It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Free -1 month and counting!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Congratulations & high fives. I've got 2 years behind me after smoking most of my life and it was one of the most liberating things I've ever done. Truly an addiction.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FortAnthem
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Yep, its mesothelioma of the abdomen. Tried chemo and surgery with no success. I'm going to a doc in another week to look into a trial in a drug that might turn my natural defenses against this stuff. As of now, there's no cure for it so I'm hoping the experimental drug will do the trick.

I got exposed to asbestos, probably some time in my childhood and that's what caused it. I entered the workforce long after they stopped using it. The stuff is in literally EVERYTHING if it was built before 1980. No amount of healthy living can overcome that.

I'm still keeping my hopes up, I have to for my wife and kids. Still, I think I'd rather face this than try to overcome an addiction.

Good job on kicking the habit.

My pathetic smoking habit is NOTHING in comparison to what you are going through.

I am absolutely floored by how calm and clinical you seem to be dealing with your health issues.

You are a true fighter...tougher than nails I imagine.

I am in awe of you sir!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There are pains, like a first degree burn, that I will feel only a few minutes after the fact... A 2nd degree burn will be really painful for about 2-3 minutes, then it becomes a mild itching. I don't feel pinching that much even If I pinch myself until I get a bruise, and not more than a fraction of a second when I hit myself, like a toe on something hard.

But I'll feel caresses or soft touches like I did before. Cold is intense, but heat doesn't bother me as much as before.

The only place I hurt very badly at times, if I'm not careful, is my head. Then I need strong medications to put it down a bit, but the rest of the body is practically pain free.

It changed me a lot, and made me also a non-smoker. It's like I never touched it. So all is not bad.

Before that, like previous posters, I managed to quit smoking for a year and touched it again for no good reasons, and became instantly addicted, again.
Now I know I will never touch it again. I do not even entertain or fantasize about the idea of smoking. It did like Elvis and left the building... lol

If you feel that way now, I think there are great chances you won't be touching it again.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jujumon9959
Congratulations & high fives. I've got 2 years behind me after smoking most of my life and it was one of the most liberating things I've ever done. Truly an addiction.

I've heard that quitting cigarettes is just as hard as quitting heroin,,. I've never tried heroin so, I can't really compare the two.

What I do know...like you said...it truly is an addiction.

Cigarettes are an absolute ADDICTION!

Having not smoked for a month It really is liberating...I do not like being chained to a damn cancer stick. Not one bit!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Keep it going! From someone who knows, you may not crave cigs anymore. At least not as much. Stick with it.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Congratulations!!!!

I feel your pain but I also feel your extreme pride in such an achievement. Way to go!! Seriously. A lot of folks don't understand how hard it is to give up cigarettes. Next month will mark the 1 year anniversary for me and like you... It does feel like a major achievement to me. If someone hasn't been addicted to cigarettes then they have absolutely no clue about how hard it is to put them down.

I wish you continued success and the strength you will need to get through it. I still crave a cigarette a few times a day but then I tell myself that it has been almost a year and all of that time will have been wasted if I just take one tiny drag. I will never be able to just take a puff. Never. I think most of us that have failed time and again find that to be one of the hardest lessons to learn.

You should be very proud of yourself. Keep on keeping on and before you know it, you will have more months then years under your belt.

edit on 4/22/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Glad to hear it. How did you quit? I've been smoking for 15 years and have tried multiple times to quit and never succeeded. Let me know. Advice would be great. Cheers on quitting and keep it up.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Just posting to add my congratulations for what is a major life achievement. I smoked my last cigarette almost 8 years ago, but I still remember what it was like in the beginning. Good for you for getting this far!
I like what you said about knowing you're done with smoking. I felt the same way, & believe that conviction has a lot to do with not going back to it.
Keep up the good work!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I'm very proud of you.
It will take about a year to get your new lungs. You will continue to cough up some pretty gross stuff for the next 5-7 months.
People who have never quit cigs before have no idea what an accomplishment this truly is. And the extreme will power needed to quit.
I smoked Camel Lights from the age of 18-23. Went from 1/2 pack a day in my first year to 1 pack a day. I haven't smoked cigs in around 8 years. Never ever will again!
It's like having your brain invaded by mind control tentacles. I personally think it's all the other additives that are even worse/ more addictive than the nicotine.

Congratulations!!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: GroidNificent
Glad to hear it. How did you quit? I've been smoking for 15 years and have tried multiple times to quit and never succeeded. Let me know. Advice would be great. Cheers on quitting and keep it up.

It's different for everyone from what I understand. I know me and I knew with 100% certainty that going cold turkey just wouldn't work for me.

So, I gradually weaned myself down slowly about 2 weeks before I was supposed to see my doctor. I'm not happy about having to use medication since it's ultimately an anti-depressant but, he prescribed wellbutrin.

After another month on the medicine though, I will be gradually weaning myself off that so, it's not as if I will have to take the medicine forever. I avoid prescription meds as much as possible and up until this point I haven't been on anything.

So, after taking the medicine for about a week I went from 20 a day, to 11 the next, then 6 and the next day I just quit.

The medicine makes the cigarettes taste GOD awful to the point that there really is no point in smoking.

This method worked like a charm for me.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzCory

Just posting to add my congratulations for what is a major life achievement. I smoked my last cigarette almost 8 years ago, but I still remember what it was like in the beginning. Good for you for getting this far!
I like what you said about knowing you're done with smoking. I felt the same way, & believe that conviction has a lot to do with not going back to it.
Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much! I really do feel confident that I'm done with cigarettes for good.

I'm not sure if this happens where you live but, here on the east coast the t.v. airs these commercials about smoking dangers. It show's a woman who lost limbs and a man that has a huge scar down his chest....all kinds of scary things.

My 6 year old started getting really freaked out and asking me if that was going to happen to me....if I was going to die from smoking.

Yep, I'm done! I don't want my little boy scared that he's going to lose his mom to smoking.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I tried pretty much everything available at the time to quit. The patch, nic Gum, Reducing the amount I smoked(unsuccessfully.) I even tried hand rolling natural or more natural tobacco like Drum. The only thing that worked for me after trying all these quit aids over and over and over, was to quit cold turkey. The first two weeks were the hardest for me, after that it got a lot easier. Every day got a little easier.
Then I ended up gaining about 50lbs within the next year and a half after quitting. I guess this is a really normal after-effect. All I wanted to do was eat! It took me about 2 years to get the weight off. But even gaining 20lbs or 50lbs, your body and mind feel a million times better. Hindsight, I could have avoided or curbed this eating/weight gain phase with a strict exercise regiment.
Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You're through the hardest part of it all. Stay away from alcohol or coffee if they make you want to light up or Friends/acquaintances that smoke. I found a lot of them think it's funny to offer you a smoke or test your meddle. If they do, they're not your friends. Quit them like you quit cigarettes.
My two cents.
edit on 22-4-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyFlatulence
I tried pretty much everything available at the time to quit. The patch, nic Gum, Reducing the amount I smoked(unsuccessfully.) I even tried hand rolling natural or more natural tobacco like Drum. The only thing that worked for me after trying all these quit aids over and over and over, was to quit cold turkey. The first two weeks were the hardest for me, after that it got a lot easier. Every day got a little easier.
Then I ended up gaining about 50lbs within the next year and a half after quitting. I guess this is a really normal after-effect. All I wanted to do was eat! It took me about 2 years to get the weight off. But even gaining 20lbs or 50lbs, your body and mind feel a million times better. Hindsight, I could have avoided or curbed this eating/weight gain phase with a strict exercise regiment.
Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You're through the hardest part of it all. Stay away from alcohol or coffee if they make you want to light up or Friends/acquaintances that smoke. I found a lot of them think it's funny to offer you a smoke or test your meddle. If they do, they're not your friends. Quit them like you quit cigarettes.
My two cents.

Man, you are awesome to be able to quit cold turkey! I just know how I am and it just wouldn't work for me at all.

I've been lucky on the weight gain...so far. I've probably put on an extra couple or two but, nothing too drastic. Once the warm weather kicks in, I always eat a lot less so, hopefully they will shed pretty easily.

Also, I do work out pretty regularly and have done so long before I quit so, that has got to be helping. Plus...I drink tons and tons of water.

I do have cravings when I drink coffee in the morning but, it's not that bad anymore. Alcohol, it really doesn't bother me that much. I've always been able to drink and not smoke. Weird I know???? Many people I know only smoke when they drink.

It's funny that you mention friends tempting you...I haven't had that yet but, I do know that one is just completely faking it when she says "good job" She's totally jealous! lol

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Congratulations!!!

I used to smoke back in my 20s and it was so difficult to quit! I stopped everytime I got pregnant (3 times) and then started again once the babies were not breastfed anymore. When I was 35 I decided to go cold turkey and stopped.....it was horrendous, especially the first couple of weeks, but I never gave in and now it's been 9 years and 10 days...a date I won't forget.

You'll see that soon you'll rediscover wonderful senses: smells, taste......you may actually start disliking the smell of cigarettes or how people smell after having a ciggie.

Well done, you've just started a great new chapter in your life!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Congrats to you

Been about 3 months . Used Vaping to quit smoking . The hardest part was that first cup of coffee and that after dinner smoke . I not sure if it was more craving or habit...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Thank you so much.

I too quit during pregnancy and didn't have any trouble doing it then....it's a no brainer when you have a little person growing in your belly. But, when you don't....there's just not much of an incentive that means enough to quit. Obviously health but, I really, really liked smoking and for years it just wasn't enough to make me quit.

Man, has my sense of smell intensified! It's crazy. My husband is quitting too but, having a little more trouble than me. He smokes 1 or 2 during his commute and I can smell it on him when he gets home. I hate that smell but, like the smell of the actual smoke...it's weird.

At my son's baseball game the other day, there was another parent smoking....I intentionally went downwind just so I can smell the smoke.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MajorAce
Good for you!

The morning cup of joe was really hard at first but, is getting a lot easier.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: BuzzCory

Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much! I really do feel confident that I'm done with cigarettes for good.

I'm not sure if this happens where you live but, here on the east coast the t.v. airs these commercials about smoking dangers. It show's a woman who lost limbs and a man that has a huge scar down his chest....all kinds of scary things.

My 6 year old started getting really freaked out and asking me if that was going to happen to me....if I was going to die from smoking.

Yep, I'm done! I don't want my little boy scared that he's going to lose his mom to smoking.

Not sure about the commercials (I use alternate tv sources here), but we have similar billboard ads for quitting here in California. I was probably heading in the same direction as the woman who lost limbs. After 42 years of smoking 1-2 packs per day, the circulation to my lower legs was starting to go bad. I had swelling in the ankles, burning & tingling in my feet, & started to get those freckle-like marks on my legs that you see on some older people.

I tried quitting cold turkey & was unable to do it for long (I'll spare you the horror stories, but my hat's definitely off to you for being able to make that work!). What I found out, though, was that within a few days of stopping, the symptoms in my ankles & feet went away, coming right back as soon as I resumed the habit.
That was my main motivator to quit: I finally had a negative health symptom that I proved was directly related to smoking. I knew that if I continued to smoke, I would be proving to myself that I was a complete idiot (I'm using the polite phrasing here; I put it a bit more crudely in the privacy inside my head).

My way out was to use the patch, which made withdrawing from nicotine a lot less nasty for me. I was lucky; the circulation to my lower legs has been good since quitting, & those damn freckly marks have even lightened & almost gone away. What's left of them is my badge of merit, I suppose.

You have the best kind of motivator there in your son: you can carry on knowing you're being a good Mom, & that you haven't decided to quit only after having found something nasty happening to you as a result of the habit.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Magestic, I saw this and thought of you:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Magestic, I saw this and thought of you:

Agartha....you must be a psychic because I needed to see your post this evening. I really needed something to remind me that smoking is not what I needed to make my day/week better.

It's been a rough go this week and your post just kept me from digging through all of my drawers in my house and all of the compartments in my car looking for a cigarette.

I came back to this thread in hopes that it would help my cravings subside...and YOU did it!

Thank you so very much!

I owe you big time my friend.

edit on 25-4-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join