It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates strike in Alabama, declare prison is “running a slave empire”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Scary map, and it could be interpreted for identification of totalitarian regimes and lack of freedom.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

The privatization of the US prison system needs to end, NOW.

I agree with the above statement.

The thing is if you don't break the law you won't go to prison.

Being "one bad traffic stop away from just such a fate" sounds a bit cynical. Maybe if you are transporting illegal goods or have drugs or a bomb in your vehicle but I don't think most people end up in prison because they were speeding or ran a stop sign.

Say you're driving along, get a text, decide to take a look, run a stop sign. Seems like two pretty simple traffic offenses, but now, let's say there was a 10-year old boy riding his bike and you just smashed into him, killing the child. Now you've got vehicular manslaughter. This could result in a couple of years of making license plates. This could happen to anyone, not just criminals.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: opal13

You created a post on August 9th of 2009 titled "Questin Regarding Military, Union Thugs and FEMA Camps"!

Now my question to you is, being that you brought that up then, why do you defend the incarcerations of people and allowing them to be used as slave labor now???

Just curious!

I'm going to forward this for you
Bumpity

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

As it should be because the taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for criminals.

Inmates have too many rights as convicted felons

So if it were for example me who was behind bars and I refused to work (which is what would happen) then what do you do? Since you say the inmates have "too many rights and must foot the bill" what do you suggest? Torture, maybe we should just execute them all.

Guaranteed I'm not going to be a slave for you, them or society. Maybe just shoot the perp when arrested, that will take care of them and no prison costs. Oh wait, cops do that all the time already, never mind.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

As it should be because the taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for criminals.

Inmates have too many rights as convicted felons

...Guaranteed I'm not going to be a slave for you, them or society. Maybe just shoot the perp when arrested, that will take care of them and no prison costs. Oh wait, cops do that all the time already, never mind.

Topics like this really get the hyperbole flowing...

I do not agree with private corporations being involved with incarcerating people for violating the laws of society (in whole or any operational part, such as food service/medical/custody). If a corporation can not imprison you for violating company rules, then what business do they have being involved with imprisoning people for violating laws?

I have worked in prisons for most of my adult life...just over 15 years ago, our state commenced privatization with the medical department...then the food service, and now at least one prison is being operated by GEO Corporation. The selling point is they are supposed to save the taxpayer money...

Bull Cookies...If they were saving the taxpayer money, then the tax collectors would reduce the amount they are collecting...have they? No...Our state has raised taxes...Even in the midst of a budget surplus (which was there when the current regime assumed office, then the press reported had been squandered and misreported by the prior regime, and then miraculously reappeared at the end of the eight year regime).

Society makes laws...if they do not want the cheapest option (a bullet) for all offenses, then society HAS AN OBLIGATION TO PAY FOR ENFORCEMENT OF THOSE LAWS!!! To enforce the laws, from the investigation, detection, arrest, prosecution, punishment, is the SOLE REASON FOR A GOVERNMENT TO EXIST!!! Government has now ceded its reason to exist, and nobody seems to care one whit...

By the way, nearly all of the offenders will still work, regardless of a "strike." The offenders are still cooks (responsible for their meals), they are still janitors and cleaners (responsible for sanitation and laundry), and they are maintenance (physical plant). They have staff people that come in and supervise, but the population does the work. No work and kiss the visits, telephones, and recreation, goodbye...

That does not mean to say I agree with the OP and other people saying it is easy peasy to get thrown in prison...You have to eff up really bad to get thrown in prison...Anybody who says otherwise is simply a manipulator, moral equivocator, or just plain silly...
edit on 19-4-2014 by totallackey because: additional content

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

This could happen to anyone, not just criminals.

Actually, it only happens to CRIMINALS who text and drive...it is AGAINST THE LAW to text and drive in nearly every state...

Text Messaging: Washington was the first state to pass a texting ban in 2007. Currently, 43 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands ban text messaging for all drivers. All but 5 have primary enforcement. Of the 7 states without an all driver texting ban:
4 prohibit text messaging by novice drivers.
3 restrict school bus drivers from texting.

Besides being against the law, it is just plain STUPID!!!

If you are are CDL operator, you cannot use a handheld device at all...
edit on 19-4-2014 by totallackey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: totallackey

I totally agree with you, but...do you have teen age children? You must not, because if you did, you would worry about this very possible scenario. You can't control what your child is doing out there and trust me...they are texting. Two years ago in my town, a 16 year old girl was doing the unimaginably stupid thing of texting while driving only a week after getting her license, went right past a stopped school bus letting off a child and she stuck the child as he crossed the road. Fortunately, the kid lived and she got a slap on the wrist because she was from a well-to-do family and played sports. But, it can happen. I don't think anyone in this town labeled her a criminal, it was an unfortunate accident and she was just plain stupid!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

No work and kiss the visits, telephones, and recreation, goodbye...

That does not mean to say I agree with the OP and other people saying it is easy peasy to get thrown in prison...You have to eff up really bad to get thrown in prison...

Anybody who says otherwise is simply a manipulator, moral equivocator, or just plain silly...

Still not going to work if I ever end up in there. Not going to happen. I'm sure there is appropriate "punishment" for people who refuse. Don't care, they can maintain their own prisons.

There are many innocent people in prison today. Just read another story this morning about a women who was finally freed after 5 years for murder she didn't commit. After she sues the SOB's for false imprisonment I hope they also have to separately pay her wages for the 5 years for whatever job they made her perform, with interest.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Being "one bad traffic stop away from just such a fate" sounds a bit cynical. Maybe if you are transporting illegal goods or have drugs or a bomb in your vehicle but I don't think most people end up in prison because they were speeding or ran a stop sign.

Definitely an understatement. There are plenty of people who have been let down by the court system and rogue cops who have planted drugs in their vehicles. There are countless people in prisons who are innocent. I have hear d this story myself from quite a few cops.

edit on 19-4-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Like I said...the hyperbole is overwhelming at times...

You are maintaining your own "prison," right now...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Right message wrong messenger. I too am concerned about the prison industry, anyone who's been paying attention knows that prisons are being used to make money and some people have been railroaded. Melvin Ray is the wrong guy to bring this up though. Mr. Ray wasn't sent to prison for only his labor as he wants people to believe, he's serving a life sentence for murder.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Yeah...I have two children that are now in their twenties...Did the best I could...one of them actually served time...so I claim to have a deeper understanding of the whole topic than everyone in this thread combined...given this is what I do for a living...

"And when you finally fly away
I'll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose..."

I know people break laws...everyone does...I happened to drive 60 miles an hour on the way home from the gym this afternoon...

Choices...we still have 'em...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Hyperbole is sometimes effective in bringing focus on issues people don't wish to see or acknowledge. Some of your answers lead me to believe you are in denial about the topic of slave labor actually happening in the US. Hence the hyperbole.
    Morpheus: You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind.

Some of us are simply a little more enslaved than others.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: totallackey

Yeah...I have two children that are now in their twenties...Did the best I could...one of them actually served time...so I claim to have a deeper understanding of the whole topic than everyone in this thread combined...given this is what I do for a living...

"And when you finally fly away
I'll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose..."

I know people break laws...everyone does...I happened to drive 60 miles an hour on the way home from the gym this afternoon...

Choices...we still have 'em...

So because of your experience your ASSumming you know more than anyone here?

Really?

Tell me about what you know about my life experiences!

Please!

Being that your the expert and you stated so fill me in on what you know about my life!

How is it that your experiences are above and beyond importance of the examples of other peoples in this thread?
edit on 19-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illuminawty

Definitely an understatement. There are plenty of people who have been let down by the court system and rogue cops who have planted drugs in their vehicles. There are countless people in prisons who are innocent. I have hear d this story myself from quite a few cops.

I think it is important to take note of the prior reputations of the "innocent people," you want the rest of us schmucks to believe are being "railroaded into prison by the man." Of course we can't because you do not wish to talk about that...

You want us mopes to believe that one fine, sunny morning, the local police woke up and decided to plant drugs on Mr. Rogers so they could toss him in the hoosegow?

If I was ever busted with drugs, no one would ever believe it...I do not have that type of reputation in my community. And if I ever found illegal drugs, I would immediately contact the authorities...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Hyperbole is sometimes effective in bringing focus on issues people don't wish to see or acknowledge. Some of your answers lead me to believe you are in denial about the topic of slave labor actually happening in the US. Hence the hyperbole.
    Morpheus: You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind.

Some of us are simply a little more enslaved than others.

There is no doubt...and the thoughts expressed in your writing are describing Neo to a tee...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: totallackey

originally posted by: Illuminawty

I think it is important to take note of the prior reputations of the "innocent people," you want the rest of us schmucks to believe are being "railroaded into prison by the man." Of course we can't because you do not wish to talk about that...

You want us mopes to believe that one fine, sunny morning, the local police woke up and decided to plant drugs on Mr. Rogers so they could toss him in the hoosegow?

If I was ever busted with drugs, no one would ever believe it...I do not have that type of reputation in my community. And if I ever found illegal drugs, I would immediately contact the authorities...

So are you saying that NEVER EVER EVER, has an innocent human being been framed by a corrupt cop or court system?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

So because of your experience your ASSumming you know more than anyone here?

About prisons and what goes on inside them and the entire history of the penal system in the US?

Yes...I could do an AMA on prisons in the US...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Why would I ever claim that?

If you are going to experience apparent anaphylaxis over this and continue to demonstrate such an inability to comprehend the written word, I see no further need to respond...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: minusinfinity

I think your mentality is part of the problem. No doubt you never have been arrested and the majority of Americans have not been arrested and are clueless to what the prison/justice system is truly about. You have it your mind that if someone is arrested, convicted, and sent to prison they deserve it and deserve to be slaves. Most people have never been arrested, or have loved ones been arrested share this view that essentially de-humanizes prisoners and that some how makes it okay for a prisoner to be sent to a slave camp or face other atrocities.

Sorry to call you out, but that is what I have observed in the US.

This is so true. I've never been arrested, but know some who have been arrested on crap charges. One of my brothers was arrested for "looking intimidating". Serious this was the charge. My brother is 6'4" and about 300 lbs and yes that's intimidating, but he's never hurt anybody, ever.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join