It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blu Ray app for Android?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know if/where I can get an app for my Android phone that plays Blu Ray quality movies? Any suggestions that directly answer the question are welcome.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Why would you want BluRay quality on your phone? The screen is tiny. You won't be able to tell the difference.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think most video apps on android play HD movies these days? search for HD video player or something. And yes you will notice a difference between SD and HD quality if you have a smartphone with an HD compatible resolution, doesn't matter if it's tiny it still has as many pixels as a full-size screen. The difference between 720p and 1080p will probably be very very marginal on such a small screen though, not worth the extra space.
edit on 19/4/2014 by Konoyaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konoyaro
I think most video apps on android play HD movies these days? search for HD video player or something. And yes you will notice a difference between SD and HD quality if you have a smartphone with an HD compatible resolution, doesn't matter if it's tiny it still has as many pixels as a full-size screen. The difference between 720p and 1080p will probably be very very marginal on such a small screen though, not worth the extra space.

I am currently using VLC. I am in the market for a better app for playing Bluray movies.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Why would you want BluRay quality on your phone? The screen is tiny. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Thank you for that observation, Captain. If my current app wasn't giving my problems with Bluray movies, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

What kind of problem is it? Stuttering or something else? Has it always had this problem? Have you tried any other app in the past?

If it's always been a problem it could be that your phone is not powerful enough to play HD quality files.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What kind of problem is it? Stuttering or something else? Has it always had this problem? Have you tried any other app in the past?

If it's always been a problem it could be that your phone is not powerful enough to play HD quality files.

Stuttering, pixelating, freezing...but the audio is always perfectly fine. It's just the graphics that are suffering. Yeah, it figures that high definition copies are the ONLY copies available. What do I have to do to get some crummy degenerate half-rate movies? Hahaha. Oh, my phone is a sad one. Does that mean there's no app to help me?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Well from what I can see, the VLC for andoid is in a beta stage and hardware decoding is not yet working in all cases. This could be your problem, try "mx player" and see if there is any difference, if it displays the same symptoms:
restart your phone and try again, still the same?
Download "clean master" and run it to clean out some junk in your phone otherwise there is probably no hope for your sad phone
Except maybe more advanced options like rooting your phone and installing a custom ROM.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

Stuttering, pixelating, freezing...but the audio is always perfectly fine. It's just the graphics that are suffering. Yeah, it figures that high definition copies are the ONLY copies available. What do I have to do to get some crummy degenerate half-rate movies? Hahaha. Oh, my phone is a sad one. Does that mean there's no app to help me?

Sounds more like a GPU acceleration problem. Maybe the GPU on your device is to weak to handle it, which would not suprise me.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I like to watch movies when I'm away from home, and my phone is always on me, but maybe I'm just asking too much of it.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Don't watch movies on phones, BUT, I do have a huge collection of stuff at the house. If I have a movie that I want to watch (maybe my only copy) and it's just not enough movie content wise to justify the storage a BR takes, I downsample it.

I bet you could downsample your BR movies on your home system and convert them to something just fine for your phone but of lower resolution.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Try MX player from the playstore.I have an android TV player which is only a dual core processor and it handles all HD movies perfectly.
I also use it on my quad core processor phone and I've yet to find a video format or file that it can't handle.
MX player can use software decoding or hardware decoding to play videos so if your GPU can't handle the files using hardware decoding change it to software decoding. The option is available at the top right hand corner of the screen and abbreviated to s/w & h/w.
Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Mxplayer or BSplayer do the job for me

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Mx player for non ac3 audio, bsplayer for ac3.

top topics

join