't want to turn my speaker down/mute, not even as go to as much trouble as blocking your ads. If other sites can do what you do without looking for extra $, then that tells me a lot, and it's not worth my effort.

Regards,

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i think a conspiracy website that conforms to the goose-stepping materialism it decries is not an actual conspiracy website?

someone in the background here just said "it's like animal lib getting funding from McDonalds"

just rename them fusion centre social networks already;

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising tracking while using the Websites.

if jesse & ATS start selling those berkey water filters i think we all better head for the hills

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Yep, drives me bananas... Some days, that darn full page car ad will pop up every few seconds. No matter how many times I X that puppy out... Who wants to be harassed every few seconds by a full page ad that blocks EVERYTHING no matter how many times you try to make it go away?

The loud mouth ads that start screaming at you, when trying to watch a video, or read a post is unbearable.

When that happens... I just leave ATS altogether and head over to Alex Jones.

ATS didn't use to harass visitors with annoying pop up ads. Why do you do it now??????? Ya-all, really should address the problem. Why alienate your visitors? Is it really worth it in the long run???

What good are the pop ups, if they are running your visitors away? They might pay for your web site, right now, but if you have a drop in viewership, eventually, the advertisers will go away too. Then what?

Not hating... Just saying....... Love ATS but the pop ups really suck.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Please... DO TELL...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

It's not just on ATS it's all over the internet! I'm sure there's big money being made on how intrusive and in your face an advertiser can place their ad. Consumers are paying for internet service, they should at least have a say on how much if any information should be distracted in the privacy of their homes. Considering the cost of internet service, consumers should receive a percentage or discount for allowing advertisements to come into the privacy of their homes. It's just like bulk mail, I didn't ask for all this crap to come into my home. Consumers should be compensated by corporations who tread on our privacy. They always come up with added on charges to pass onto consumers, it's about time consumers start charging corporations for access into our homes!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums

Do you notice a difference in frequency/placement of ads when logged in vs. browsing as a guest?

I'm not that observant, I'm afraid.
Besides, I try to log in only when I need to post and log out immediately when done. That has become a habit. The PC isn't used by me alone.

I do try to click some ads ...often arbitrarily. I would much prefer ATS to have less-frequent, non-intrusive pop-up reminders for members to click on static ads and ban video ads all together as videos tend to slowdown other stuffs. Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join