It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police face overwhelming gun crime as 45 people shot over weekend

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: wills120
Actually, you've got it backwards. Should the Second fall, all the others will as well. THIS is why they want gun control so badly.

The 2nd amendment will not be needed until the government tries to remove it.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

people with guns are the problem...

From what I've heard having meaningful regulations on gun ownership results in less gun-deaths.

mostly because it means less people have access to guns when they're angry/drunk/etc. (not saying they would be all the time; people get upset at times, and act irationally)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Well it has been an unusually cold winter season. Now that the temperature is warming, it is back to normal as far as crime.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
What those of you living outside of the Chicago area don't seem to understand is the violence is almost entirely thug versus thug. Concealed carry is not going to lower Chicago's gun crime because the victims can't pass background checks since they are criminals themselves!

As long as the violence stays on the south side nobody here cares about it. Those neighborhoods make the decision to be the way they are. And there is nothing on the south side except for ghettos. No businesses anyone would want to travel to. No tourist attractions. Just ghettos. So if you aren't from the neighborhood, you don't belong in the neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: emjay8

Well, I am not sure about that. Unless all those kids shot are also already gangbangers? Doesn't always seem to be thug on thug to me.
edit on Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:32:08 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
a reply to: onequestion

people with guns are the problem...

From what I've heard having meaningful regulations on gun ownership results in less gun-deaths.

mostly because it means less people have access to guns when they're angry/drunk/etc. (not saying they would be all the time; people get upset at times, and act irationally)

You've heard wrong. Restrictions on guns have declined and with it crime. For the most part, legal gun owners are responsible - and there it is: the thugs and idiots who aren't legal are the ones blowing each other away.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

You probably haven't heard about the Chicago rapper called Lil Mouse. He's a 13 year old gangsta rapper and raps about shooting people and doing drugs and what not.

It's a completely different kind of life in places like that. As one poster here on ATS said a while back, those are places where being a robber is a legitimate career option.

Gang's Recruiting Elementary School Kids

There's a link to an article about gangs in Oregon recruiting kids younger than eight into their gangs.

It's a completely different culture.

I said all that to sum up the point that Chicago doesn't have a gun problem they have a gang problem. If you eliminate the gangs or at least drastically reduce their numbers, the crime rate will plummet along with gun crime.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Chicago doesn't have a gang problem, or a drug problem, they have an EDUCATION problem.

From the 17 year single mother, to the the 23 yr old male who's been out on parole off a dope or gun case for 2 weeks and impregnates aforementioned 17 yr old prior to to going back to prison for another 5-10 yr bid because he's a repeat offender.

Comes down to education. I will guarantee that 99% of the 14-17 yr olds committing crimes in Chicago have mothers in their early 30s. Mentally they are little girls who had kids before they ever graduated 10th grade let alone had a job, or even filled out an application to get one.

Same goes for the fathers. 16-21, kid on the way, no prospects for a job because he dropped out in 9th grade and already has a conviction for possession. Coincidentally these two things go hand in hand. Dropping out and jail are occupants of the same household.

The other problem is culture, which is a direct affect of lack of education and no prospects to "ball legally". Which is what it all comes down to if you haven't lived in the "Hood" than you don't know what it's like.

Peer acceptance, respect and envy are what the "Hood" revolves around. Take it from someone who lived through the highest murder rate in US history for people my age/color.

I've danced with the devil in the pale moon light waiting at a bus stop wondering, watching the blue Monte Carlo or tan Caprice full of beanie caps that just rolled past, for the FOURTH TIME, waiting for them to stop and have someone lean out both passenger windows and ask where I'm from, what hood I'm banging. Imagine this on your way to school? Trying to get an education that could get you out of there?

Why are they so preoccupied with procreating and making $ instead of finishing high school, going to college and getting a degree, then having children and starting a family? The formula 99% of all affluent family's in America have done? In one word, culture. Culture is a direct reflection of education. Music and art play a bigger part than most realize.

I have insight beyond comprehension for those who want to understand the Devil's dance.
edit on 23-4-2014 by Astroart because: Addedum

edit on 23-4-2014 by Astroart because: Correction.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Until we look at the root of the problem and solve that, we cannot move forward with gun violence. What is causing the crimes? Why are young men driven to the point of violence and crime? The lack of substantial employment, a glorification of rap and drug culture and an increasingly violent saturation of media, the crimes will not stop.

We are a country built on war, prison, lack of education, and debt slavery. Until we start making a change, and standing up for our rights as human beings, then none of this will change as we spiral further and further into our inevitable societal collapse.

a reply to: Xcathdra

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
This is not about gun control, its about the mindset of the people in gangs, if the did not have guns they would use knives or cars to kill other people. The kill will go on with or with out guns

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
When the regular people are rendered powerless, the outlaws move in and take over. Simple as that. Gangs have been holding people hostage for a very long time in these areas, it won't go away overnight, and it won't go away without a fight. Most good people have been powerless and terrorized for so long, they don't know how to be anything else. All they know to do is keep their heads down, their doors locked, and hope they stay under the radar. Not a pretty way to live.

yeah, where is the BLM when you need them?

i'd roll in there like the chinese in 89', beijing.

the brits in northern ireland.

clean the place out. you want a gun grab libs? start there.

marshall law? sure. arrest the mayor and gov too.

all of them.

but i'm not obama.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: emjay8

Well, I am not sure about that. Unless all those kids shot are also already gangbangers? Doesn't always seem to be thug on thug to me.

They don't have to be 'gangbangers' to be in a gang. You see, the gangs in Chicago are totally different than they used to be...there is really no 'joining' a gang, with it's hierarchy, initiation rites, etc. When the CPD busted up all the big gangs like the Latin Kings and the Vice Lords years ago, it actually made the situation worse, as now there are HUNDREDS of little gangs that sprang up in the vacuum left by the big name gangs.

The thing is, you are now automatically in a gang based on where you live. For example, if you live off of 63rd between Ashland and Racine, then you are in the '63rd's gang'. (IThese are made up names to make a point). But if you live on 59th between Damen & Ashland, then you are in the 'Ashland Crue'. And they hate each other, and will kill each other on site if they see one of them on their turf. So even if you're a good kid who wants nothing to do with the gangs, if you happen to live on the wrong block then you risk your life by simply walking to the convenience store down the street because it happens to be in a competing gang's turf.

It's a big problem when kids walk to and from school, as they inevitably have to walk through competing gang territory just to get to school. They actually have signs on the streets outlining 'safe passage zones' with cops stationed along the routes to school, otherwise the kids from one block will be shooting up the kids from the other block just walking to school.

It's really, truely, seriously messed up down there, more than most folks realize.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Thank you for your post, very enlightening.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It continues. Not on the weekend. On and on and on:

A 14-year-old boy is the youngest of at least 8 people shot across the city Tuesday afternoon.

Police said the shooting, which stems from an ongoing gang conflict in the Marquette Park neighborhood, happened about 6:40 p.m.

Man shot to death in Grand Crossing neighborhood
By Rosemary Regina Sobol , Tribune reporter
Story | Apr 23, 2014 | 6:50 AM

A man in his 20s was found shot to death this morning in the Grand Crossing neighborhood on the South Side, authorities said. At 6:15 a.m., officers responded to a building in the 7800 block of South Ingleside Avenue and found the man lying in a...

www.chicagotribune.com...

CHICAGO - Chicago rapper Chief Keef, real name Keith Cozart, is being hospitalized in critical condition, nearly being killed after being shot several times in Chicago’s south side.

Chief Keef has been reportedly shot over 3 times in the leg, shoulder, and rib. The shots weren’t fatal and he is now being hospitalized in a south side hospital. Chicago is known for it’s gun violence and murders, which has earned it nicknames such as “Murder capital” and “Chiraq”. Chief Keef is also known to be affiliated with gangs even before he became famous for his music.

“That’s what he gets for always saying “bang bang”, says Englewood resident Audrey Hamilton, “he finally got a piece of his own pie”. Just a week ago, Chief Keef’s cousin And fellow rapper “Big Glo” was shot and killed in Chicago. Investigators are assuming that Keef and his close friends and family are being targeted. The shooter who shot Keef is still on the run and is believed to be a resident of Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood.

huzlers.com...

Rumors of requests for Feds to come in to assist?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Like I always say, those that are criminals and don't give a crap about the law will always get their weapons regardless of how much gun control to restrict law abiding citizens away from owning guns is passed, because after all legislation is always for the law abiding citizens, criminals just give a finger.

Also seems that when it comes to high crimes areas, police, legislation and protection is none existence, they are criminals free zone.

How about legislation to clean high crime areas from criminals and gangs, you will never see that happening, because illegal drug money is just like corporate money, it goes around and around.

I guess the biggest waste of tax payer dollars is the myth of the "war on drugs", actually they are thriving now more than ever.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Out in the burbs of Chicago this is unheard of. We are well armed, and we spend more time stuck to our computers and gadgets than we do outside--hate to say it but truth based.

Oftentimes in the city though you get groups of kids just walking around shooting the #. When you combine that aimlessness with certain light-colored sedans more interested in the affiliations of pre-teens with their respective gangs, all of which have recently fallen subject to the "dime-bags to riches" mentality--you get a diluted mess of individuals who see no problem with opening fire on a group of children who need to learn some 'spect.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Wow Chicago, I never thought you'd outdo Detroit in Senseless, Mindless killings......... I stand Corrected.

You must be so proud of that achievement.

Good luck trying to fix stupid.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SalientSkivvy
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

ummmm Wow, that was just a little bit racist...
Because you know, white people always raise their kids to be just perfect..

Here we go... Calling facts racist.. Until people wake up to the truth it will never change.
Firepiston

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Still though. It's almost always thugs doing the shooting, isn't always thugs that get hit. Thugs aren't known for being the best shots, or considering solid backdrops to shoot at, etc etc.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The problem is gang/thug culture is thriving in the US and is only increasing the number of crimes committed. The US has a deep cultural issue that embraces crime and violence in our country. Gun control is only a very small factor, responsible parents and better education would be the best remedy

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join