It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone tell me what wrong with my car please??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

I'm going to upload a video of the car and me so you can hear the noises ect

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BloodSister
That would be helpful as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just to add, If a clutch fails, be it the cable, throwout etc. it fails in an "engaged" position, so she wouldn't be able to select a gear.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Check to see if the speedometer still reads with the car in gear and your foot off the clutch. If it does, then its your CV joint. Your speedometer wont read much though.

Most likely drivers side CV joint (axle)
edit on 21-4-2014 by Yahm16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yahm16
Check to see if the speedometer still reads with the car in gear and your foot off the clutch. If it does, then its your CV joint. Your speedometer wont read much though.

Most likely drivers side CV joint (axle)

Do what this poster said if the c clip popped or something else along those lines the axle can be the culprit.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
give me all info on car and i'll let you know whats wrong

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
People have been saying clutch cable - it might be a hydraulic clutch, but either way it would be difficult to get it in gear if that were the case, and the OP stated that it does not move in first either. This eliminates the clutch cable/hydraulic system.

The friction plate seems the next logical culprit, typically, but those give you LOTS of warning before they completely stop working, and usually there is a lot of smoking and smell to let you know that you've worn it out.

Pressure plate? This might be your answer - I think maybe you've had a catastrophic failure of this component.

Get out your wallet. And in the future, stop dumping your clutch. This is what happens

Add: A CV joint is another thing that warns you well in advance that you are ignoring a potential major repair job. Usually one side goes well before the other. You can still drive the car with one transaxle.

Hey, could be the tranny. (This is a $$$ repair. What's in YOUR wallet)
edit on 21-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The hydraulic clutch reservoir could be empty, and a leak somewhere. The throwout bearing could be shot. The clutch disks usually start to slip before so there is an indicator, but sometimes the face could come off of it and it does clunk when that happens. I don't know enough about your particular car, some have belts nowadays too, I think Audi does that. Good luck, talk to someone who is a mechanic locally about it. Some cars also have electronics that can screw up, but the symptoms are different than what you posted.

I never thought about the CV joint, I suppose that could also be an option. Someone did have a good idea which I would have never thought about.

edit on 21-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
a reply to: Spiro

She said she was able to select a gear and when releasing the clutch it made a "knocking" noise, so it sounds to me as though the power isn't getting to the wheels. Being a Civic, it's front wheel drive so still sounds like a CV joint to me.

There are two front wheels. One wheel would still engage. This is not it.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Most diffs work on the premise that power goes to the wheel that's spinning, unless it's limited slip. I'm not familiar with Civics, but I'd still go with the CV joint.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

Most diffs work on the premise that power goes to the wheel that's spinning, unless it's limited slip. I'm not familiar with Civics, but I'd still go with the CV joint.

Nope. The car would still move with the one good wheel, and the CV joint would either grind louder and harder, or the shaft would bang around in there if the CV joint broke completely. If there is a C-clip on the CV joint, both would have to fail, unless there is a single one in the tranny. That I do not know. I stay away from trannies

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I've twisted off a number of axles doing J's ( one side only) and the car comes to a complete stop. As I said, I don't know if Civics have '___''s, but if not, then all the power would go to the "broken" side.

Wow! Harsh censorship on this site, Abbreviate "Limited Slip Differential" and they cut you off at the knees....
edit on 21-4-2014 by Flatcoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Not good then... I had just brought this car last week.... Bit gutted.. I'm uploading a video of what happens... It's taking a while to upload to youtube as my internet is #! Lol

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: robbon2004

This is an update on the car...

It now makes a knocking sound drivers side which sounds like it's low down when in neutral, selecting 1st gear sounds better but has another noise coming from it. The car does not drive in 1st or go in to reverse. When I first started my car, I was in 1st without realising which obviously then I stalled, but as I stalled it sounded like I hit something but didn't and then that's when it all went wrong. My car doesn't jolt forward and it doesn't a stall in first 1st gear when stationary and my foot off the clutch.

Thank you

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BloodSister
a reply to: robbon2004

This is an update on the car...

It now makes a knocking sound drivers side which sounds like it's low down when in neutral, selecting 1st gear sounds better but has another noise coming from it. The car does not drive in 1st or go in to reverse. When I first started my car, I was in 1st without realising which obviously then I stalled, but as I stalled it sounded like I hit something but didn't and then that's when it all went wrong. My car doesn't jolt forward and it doesn't a stall in first 1st gear when stationary and my foot off the clutch.

Thank you

Its the throwout Bearing

My advice, and best advice indeed is to get it seen to by a hands on mechanic. It's the only answer, the best answer

Cheers and good luck

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
when you rev the engine with it in gear does your speedometer move at all?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Here's a video of what happens...

youtu.be...
edit
on 21-4-2014 by BloodSister because: ....

edit on 21-4-2014 by BloodSister because: ...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

youtu.be...

I don't think the other one worked, this link will

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

If the half shaft gets wedged when you break a CV joint, you sure can come to a screeching halt.

I'm contributing to this thread out of personal experience with all of this stuff. I've had CV joints go bad, break while going down the road, clutch problems, done all of those repairs myself. The joys of being a broke college student.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

As Yahm16 mentioned, you see how the speedo moves when you rev it? This tells you that the gearbox is working, so it's not the clutch. The problem is between the transmission and the wheels. I'm still going with CV joint or axle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join