It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Cohen on Russia Ukraine Crisis "We are Well Into a Cold War"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

“For the first time in my lifetime, since the Cuban missile crisis, hot war with Russia is imaginable,” Nation contributing editor Stephen Cohen told Democracy Now!’s Amy Goodman on Thursday. Cohen, a Russia historian and expert on US-Russia relations, slammed the Obama administration for suggesting that the crisis in Ukraine was exclusively due to “Putin’s meddling,” and warned against a build-up of NATO forces near Russia’s borders. In an effort to end the crisis, Russia, Ukraine, the US and the European Union will begin talks today in Geneva. “Putin will compromise at these negotiations,” Cohen warned, “but he will not back off if confronted militarily.”

I thought we where done with waking up to the worry of MAD being in effect, with the old cold war stances rising.

It seems, we are blundering into conflict at full steam.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
News Flash:

The cold war never ended. It was at times more covert. But consistent and constant nonetheless.

We must destroy each other at some point. Why postpone the inevitable?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
News Flash:

The cold war never ended. It was at times more covert. But consistent and constant nonetheless.

We must destroy each other at some point. Why postpone the inevitable?

Have you heard of Anatoly Golitsyn?

Despite taking 22 years to write and publish New Lies for Old, Golitsyn nonetheless asserted that "the substance of the argument has changed little since 1968" [4]. Put simply, Golitsyn's argument was that beginning in about 1960, the Soviet Union embarked on a strategy of massive long-range strategic deception which would span several decades and result in the destruction of Western capitalism and the erection of a communist world government. Throughout his works, he refers to this future event as "convergence"

Many of his predictions have come true,

Mark Riebling’s 1994 title “Wedge: The Secret War Between the FBI and CIA,” of the 148 falsifiable predictions Golitsyn put forth in his 1984 work, by 1993 139, or 94% were proven correct.

He predicted things like the fall of the Berlin wall, and several other interesting points, worth looking into.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

The Russians have been involved in elaborate psychological operations in the USA for decades. The peace movement was most noteworthy. Destroy from within.... They have been involved covertly with enemies of the USA overseas as well, and we have covertly aided enemies of Russia. The defeat of the Russians in Afghanistan was a direct result of US covert operations...

It has never ended, sooner or later we are going to have a real showdown.

IMO.

edit on 18-4-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The Military industrial complex need's the western Nations to invest in weapons .Nato should have gone the way of the do-do but instead became some sort of a Military tool for the corporations .The west don't really believe the lies and propaganda they are spinning to the masses .I don't think the west is crazy enough to go hot with Russia .They would like to create a civil war in Ukraine though and tie Russia up so they can create their no fly zone over Syria .

I wonder just how duped the west is by the Zionist .Is Obama ,Kerry and others part of the problem or just the patsies ?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
The Military industrial complex need's the western Nations to invest in weapons .Nato should have gone the way of the do-do but instead became some sort of a Military tool for the corporations .The west don't really believe the lies and propaganda they are spinning to the masses .I don't think the west is crazy enough to go hot with Russia .They would like to create a civil war in Ukraine though and tie Russia up so they can create their no fly zone over Syria .

I wonder just how duped the west is by the Zionist .Is Obama ,Kerry and others part of the problem or just the patsies ?

The war economy we have been surviving on since WW2, is not sustainable, and the human cost are staggering.

How many vets, with substandard care?

How many of our best and brightest lying dead in foreign lands?

All for what? to prop up a system that hurts all.

Its getting harder and harder to take the Moral high road as an American, all that we have allowed to happen.

In the name of perpetual war.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl There is no rational to what I have seen in my short time on this planet .What happened to progress , ethics and integrity ?All of the work that many good intelligent people have worked towards in the past ,seemed to have been over turned by a cabal of what can only be described as pure evil . We only get small glimpse of the volume of the evil done to the human race and by who ? Who is really the ones behind the scene calling the shots and will they ever fulfill their plan or will it just keep going on and on ? don't know but I cant wait to get off this dirt ball .I have it maid compared to many .It's just so so sad .

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

No, our idiot clown of a President and his administration and retards like McCain are propelling us into war with Russia. Obama should be impeached and we should purge our entire government.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Oh and say what you want about Russia they are prepared for a protracted war with anyone. While America has been sitting on its rear plundering and pillaging its economy Russia has been building massive bunkers like Yementau. The Russian people are tough and won't lie down without a fight. Look at America we are a divided national politically, culturally, etc. I mean at face value as an American do I have any more freedoms and prosperity than the average Russian? Is Putin and the Russian government any more corrupt than mine? Our government better keep in mind the American people are sick and tired of it..........the enemy government of our government just might turn out to be our friend!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I found myself not wanting to believe this mans truths............He is right and I was wrong on a couple of things. Thanks OP for opening my eyes.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I have to ask, as someone who assumes that the Ukrainian people want to remain independent, why the hell are there no journalists in western Ukraine?

Either this guy is full of poo or something is clearly wrong. How is it even possible to not have any reporting out of a politically and militarily significant region in this day and age?

Let alone one that is presumably sympathetic to the west.
edit on 19-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Destroying one nation though will mean the destruction of the entire population of the human race, especially if nukes are involved, which you know they would be. Unless mad actually meant something.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Putin is no crazy or wild man he is smart calculating and a cunning adversary. he is testing the waters seeing what he can get away with rebuilding his country he wants what they lost in the 90's back. they are along way from being what they once were but not as far as many believe with there oil and gas wealth and the people behind him now it wont be long. a cold war is exactly what he needs to motivate his people to stand behind him. He is not like the old guard brutalizing and making his people fear there government he is gonna unite them by placing that fear on america making them believe he is there savior the propaganda there people are feed about america is intense at this point. with china brazil and iran and other nations as allies it not just america vs russia anymore. and with the economic collapse in the western world and america pissing off it allies and near bankruptcy its a perfect storm for them to take down america in the next few year if we dont come together and take this shat seriously.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ever sines WWII Russia has been very active in rivalling the western world especially Europe and for much longer... it will continue for the forceable future

It's not a case of any one side doing this that or the other, all countries do it, China vs Japan, India vs Pakistan etc etc etc

So of course anybody that thought the Cold War was over clearly doesn't understand how the world works or much rather history

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: GroidNificent
Destroying one nation though will mean the destruction of the entire population of the human race, especially if nukes are involved, which you know they would be. Unless mad actually meant something.

Indefinite Isolation and sanctions are enough, I think that's the new Cold War 2.0 we will all see being played out until Russia no longer has the capacity to make a threat, don't see why the world has to suffer over Russia and the wests differences... and if the recent aggression from Russia in Ukraine and it's actions in Syria tells us anything at all, it would be that Russia is being successfully contained and becoming increasingly desperate and aggressive in the process, the sanctions will eventually hamper Russians ability to become aggressive in the future... In theory

edit on 19-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
Oh and say what you want about Russia they are prepared for a protracted war with anyone. While America has been sitting on its rear plundering and pillaging its economy Russia has been building massive bunkers like Yementau. The Russian people are tough and won't lie down without a fight. Look at America we are a divided national politically, culturally, etc. I mean at face value as an American do I have any more freedoms and prosperity than the average Russian? Is Putin and the Russian government any more corrupt than mine? Our government better keep in mind the American people are sick and tired of it..........the enemy government of our government just might turn out to be our friend!!!!!

What purpose would bunkers serve in the events of a thermonuclear war?

The USA is but a small part of the Western world and NATO but without doubt the strongest ally and member... I don't see why your slagging of your own country, which is fine.... But tarring the entire western world and assuming we don't have the right to stand up to Russia who do everything they can to rival the west is just silly, and so is even contemplating them as a friend and not as corrupt

And as for corruption I thinks it's fairly unanimous that the kremlin is far more corrupt, most western country politicians are lucky if they can get away with over claiming for housing, some have been forced to pay back thousands

While in Russia Putin makes a personal 70billion fortune and the rest of his buddies in the kremlin acquire similar vast wealth without the public batting an eyelid, the corruption in Russia is on a far far far grander scale than anywhere in the western world

The western world is vastly more compartmentalised in terms of big business and government, in places like Russia and China it's not uncommon for government officials to have some 25,000 people working for them, but the country's are so poor these people couldn't care a less as to there employers vas wealth as long as they're pYit there bills and feeding there family's... corruption on steroids

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

No, our idiot clown of a President and his administration and retards like McCain are propelling us into war with Russia. Obama should be impeached and we should purge our entire government.

No that's not what it is at all

It's called a tough stance nothing more, sitting back not saying anything as the world sole military superpower gives Russia a green like to go carving up new boarders in the East of Europe

Which would eventually lead to war anyway

Dammed of you do dammed if you don't has always be the US Achilles heal and will be the next superpowers too

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
Either this guy is full of poo or something is clearly wrong. How is it even possible to not have any reporting out of a politically and militarily significant region in this day and age?

Fox-News/BBC/CNN don't need reporters in the Ukraine, no sir they just need a woman with big tits to say what she thinks is happening, a softball question now and then and the events have been written as if they are facts.

maybe nothing is being reported or uploaded to youtube because nothing is happening in the west of the country which is the type of thing you would expect in a phony war that has been designed to push up military spending and oil prices on both sides.

Fool me once............

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
no sir they just need a woman with big tits to say what she thinks is happening

Well, we all need that.

But seriously, I am reacting to Mr. Cohen's assertion that there is no reporting coming out of western Ukraine. Whatever you believe about the situation that seems implausible to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It is not really a cold war when one side so out classes the other. Russia has problems and lots of them. The corruption ruins anything anybody who trys to fix things does. The collapse of the Russian defense industry means it needs the West just to try and keep up with the times be it drones from Israel or ships from France. Also the desperate need for Western capital to sustain Russian economic growth makes Russia very vulnerable. The caucasus are ripe with insurgents just looking for the chance to rise up again. Russia can not afford a cold war. It economic weakness, its military weakness and its lack of friends in the world leave it in a very bad way. And simmering below it all is revolt. Despite the squashing of public opposition and the fact that Russia is a heavly policed state (more police than the US with 1/3 the population) the signs of unrest are appearing more and more. With a puch the west couple most likely topple Russia but, that would be bad for everybody and create a huge mess like Syria only much much worse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join