It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crafting my besom from a palm tree flower head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ive been wishing for a besom for so long and thanks to the Green Man (God of Flora) and the lovely huge Palm Tree that lives just on the other side of our fence in our neighbors yard, my wish has now been granted.

The palm tree dropped this beautiful huge flower head on our side of the fence, a little imagination and i soon knew what to do with it.

I trimmed off all of the twigs and bundled them into neat faggots which helped straighten them out a little.

I then went about sanding the main branch, i wanted to do more work on the end as i want it looking more like the handle of some of the old axes that ive seen, but i didn't want to practice on this one but i can always reshape it after.

I really wanted to keep it as raw as possible, but being Palm Tree it was necessary to give it a light lacquer to stop the fibers from peeling off.

The Besom was then rubbed down (anointed) with amber and some selected herbs.

Im really happy with the handle its natural spiral of knots is fascinating.

Im just so very proud of it and wanted to share my joy with all of you,
and hopefully we can inspire each other with our creativity.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Whateva69

Holy crap, I'm a bit jealous. That looks beautiful! Out of a palm tree! You asked for it and the Green Man provided but it was you who saw it for what it was.

As far as unorthodox besoms, I made mine from Indian grass and bamboo... doesn't look nearly as pretty as yours but it feels right.

In any case, job well done and I know it will be a great besom to work with.

Blessed be and all that.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I think yours must be beautiful as well, im sure if you look close enough you'll see more to a stick than most would, the way the grain shifts, the feel of the softness or hardness. lol i suppose im kind of weird, i can look at a wooden peg and see its beauty lol.

in the past ive tried asking for money to buy what i want but on all of my attempts they have backfired, so i fond it better to ask for resources instead which is far more rewarding as you can see.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Lovely just beautiful. Can you sweep with it? You need to be able to sweep evil out of your circle with your bessom.
I get a new bessom every year at New year's. I use an ordinary straw broom then I decorate it with ribbons a dried flowers. The old one becomes my household broom. No waste. Lol

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Yes i can sweep with it, if you've seen how strong palm wood is this besom should last many life times, all it may need is the bristles refreshed now and again.

All i intend to do now is name it and maybe some pyrography o its handle.

Love and harmony
Whateva

edit on 21/4/14 by Whateva69 because: life not left

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Very very nice! So utterly creative too. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your method. I'm sure this will inspire us all to look more closely at what mother nature is offering. Bi S&F.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

That was supposed to read big, not bi.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wow! Awesome job!!!!!!!!! It came out beautiful! Love all the jars you have in the background with herbs.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you, I do love my herbs and spices, my husband thinks i out do Colonel Sanders

although i do use them in cooking, i mainly have them for teas, brews, baths and what not.

the pentagram in the center of this circle is made using sage sticks, i have a bowl full and work with them in a doodle kind of way as you would a pen on paper, it helps me center and reflect/contemplate.

This particular circle is drawn together using salts and herbs. it can take me up to a week to prepare a circle like this one.

ive had a friend join me in a circle, she felt so good and comfortable in it. it took a while for me to notice she was actually picking some of it up and nibbling on it, she wasn't even aware she was doing it lol oh it was the funniest thing we couldn't stop laughing. it was a good circle.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

i know its fantastic isn't it

I knew i was getting a besom, i didn't know when or how and i definitely didn't expect one so awesome as this.
its like the best present ever.

And your right mother nature has everything for us, we just need to teach ourselves to see it.

Love and harmony
Whateva

top topics

join