It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormons: History, Doctrine, and a scary conspiracy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
kudos on the attempt. Did you ask for your money back?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Ugh, that's a bummer. Well, maybe I can find some stuff about it somewhere else. I was also wondering whether those odd symbols were just on the Nauvoo temple or on other ones as well. We have a temple where I live, and I don't recall seeing any pentagrams or other odd stuff on it, and I'm pretty sure I would've noticed them if there were any.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I'm not sure about symbols but the Navoo temple definetly had many including the huge sun stones, one of which is currently in the Smithsonian. As I think I said earlier, I have taken back any theory that the masons created the lds church. However, I do still believe that Smith and the early church fathers drew heavily from the masonic rituals to fill in areas where they needed doctrine, procedure, etc. Hence why the temple rituals of the two groups were for a long time basically identical. Also why the Navoo temple had the sun, pentagrams, and other symbols in it that would be associated with the masons. Has anyone else here seen the prophet of the church speak in person? That is one thing that I will say surprised me and went a long way towards me converting. He was the most charismatic speaker I think I have ever seen speak in person. It was almost hypnotizing.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I have studied religion deeply for many, many years including John Calvin's Insitutes. I grew up a Presbyterian (Calvanist). My grandparents were hardshell Baptist as were some of my girlfriends. Other girlfriends were Methodist, Luthern, Episcopalian, Mormon, Cathloic and yes Jewish. I have studied many faiths to say the least. Included in my studies, were tracing my roots to the tribe of Judah.

I enjoy being with the congregational people of all faiths including Jehovah's Witness. However, the further I drive into all these faiths none are for me. My friends believe they need to be a member of a religious organization and I applaud their efforts. I do not feel the compulsion to delute the true faith of belief through organized religion.

For example: 10 percent tithe in theory is great. When the KJV of the Bible is read, it reveals 10 percent for three years in one area of tithe and 10 percent per year in other areas. The way I calculate the Devine law on tithe is around 18 to 21 percent per year give or take a percentage. Please read about tithing in the KVJ. Now come to modern nations taxing in excess. The elderly and orphan programs the Bible mentioned are covered by your taxes to the State (Country). In the USA, I calculate 1.5 percent per year given to the church as a tithe meets Biblical requirements. Anything above this should be considered a love-offering and there is nothing wrong with offering more to God. If organized religion had to comply with the truths of this alone, it would bankrupt their ministries. So, you will never hear this in mass or sermon.

What is wrong, is how the love offering and tithe is used. This is where the rub comes with most large organizations. Most of these organizations promote their views on what they preceive as truths. They spend mine and your money to fund these blind ideas of truth. In my opinion, I have yet to find one church that really understands the doctrine of the Gospel of the Kingdom and the Gospel of your Salvation which go hand in hand. This added to the fact that many rituals and beliefs can be construed as Satanic, gives me an erie feeling about organized religion. I apologize if this arguments is abrasive.

My preferrence is to worship the best I possibly can attain without all the mire of organized religion hampering the true belief. Christ separated from the Jewish religion in as much as he was trying to fulfill the prophesies of the Old Septuagint text. He taught mainly in Galilee not Jerusalem where they wanted to kill him for teaching the truth. He attended passover and any other requirements by law. He had to stay within the law of God to be the worthy as the Passover Lamb. Yet he healed on the Sabath and stated that I AM - meaning he is God. The same Sauducces and Pharises that wanted to stone him in his times are still at work today.

Organized religion will follow anything anyone says whom they deem the authority speaking for God. Very scary thought because usually these speakers are either mis-guided or led by the devil, lucifer, satan. They believe a lie. I guess this is why Revelation speaks about the Great Whore and the little Harlots. Read what Revelation has to say about the different periods of the church of organized religion. Revelation states those who overcome will sit at his right hand and be Sons of God. Please wake up and come out of her or change her into something that God will be well pleased. The Mormon church is only one of many that needs reform. I guess I am protesting the protestant movement back into the freedom to persue the true faith we once enjoyed.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JosekinucOrganized religion will follow anything anyone says whom they deem the authority speaking for God. Very scary thought because usually these speakers are either mis-guided or led by the devil, lucifer, satan. They believe a lie. I guess this is why Revelation speaks about the Great Whore and the little Harlots. Read what Revelation has to say about the different periods of the church of organized religion. Revelation states those who overcome will sit at his right hand and be Sons of God. Please wake up and come out of her or change her into something that God will be well pleased. The Mormon church is only one of many that needs reform. I guess I am protesting the protestant movement back into the freedom to persue the true faith we once enjoyed.

Actually, like many people on this thread, I also grew up mormon so I think you should know at least as far as this comment goes, that the mormon missionaries are so successful due to the tactic of not claiming they speak for god. In fact they inform people that if they want to know if what they say is true, they should pray and ask god about it. To do whatever god tells them to do in regards to joining the church. We can all understand why that tactic is so successful. But that besides the point, I just wanted you to know that.
The general meetings in the mormon churches, called sacrament meetings, are nearly 100% only filled with talks given at the pulpit by fellow members, anyone over 12 is eligible and it rotates to everyone, I had to do it myself as a kid. You can turn it down of course, but you look really lame if you do that.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

OK, this is my first actual post on Above Top Secret. I've enjoyed reading the entries over the years, but this is the first time I've felt something warranted a response.

I'm a Mormon. I served a two year mission to Colombia (yes, the dangerous third world coutry), and while your first three posts were a, well, some what accurate portrayal of our belief system (with a few glaring misrepresentations and omissions), the fourth post was absolutely hilarious. Several people have responded to most of the misconceptions written there, but I'd like to add my two cents.

Are you kidding me? You honestly believe that Mormonism is part of the NWO? Allow me to explain something. There is a reason why many memebers of the CIA are mormons. Shortly after I returned from my mission, I was approached by the CIA to join them as a "Calndestine Agent", which I guess is someone who actually works in the field in different countries, gathering intel. When I asked them why they were recruiting me, they said 1 - I was already fluent in spanish, and familiar with the cultural habits in Colombia, and 2 - In general, Mormons are more honest, turstworthy, and are less likely to betray their country. So the CIA actually has a recruitment program where they track down returned missionaries from various countries and try to get them to join up.

There's your grand NWO conspiracy.

Honestly, your conjectures are really, really silly. Yes, Mormons are asked to have a two year food supply, in case of an emergency. Shortly before I arrived in Colombia, there was a huge earthquake in the enterior of the country (1999), and believe me, the members of the church who had a food storage were very grateful for the advice, and happy they had something. And the reason we're asked to have two years worth of food, is because in the case of a dire emergency where food is not available, two years worth of food for one family, is enough food for three months for most of our neighbors families. So while you label us nut-cases, we're simply trying to look out for our neighbors and fellow men. Which we believe is one of the core teachings of Jesus Christ, the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and most modern day revelations our Prophets have received.

Lastly, yes, one of the core tenants of the Mormon religion is asking God for yourself wether or not it's the true church, wether or not Joseph Smith was a prophet or a nut-case, and wether or not the Book of Mormon is true. And frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. You see, most people believe their religion because they were raised that way, or because they think it's the closest to what they personally believe, etc. But as for me, I was an aitheist for a long time, decided it didn't quite work for me, did a large and extensive study of every religion I could find, and came down to two finalists, Buddhism, and Mormonism. So I asked God himself, not my pastor, not a philosopher, I went straight to the source, and I got my answer. I think it's funny that the idea of asking God directly for knowledge is being painted in a bad light. Yes, certainly talking to God is a bad thing. Just listen to what everyone else, and all the experts tell you is correct. Isn't that the kind of thinking that led us into the dark ages?

Now if anyone has any questions about Mormonism, I'd be more than happy to ask, not as an ex-member of the church, or someone whose talked to mormons, but a real live blooded, temple going, tithe paying, pot luck attending mormon.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think the misconception with mormons is that so little is really known about them that people like to make things up to fill the gaps. I too have read several posts on these boards and the accusations made, and to be honest, they are funny!

Although I am not an active going on member of the church, I can tell you a lot of the allegations against the church are complete inaccurate. And like Mr. Spider, I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by question_reality

1827. not 1927.

but thank you for all of the clarifications... it was much appreciated.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That's just a branch of the government talking to you. Idk why they wanted you to become Mormon though

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Funny I know this from someone connected to Mormonism...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I am a excommunicated LDS Mormon. Now christian Diest

Some things i learned is unless you are born into the church you will never get far in the church.

Now to confuse everyone. There are a large number of offshoots of the Mormon church.

One is even a gay Mormon church. And some that are open to LGBT members.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I know a lot about mormonism but couldn't find the energy to read all that. so to someone who knows a lot can you sum it up for them

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join