It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Terrifying Ghost Experience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I used to be completely against the existence of ghosts. That changed about 3 weeks ago.

I'm 28 years old. When I was growing up, my mother's aunt stayed with us for a few years, became ill, and died in our house. Thankfully I wasn't home at the time. I remember skating back home later in the afternoon after playing hockey all day, only to see an ambulance parked in front of my house.

I sprinted home, and the ambulance drove away. My mother greeted me in the driveway, heartbroken, and told me her aunt had passed away.

Sometimes my father would joke (years later, avoiding any type of "too soon") that he would walk through what felt like a refrigerator inside our house at random points. I chalked it up to him trying to scare us kids, that's his type of humor. I never experienced it, nor did my brother or sister.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago. I was spending the night at my parent's house, and I was about to go to sleep. My cat I brought home from college, who stays with my parents, jumped into bed with me like he always did when I was still living at home.

In my room, there is a walk-in closet, with 2 sliding doors. My bed is in the center of the room, and the closet is behind me when laying in bed. All was well, my cat was laying on my chest falling asleep as I scratched his head, when he suddenly snapped his head up, looked past me at the closet, literally ran up my chest with his claws out, and launched himself into it. He's NEVER been one to be jumpy like that, and he immediately darted out of the room.

It freaked me out. I'm literally getting chills writing this. That wasn't the worst part. Maybe an hour later, once I calmed down a bit, I attempted to fall asleep again. As I was drifting asleep, I felt the unmistakable feeling of my bed depressing, as if someone sat on my bed next to me. I thought my heart was going to explode. I left my parents house. It's a bit embarrassing to say now, but at the time I felt pretty confident in my decision to leave lol.

I told my father about what happened, he didn't look surprised at all. Little did I know he wasn't joking about the cold spots.

Has anyone here had an experience remotely similar? The feeling that something sat next to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether they're your experiences or theories on what happened in my room.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: oldetimehockey4

/snooty butler voice

hello, yes well, some of us could bore your ears off with stories, good sir
the master of the house isn't here right now but we're certainly not alone

at the end of the day, when everything gets half forgotten, hazy & speculative
i'm always left wondering about the morality of intent..
what was the end result of the encounter?
how did it make me feel?
if i was the other thing and i probably knew that the experience would unsettle me, would i still do it?
...does it have a purpose?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

Intent. That's interesting to think about, from the ghost's perspective. In my case, I was raised Roman Catholic, but never truly believed anything they hammered into our young minds. Even at a young age I thought it was a farce, a made-up story by the elite of the time to give the impoverished something to hope for. My parents were well aware of my lack of belief, and at times I was pretty vocal about it, especially when it came to the weekly forced Sunday mass. They weren't the strict Catholic type, they just thought it was good for us.

My point is, maybe my mothers aunt was trying to tell me something. That's the only logical thing I can think of. My disbelief in God was at an all-time high when this occurred.

I still don't believe in organized religion, but I do now believe in ghosts, so I guess I do now believe in God.

edit on 20-4-2014 by oldetimehockey4 because: Clarity

edit on 20-4-2014 by oldetimehockey4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Evidently it isn't an evil spirit if it's been around since you were a kid and no one has been harmed. Probably just the old Aunt still hanging around.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I have clearly felt what I thought was a cat jump on the foot of my bed and trot up beside me. When I reached to pet it there was nothing there. I turned on a light and the room was empty. The door was closed.
There was also an incident involving a friend of my dad in the same house. He was a sheriff's and was staying with us after losing his house in an ugly divorce. He was staying in a room that was formerly occupied by a widowed friend of my grandmother. She had passed away many years earlier. I was in the living room eating breakfast when he came walking in with a shocked expression on his face. He knew nothing of the history of the house, and the first thing he said was, "This might sound crazy, but are there ghosts in this house?" He said he had woke up when an old woman came and sat on the foot of his bed and lit a cigarette. When he asked what was going on, she got up and walked out of the room. He then got up to find out who it was and there was no one there. I went in the room with him and there was still the smell of cigarette smoke.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

My point is, maybe my mothers aunt was trying to tell me something. That's the only logical thing I can think of. My disbelief in God was at an all-time high when this occurred.

I still don't believe in organized religion, but I do now believe in ghosts, so I guess I do now believe in God.

Sometimes the encounters purpose is to show us just that.

Have you tried thanking her for the revelation?

Go over there, walk upstairs and say, "Thanks auntie, anything else I need to know, let me know".

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Hi skunkape, welcome to ATS! Thanks for sharing that. Your story sounds like a place I used to live. There was this old woman that shuffled around the kitchen and woke people up at night. I was told by a neighbor an old woman died there.

She would either shuffle around in the kitchen scaring the crap out of roommates or even wake them up and tell them to get out. I never saw her but did hear the shuffling foot steps in the kitchen the last day I was there.

Freaky deeky.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

seeing that God part at the end was more than i could've (or ever should've) hoped for
were i a talent scout, i'd call that the best display of mental gymnastics i'd seen in a long time

as we go back out into our interesting little world here
we're going to encounter all sorts of things that'll do their best to make us forget that God part
and seem like they're doing us a favor along the way..

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I've also heard her (Faye was her name) distinctive shuffling footsteps (clomp, slide...clomp, slide) accompanied by the weird two note tune that she was always humming (higher note on the "clomp step", lower note on the slide). "HMMM, hmmm, HMMM, hmmm." The house is, by the way, directly across the street from a large cemetery. I have a lot more to tell on a wide range of paranormal experiences, but I'll wait until I have enough posts to start a thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The house is, by the way, directly across the street from a large cemetery.

What a view that must be with morning coffee.

The footsteps I heard sounded like slippers shuffling along. Swish, swish… swish, swish, swish. It was like someone was making breakfast or something. People were fooled thinking other roommates were home at the same time they knew they were alone in the house. One of my friends there got up one night with a shotgun he was so sure someone had broken in. He searched the whole house convinced some stranger was in the house.

I remember thinking at the time, it had to be some animal on the roof and dismissing it. Then the last day I was there I heard it too and all the complaints people made over the years came together all at once.

Looking back, no harm ever came to anyone over it. Some people up and moved suddenly for "no stated reason". Some even abandoned their stuff and or deposit. They just split.

One guy said he awoke to an old lady shaking him awake and saying you have to leave.

I tried to deny it over the eight years I was there, but at the end I got a demonstration, too.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There's no way I'd sleep with a closed closet or even my bedroom door at my back. I'm a big ol' chicken when it comes to that sort of stuff.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Yes, I've experienced too many things like this to count, and so have others. (Click on my signature to read all the ghost, and other paranormal stories your nerves can handle.)

I wonder why your aunt is still lingering? There must be a reason why she has not crossed over yet. She has a message, or some unfinished business she needs to deal with before she can leave.

I would suggest to your dad to have an authentic medium come in and communicate with her. Find out why she is still there. The medium can also help her cross over. She needs this so she can go on and continue her lessons/journey on the other side.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Lived in an apartment, and could tell when someone was walking, and where they were, or which direction they were heading. Had a really long hallway from the front to the back. A few times I would think I'd hear my gf walking into the living room from bedroom down at the other end, and no one would come. I went to check on her and she was sound asleep. Turns out the apartment on other side of our bathroom wall, at that end of the hallway, had a previous tenant take their own life in it. Funny thing was, I'd hear the footsteps only when I had beer, was smoking, or any form of nudity involving my girl, or the tv. This ghost wanted to just get stoned drunk and see some skin! lol

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The ghost depressing down the bed was probably trying to get your attention, and Not trying to hurt you, at least it sounds fairly non hostile. Maybe a bit impatient though, hard to say..
I was yanked out of bed and thrown against the wall when I was 16, but I laughed at it and asked if it could "please do that again, it was fun", but I was a bit disturbed at the time. I never heard or had anything happen again after that.

30 years forward from that there was a ghost haunting the place I worked at that would get up to a worker's ear and say some loud gibberish right in their ear..

It whispered to me once to draw me out of a room to get me thinking someone was calling me, then when I was out of the room, it whispered to me from the room I had left, and then I knew what it was and started laughing at it and told it how funny it was for trying to trick me back and forth looking for whoever it might be, when it was a ghost the whole time.

It can be very shocking to people who think all their life that it is impossible, then have it slammed into their stubborn noggin like being slapped up side the head. Don't be afraid of them at all, even if they are mean. You will surprise them in a big way. If you think it is a relative just be nice and tell it honest things and it will likely not scare you again.
edit on 21-4-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I can definitely relate to the freakiness of something unseen "sitting down" on the bed. 10 years ago I bought an old farm house built in the 1880's. judging by papers and records I found when renovating, the same family had lived here for about 100 years. At least since the turn of the century.

It started off small. Odd sounds, unexpected,aimed cold spots, the usual stereotypical things associated with a fairly benign haunting. I didn't think anything of it because it was really minor and I could easily rationalize it as an old house settling or creaking in the night. A friend of my wife's who claims to have some 6th sense type empathic abilities claimed that she felt a couple of spirits, one of which was a child. Again, I laughed it off mostly because I wasn't a big fan of this woman's and just didn't buy into it. After a few months I would notice things from the table on the side of the bed missing and then would turn back up a few days later but in a different spot or location in the room. I still shrugged it off in my stubbornness. When we started gutting a part of the house to prep for renovations is when things got interesting. This was an addition that was put on somewhere between the 1890's and 1913 and hadn't been used since probably the 1950's. from what I can ascertain from the records we came across, it looked like this part of the house was used for seem sort of business as we found propert records as well as a ledger for fiscal year 1913 detailing all expenses and profits for that year as wel as well as some old photos. One was of a naval physician and another of a young child.

A i said earlier, once we started work on the house things escalated. Nothing harmful, sinister or negative. It was more playful and curious, almost like whatever is here liked that we were fixing the place up and bringing a family into the home. What started off as odd creaks ad sounds and missing and reappearing knick knacks became voices, whispers, music and the smell of food cooking along with something new... Someone sitting on the bed and sometimes touching myself or my wife and the occasional shadowy figure moving across a doorway or room.

Once we finished the remodeling project, I moved my bedroom into a larger master bedroom that we had made out of the attic space above the addition. This new room shared a wall with the old room that had the activity. At this point we moved my then 4 year old son into what says my old bedroom so he could have more space as opposed to what was a very small nursery room. Once he was in his new room I started to believe the friend of my wife who claimed to have "felt" a child's spirit in the house. According to my son, who we never said anything at all to in regards to the activity my wife and I were aware of, very similar things continued to occur around him in there only it says a little MORE active. I cold hear sounds from my room, even on nights he wasn't staying here( he's my son from a relationship prior to my marriage and was only with me half the week). One night he came and woke me up at about 4 am to ask me if I would take the rocking chair out of his room because it says keeping him awake. This was a few years later and he was more Articulate in his descriptions. What used to be "the cat keeps jumping on the chair rocking it all night" became "Dad, I was dead asleep and woke up to someone laughing really loud and when I sat up in bed the chair was rocking and when I yelled at the cat the chair just stopped, someone laughed again and then my door opened slowly and then shut again as someone laughed again." Another time he woke up to toys out that were all put away when I put him to bed and his train set on and the train going round the track. The one that really freaked me out though was when he told me about waking up and the little girl was just standing next to his bed staring at him. He's 12 now and doesn't want to spend the night here anymore. He's more than willing to come over and hang out during the day but doesn't wa t to stay through the night. My 6 yr old daughter who now has the above mentioned room, waked up a couple of timesa month because of a bad dream about a girl but won't say more than tat and says she doesn't remember what the dream was about. Ive got a room in my basement as well that is about 20 degrees colder than the rest of the basement.

At this point the activity is less frequent, at least relating to myself and my wife, but still goes on. Right now the most common occurrence is when I go to bed I hear music, close enough that I can hear the scratches on the record as the phonograph plays it, old music though from the 30's or 40's. it's definitely depression era music. Aside from the music there are occasional shadowy figures, the odd freezing spots and the very rare hand on the bed. That's the only time I ever was really freaked out, pressure from an unseen entity pushing or sitting down on the bed next to me. But I was never actually scared. I've always felt it was just a playful, curious entity or entities. It definitely seems like its been isolated to particular rooms of the house because my step daughter who is now 14 has never seen or heard a single thing in the last 10 years.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I wouldn't make my kids sleep in a room where things like that are going on. I grew up in a situation like that, the only difference being that my dad didn't believe me when I said I heard or saw things. You know it's happening, you believe when they tell you stuff. I wouldn't make them sleep there.

Oh, and yes, I have had that happen where it feels like someone sits on the bed.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The one wa reply to: [post=17824545]wtbengine

My son, who saw the entities, isn't forced to come to my house at all let alone sleep in the room. My daughter, who's room it is currently isn't afraid and if she were or sightings picked back up again I wouldn't make her sleep there.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

Thank you, and it's definitely felt like mental gymnastics, constantly flip-flopping on whether ghosts and God exist over the past ten years.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

Lol yes my hindsight was 20/20 after that happened. No empty spaces behind my bed anymore, EVER.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

This experience profoundly changed my outlook on many things, however I'm still on the fence when it comes to mediums.

It's possible that there are authentic mediums, but I also think they're few and far between.

The TV mediums, such as Theresa Caputo and John Edwards, are largely responsible for my opinion, only because of the amount of general, common sense stuff they say. Caputo is good for telling a son who lost his mother: "she wants you to be happy." Well duh lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join