It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decline in ATS forum discipline.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There really is. I just saw a thread with a bad word in the title and asked the op to change it because I'm at work and don't think it should be in a thread title the everyone around can see. Is that really such a big deal? Then the guy gets all huffy puffy and asks if I want him to censor himself. Really? All I did was ask to censor out the foul language.

I thought that was against the T&C. Maybe ATS should have NSFW alerts.

edit on 21-4-2014 by LucidLucinda because: Changed

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidLucinda

or maybe when you're at work, you should be....oh, i dunno, WORKING?

what was this "bad word" anyway?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

I am working at work, I answer phones and an on the internet during downtime, all approved from my manager. Before you assume to know my job...

And as far as the word, I don't use foul language so I won't repeat it. It's in the recent threads. Another one has censored out the bad word. How bar is to to put *** instead of the word? Not all people that come in here want to see this language.
edit on 21-4-2014 by LucidLucinda because: Added

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

i just saw the thread in question(quite by accident, as well)..

are you kidding? "ass" isn't even censored by the board filters...it's not considered foul. and the poster didn't get all huffy with you. you made an unreasonable request.

i don't claim to know your job, and i don't care to. common sense says that if you're at work, you should be working -shrug-

and if you're SO sensitive that you're offended by the word "ass", methinks you might need to grow a thicker skin, and if you're so worried about it, because you're at work, just do what i used to do....wait until you get home to check ATS...

seriously, don't expect the world to change for you...adapt, and overcome...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidLucinda

I am working at work, I answer phones and an on the internet during downtime, all approved from my manager. Before you assume to know my job...

And as far as the word, I don't use foul language so I won't repeat it. It's in the recent threads. Another one has censored out the bad word. How bar is to to put *** instead of the word? Not all people that come in here want to see this language.

All I can say is that I am envious of someone who's life is so problem free that this qualifies as a problem worthy of comment. Kudos to you for living well and having no real problems in your life. I have to admit that a curse on a message board does not even make it onto my radar of problems I need to address.

Keep up the good work.

Happy Easter.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Never, not once, did I say my life was problem free. Not sure how you came about to that conclusion. It isn't, nor am I the Op of this thread, but if foul language is acceptable than so be it. I thought it was a violation of the T&C.

Per ATS Terms and Conditions
15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-4-2014 by LucidLucinda because: Terms and conditions

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

I think the Moderators do a great job. There are always going to be rude people and people who are emotionally charged on discussion boards.

What is it with some of you people who can't take the fact that a thread has someone show up with a differing opinion. So now you call the "police".

Too many people carelessly agree with BS threads just so you can be "in" with whoever. All craving those silly flags and stars.

Loosening the rules is what makes a debate far more interesting rather than 100 people all repeating the same tired old story in the same thread. Doing their bit to be PC and submissive.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Never, not once, did I say my life was problem free. Not sure how you came about to that conclusion. It isn't, nor am I the Op of this thread, but if foul language is acceptable than so be it. I thought it was a violation of the T&C.

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am sorry. It was meant as a compliment, if the word "Ass" counts as something you would complain about, then everything else must be going great. Is what I meant.

What people were talking about in the thread before that was the lack of civility and ad hominen attacks in threads, rather than sticking to discussing the topic of the thread.

It must be tough, being offended by words that get so easily tossed around in common usage these days. How do you deal with it on a day-to-day basis?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The word ass has never been profane. It's an animal. Other words work the same.

Female dogs

Illegitimate children

The list goes on. Don't let society tell you what's profane. That's a personal decision. Let's act like adults.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

All I can say is that I am envious of someone who's life is so problem free that this qualifies as a problem worthy of comment. Kudos to you for living well and having no real problems in your life. I have to admit that a curse on a message board does not even make it onto my radar of problems I need to address.

Keep up the good work.

Happy Easter.

lol, first world problems, bro....

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

and in true "purity squad" fashion, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion....the 7 words you can't say on TV are censored here...those are considered foul, and they cannot appear anywhere on this site, in an uncensored form. words like "ass" are not considered profane. the profanity rule assumes that you(generic) have enough common sense to know what is commonly considered "profane language". "ass", and "damn", and "hell" are not commonly considered profane.

again, you need to grow a thicker skin, and also work while you're at work...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

What is it with some of you people who can't take the fact that a thread has someone show up with a differing opinion.

I wasn't talking about ''differing opinions''.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
I agree that the level of discourse has taken a hit of late.

In an involved thread, I don't so much mind the quick and (sometimes) witty jabs and jokes because they can be glossed over.
The problem is when one has to wade through ''jokes'' to get to the gems. A lot of jokes are made for stars and in many cases the jokes get more stars than posts of subtance. As a result, some threads are of the same intellectual quality as the comments section on an unmoderated youtube video. But in the age of twitter and smart phones, that is good for ''business''....

My concern has been the decrease in civility and an increase in personal attacks, "Hate Jargon" (ie; Sheeple, Tea bagger, Libtard. Republitard and labeling and shaming based on a view expressed)
That is a side effect of lowered posting standards. Another side effect is that those looking for a disciplined posting environment end up being called the ''purity brigade''.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If ATS was as strict as some of you may like it then membership would be reserved exclusively for geniuses and the most critical of thinkers, which would shut out all of us little people from all of this wonderful information, thus leaving us in the dark and prolonging our sheep status.

I've been lurking since 2011 and am very impressed by the positive structure and good manners that are maintained on ATS.

I'm extremely impressed with ATSers ability to be on top of everything at all times. I view you guys as the best news source ever.

ATS is awesome and I feel like we need to reach even more people! Ya, some people are too relaxed (ahem, sorry) but, some may be a wee bit overly critical, maybe?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I agree with you.

I've persistently had folks get huffy with me because I chided them and asked them to avoid using The Lord's name in a cursing/casual epithet sort of way.

That's against the T&C, too.

Of course . . . some folks consider themselves a law unto themselves. Sigh.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
If ATS was as strict as some of you may like it then membership would be reserved exclusively for geniuses and the most critical of thinkers,...

One doesn't need to be a genius to refrain from making crude and immature posts. If that has to be enforced, then why not?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n

originally posted by: GoShredAK
If ATS was as strict as some of you may like it then membership would be reserved exclusively for geniuses and the most critical of thinkers,...

One doesn't need to be a genius to refrain from making crude and immature posts. If that has to be enforced, then why not?

I totally agree with that.

Definitely not trying to excuse crudeness and immaturity.

I was just saying that it is important for all people to wake up, and I feel there is no harm in participating in a thread so long as you're not rude or off topic.

edit on 21-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Trying to make sense

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
"Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it."
-- Samuel Clemens

Here are a couple important points.

1) From time to time, we get a variety of lamentations from various members who have a particular fondness for their individual recollection of how "ATS used to be."

-- After being here since 2000, I can assure you that, since about 2005, it has remained steadily very much (in tonality) like it is now.

2) From time to time, we get a variety of lamentations about the lamentations from various members about the lamentations of members whose recollection of "how ATS used to be" aren't compatible with other member's recollections.

-- These take all forms, and usually fall in-line with "forum fatigue" and mention some drivel about declining standards.

3) Nearly every time, those members who find the time to make the effort to wax poetic about their lamentations, or lamentations about other's lamentations, choose to express their lament rather than actually do something about which they're lamenting.

-- It's easier to complain about the weather, than do something about it.
edit on 21-4-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

just when i start thinking you've changed, you go and make a post like this, lol

well played.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join