It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of avatar picture you most dislike?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
That is true..We are Avatarily spoiled here on ATS.
We get big ones.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Flyers Fan's is one of my favs on here. I had just seen the South Park episode where the plants are a cult or ehatever, and emo kids get sent away to emo rehab camp. Too funny-

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: newsoul

I generally do not like the ones that move either. I think they loop too quickly and become distracting, like a record skipping.

I haven't put an avatar up because I usually (well, 100% of the time this last yr) post from a phone. I do not want to undertake avatar-editing & posting on a phone.
But before that, I didnt post one because I felt it was too ego-involved. I still kind of feel like that.
Also, there's a function in the setting which allow one to disable avatar-viewing in pages. I think it is still an option in this newish ATS design. But I switched phones & began seeing avatars.

edit on 22-4-2014 by kkrattiger because: Egregious typso

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I don't dislike any tbh
And my favorite avvies are Confessions,Dolls,and ones of celebs that I like x3

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: candlestick

That's the funny thing about avatars ... sometimes viewers get an impression one way and the user is putting them up as an impression another way. I can't help but see 'young japan' when I see yours. It's not a bad thing. It's just that it reminds me of when I was in Japan ... the gentle cartoons and soft colors ...

The reason of me use this avatar is "Don't judge people by the avatar picture ".

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I'm with Des...The eye with the bug crawling out of it creeps me out!!!!!!! I can't even read their posts and have to quickly scroll past, which is too bad.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: candlestick

I don't like scary looking avatars,or ones that look too childish. All others -even the flashing ones- are fine by me.

I enjoy creating avatars and seeing other members here wear them.

I'm mostly into GoT, Fantasy, anything mystical, but also like steampunk, and on moody days dark themed ones.

edit on 23/4/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Please don't accuse me of stuff, OK? It's uncivilized. I'm not intentionally lying to you for my own amusement.

I didn't accuse you of anything, your making that up. And, I certainly didn't call you a liar or claim you to be. Your making this up too.

It's my guess that local settings and monitors affect what we see, and that what you see is not always what the rest of us see, i.e.: your "white" may appear "grey" to me or some other color combination. With as many colors and hues as there are on modern video cards, it's inevitable that they don't always translate directly and "accurately" in terms of what you see yourself. It may be that what *I* see is abnormal and what *you* see is normal, or it may be the opposite. I don't have a way of knowing one way or another. I use a plain old cheap laptop--nothing fancy, unique, or otherwise strangely configured.

I'm well aware of this and had you taken heed of what I said in This Post you would have saved your self some time posting the meaning behind my post.

I have noticed that quite a few people choose a background color that is incompatible with their text color, which makes the text either difficult or impossible to see, though you can often left-click and roll over the area to expose the text. That means you user name, your tagline, your mood, location, and other attributes are effectively hidden from view, but if someone intentionally wants to disassociate themselves from their own posts, fine.

I am also well aware of this too, hence me doing it. Why do you feel the need to point out the obvious to a member that's obviously doing it?

I get the impression, though, that this is not at all intentional and is, instead, the result of inattention as much as anything. Why go to all the trouble of all that just to obscure it?

It's no trouble, honestly. Quite easy really

Besides, I had my reasons.

Some people put a lot of effort into their avatars with custom designs and such; some don't even bother with one. But most, I suspect, want to convey some sort of impression with their avatar that conveys how they want to appear to the rest of us.

I am aware of this too, hence me doing it. And I agree, an avatar can speak volumes. To each their own, right?

Your George Carlin avatar is a good example, as you have stated.

Cheers, I chose it well

You like the "no B.S." approach of Carlin, and you want that kind of attitude displayed with your posts.

Indeed I do. I have had the No BS approach for many, many years now. Long before ole George came in to my life. In regards to my attitude, well George is a great help

In addition to this, I am not always ole George, no, I am usually quite a peaceful guy, a spiritual guy who contributes to various forums such as that of spirituality, animals, jokes and what not. I don't always limit my self to attacking the BS, though it can be quite fun!

IMO people do judge avatars, and they also instigate a certain emotional response that carries through reading a post. Huge, macho, militaristic avatars of screaming super heroes with swords drawn convey aggression, for example, where sheep and rainbows covey an element of passivity.

I am well aware of this. I don't see why you feel the need to explain the obvious.

Whatever floats your boat,

Cheers. Finally we are getting somewhere. You wrote that whole " obvious " out then claim I can do whatever I want Ie: Floats your boat? Strange, very strange indeed

but the idea that avatars do NOT invoke responses or that hey don't mean anything is, I think, erroneous.

I never once claimed anything of the sort. Unless your just speaking in general, in that case I am aware of this too so don't see why your pointing out the obvious.

It's my belief you chose me to attempt to give me a hard time. If you had said at the beginning that you can " barely " see my text or " Its there but I have to look really close to see it, instead of saying " It was there " without giving a rational explanation then you, in my eyes, are just trolling.

Why then did you feel the need to bypass my post [linked above] in which I admit to people having more, or less, sensitive eyesight than me and continue to post the bleeding obvious like your some kind of school teacher? It would have saved you a lot of time should you had not been so pedantic

In case you don't know what Pedantic means,

" Excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous: "

And that's not an accusation towards you, but an observation.

If you had explained your self correctly the first time, we wouldn't be here now!

Cheers
edit on 23-4-2014 by Spiro because: someone pinched my dictionary

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Ummm... it's 75kb, not 750kb...

Try again...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

tl;dr

not worth reading a self-congratulatory post. Pedantry at its best.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

tl;dr

not worth reading a self-congratulatory post. Pedantry at its best.

Ha ha haaaaa

You obviously read it to reply though lol

You take care now, ya hear?

Cheers
edit on 23-4-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: facelift

I'm just studying hard! It's finals this week and next. lol

FlyersFan- Yes, that grin is trippy!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

, I like the avatars pictures, how does one get or make an avatar picture. I have only belonged to ats for a month and have only just noticed the pictures

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
a reply to: kkrattiger

, I like the avatars pictures, how does one get or make an avatar picture. I have only belonged to ats for a month and have only just noticed the pictures

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Is that your answer to put ats website address. I am already a member but would like a fancy pants picture too, I just can't work out how o make one I ave looked all over the site. ;-(
Ok I think I found maybe how to make an avatar picture but will I be able to find it again and I will have to write it all down before following instructions.

edit on 26-4-2014 by Cloudbuster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Is that your answer to put ats website address. I am already a member but would like a fancy pants picture too, I just can't work out how o make one I ave looked all over the site. ;-(
Ok I think I found maybe how to make an avatar picture but will I be able to find it again and I will have to write it all down before following instructions.

Yes that's my answer. You are asking for help and/or guidance for your own avatar. By reading the content of that thread I linked you will not only find answers but help and guidance too

Why did you not click the link?

Cheers
edit on 26-4-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Come on. Don't be afraid. Click It.

Or, if you feel better, clicking my signature will take you there. And we are quite good at our craft.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
There really isn't any I hate thus far. I dislike overly cutesy avatars, though. Avatars are supposed to be a representation of the poster, and if the avatar looks like it belongs in a nursery or kindergarten class, it makes me wonder just how emotionally mature said poster really is. It may not be accurate for a variety of reasons, but it's perfectly human to try to define someone. That said, my current one isn't a reflection of me so much as a reflection of a particular style I like. Steampunk is a favorite of mine, it's a very unique look. Some images I favor more than others based purely on aesthetic appeal (I like my current one because she reminds me of a bad ass Marg Helgenberger ready to take on the world)

Some posters said they don't like the eyeball with the bug crawling out of the lower lid. Yeah, it makes me shiver in disgust also, but I also kind of like it for that exact reason, lol. Another one I saw on here, I saved. It simultaneously gave me the creeps and made me laugh. Anyone remember the poster who used the early 20th century pig who wiggled his tongue around and did the shoulder-hunch giggle? I think it was from an olllllld silent film. Creepy, but amusing.
An avatar win either keeps drawing you back despite repulsing you, makes you laugh, or is pleasing to look at, IMO. BFFT's gorillas are well done & I love seeing them, for example. Slayer69's avatars are very pleasing to the eye as well.

And if you happen to have an astronomy avatar, even better. Beyond our atmosphere is natural beauty of epic proportions. You can never go wrong with astronomy avatars.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
There really isn't any I hate thus far. I dislike overly cutesy avatars, though. Avatars are supposed to be a representation of the poster, and if the avatar looks like it belongs in a nursery or kindergarten class, it makes me wonder just how emotionally mature said poster really is. It may not be accurate for a variety of reasons, but it's perfectly human to try to define someone. That said, my current one isn't a reflection of me so much as a reflection of a particular style I like.

Judging a book by its cover is emotionally mature?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
a reply to: Aleister
That is true..We are Avatarily spoiled here on ATS.
We get big ones.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join