It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts: Only thing Preventing a 'City-Killer' Sized Asteroid Hit is Blind Luck."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hey Flyers.........Good thread, I was not aware there was that many recent impacts.

Yes, the one in Russia, should've opened some eyes. I had seen on RT that, that one was one of like 20, Apparently, a big asteroid broke up.

That just goes to show, there is always a possibility. We can just hope they land in water or a remote place.

I would like to have more info on this. Like how they compared the nuke seismic results and the impact seismic results.

Star and flag for you my friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: zilebeliveunknown

A few days ago someone posted and the thread was pulled. It gave a 2 to 3 week window for some new object that has been re calculated to be more dangerous than we know. I can't elaborate as when i tried to respond it was gone, and wish they would not do this. At least let people respond with mockery or what ever. Would have been nice to see the supposed item if it had a name and we could go into JPL and get the orbit diagram or what ever to do our own investigation and make up our own minds...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: ketsuko
So, what if we see it coming? What can we do about it? There's nothing we can really do, ....

If we'd put money into projects that can find them and do something about them, then that would be money well spent. But you have to find the asteroids first in order for the gov't to spend the money on projects that can divert the asteroids. Like I said .... I'd rather spend the tax money on these projects which will give our brightest and best minds (Scientists and Engineers) employment in a positive direction, rather than see the gov't spend it on the kind of crap that they spend it on now.

How many people have actually died from these sort of impacts?? I cant even remember 1 incident right now...
How many people die each year from shark attacks? is it 2-3 on average?? why not fund a shark detector?
How many people die from lightning strikes each year? How about a lightning detector?

Sure, we should research into this. But this shouldnt be a priorty at all, first should figure out why you think the goverment spend their money on crap now, and how this would change that?

Lots of other stuff going on in the world killing people, stuff funded by goverments... if we kill ourself before that happens, there is no need to worry about a possible future asteroid

Peace
edit on 19 4 2014 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
search on google for British politician here, our government knows about incoming asteroid - See more at: webcache.googleusercontent.com...:sFPNlJAdsTgJ:www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1007475/pg1+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk#sthash.xcZC frML.dpuf

copy and paste this in browser (dont click the link) to see it, i saw it as well and spent 4 hours finding it again.
or you could search 12th april 2014

edit on 19-4-2014 by orinoco4 because: link not working

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: wildespace

Yup, raising awareness that we are helpless apes in constant mortal danger from flying mountains from space is nothing but good... heh.

naaahhhh man, bruce willy will save us!

hopkins.typepad.com...
edit on 19-4-2014 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Yes we've been lucky, but the luck isn't completely blind.
The Tunguska impact in 1908 would have devastated a city but it instead leveled the forest in a remote area. In fact amazingly we don't know of even a single death from it.

It helps that most of the Earth is covered by water and not land, and also that large areas of land are uninhabited.

I'm not sure what percentage of the land mass is occupied by cities, but let's say 4% (anyone has a better guess or figure let me know). Factor in the percentage of ocean and this leaves roughly a 1% chance that a city killer like the Tunguska impactor would actually impact a city.

It was thought that the Tunguska type impact happened say every 500 years or so. I'm not completely convinced the data in the article shows that it happens 10x more often, but assume this is true and they happen every 50 years. Once you factor in the 1%, this means a city would be leveled once every 5000 years.

In any case, the fact that Earth is at risk from city killers shouldn't be surprising to anybody who has followed NASA's press releases about their search for Earth crossing orbits which states they don't know the orbits for most objects below a certain size, which happens to include city killers.

To the people who said there's nothing we can do, it depends on how much warning we get but if it's sufficient we could at least evacuate the city, which wouldn't save the buildings but could at least save the people.

edit on 19-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

To be fair:

You know when a storm is coming, and most of us are taught as kids to stay inside during a thunder storm.

Sharks live in the ocean and seas. They don't fall out of the sky suddenly however.

I understand your point and most people will look at it that way.

Just like the people that build their cities on the slopes of volcanoes.

Or build cities in low laying areas where hurricanes sweep in.

Or have those cities where F5 tornadoes touch down.

Or build cities (or nuclear reactors for that mater) on major fault lines.

The point being: just because no one has been killed by one yet, does not detract from the fact that the danger does exist, and could one day happen.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
August 14, 2126, the Swift/Tuttle 6 mile wide comet, is calculated to hit Earth @ 8.00am....Damn right in the middle of peak hour traffic!!!!
Extinction level event.......Goodbye, and thanks for all the Pizzas and Burgers.

Of course that calculation was 20 years ago, apparently it will now pass millions of miles away....but in 3044?, well who knows ?

The Aliens will save us.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
thanks Flyers Fan

Since 2001, 26 atomic-bomb-scale explosions have occurred in remote locations around the world - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

is there a MAP of those 26 IMPACT SITES...????

seeya

edit on 19/4/2014 by shaneR because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

This Earth Day, Tuesday, April 22, three former NASA astronauts will present new evidence that our planet has experienced many more large-scale asteroid impacts over the past decade than previously thought… three to ten times more, in fact. A new visualization of data from a nuclear weapons warning network, to be unveiled by B612 Foundation CEO Ed Lu during the evening event at Seattle's Museum of Flight, shows that "the only thing preventing a catastrophe from a 'city-killer' sized asteroid is blind luck.

Human habitation area increase=hit rate increase.

edit on 19-4-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: orinoco4
search on google for British politician here, our government knows about incoming asteroid - See more at: webcache.googleusercontent.com...:sFPNlJAdsTgJ:www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1007475/pg1+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk#sthash.xcZC frML.dpuf

copy and paste this in browser (dont click the link) to see it, i saw it as well and spent 4 hours finding it again.
or you could search 12th april 2014

It gone from there also come back blank now
hope you got a screen shot
Now this sound bad losing a asteriod LOL
Losing a Asteriod

edit on 19-4-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ok here a few off the one I got last year

On this one the airport said the cloud cover was at 6500 feet
So this one came very low

This one is more of the average catch

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

maybe the 'city killer' will appear when 'this floating house' we all share need to be remodelled so everyone can live in the same room under the same ceiling... again

but when it appear, i believe we would be the last to know and we would also have no time to hide or evacuate. It doesnt matter how much money we put into research, only 'the chosen' will hear the emergency news first lol

peace

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan
How many people have actually died from these sort of impacts?? I cant even remember 1 incident right now...
How many people die each year from shark attacks? is it 2-3 on average?? why not fund a shark detector?
How many people die from lightning strikes each year? How about a lightning detector?

The odds get interesting when you compare long-term intervals with the extreme deadliness of a city-buster. If the odds of a city getting destroyed in a given year is 1/5000, but the event kills 2,000,000 people, then the average annual death-toll from asteroid strikes is 400 - more than from large passenger plane crashes.

How do you feel about funding detection efforts now?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium
That thread was from a known hoaxer around here called Bernard Schnitzel...
Got it before they removed it

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: drneville
a reply to: Trillium
That thread was from a known hoaxer around here called Bernard Schnitzel...
Got it before they removed it

Ok sound like a Bernard story LOL

But what I found looking for it
Losing a incoming Asteriod

Now this real bad in my book

2000 EM26 ( Moby Dick)

edit on 19-4-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

The odds get interesting when you compare long-term intervals with the extreme deadliness of a city-buster. If the odds of a city getting destroyed in a given year is 1/5000, but the event kills 2,000,000 people, then the average annual death-toll from asteroid strikes is 400 - more than from large passenger plane crashes.

How do you feel about funding detection efforts now?

Well it is interesting
Lets go by those numbers, even though i think 2 millions are a high number.
So 400 each year... Still a very low number compared to Goverment/Drug/Terrorist Wars... Transportation accidents, other NATURAL dissasters... Sure we should fund this research... but how much funding?

How many people dies from wars each year? a million? more? how much funding do spend on each person to "save" them? How many disseases could we wipe out by a little funding??
How about all those people dying of HUNGER each year in almost EVERY city... How about some funding to save those lives...? What do you think they would rather choose? Funding for a asteriod watcher their MIGHT save 1 out of 20.000.000 people each year or funding for food their MIGHT save 20.000.000 people each year...??

Iam just saying this should NOT be our biggest concearn at all, but OFCOURSE we should look into this
But we got more "dangerous" problems to take care of at the moment

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
In case anyone interested, here's a famous case of an "asteroid that hit the earth" - 2008 TC3.

This 80-tonn asteroid, approximately 4.1 meters (13 ft) in diameter, entered Earth's atmosphere on October 7, 2008 with a velocity of 12.8 km/s (29,000 mph) and exploded at an estimated 37 kilometers (23 mi) above the Nubian Desert in Sudan, with the energy of 0.9 to 2.1 kilotons of TNT. It was discovered just 19 hours before the impact. This was the first time that an asteroid impact had been predicted prior to its entry into the atmosphere as a meteor.

You can find out more, and see how things developed in real time, at www.planetary.org...

It's good to note that when this object was found (by several observatories indepenently) and calculated to be on a collision course, the data were shared publically through the Minor Planet Center and many astronomers scrambled to observe and study it. There was no this ridiculous notion that they would keep it hushed to prevent panic.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Those air bursts though can still cause a lot of damage if it makes it lower. The 'roid doesn't have to hit the earth to wipe out a city. Imagine one slightly large than the Russian meteor, so it detonates at 15-20km, but over New York? Whilst not enough to obliterate the city, it would certainly be enough to cause widespread damage, flying glass and injuries.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: orinoco4

Ivan Lewis did not write that, the poster claims that you can ring him to confirm, the number of his office (publically available) is 01617 735500..........be warned, you will be disappointed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join