It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny vs. Plump Poll

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadySkadi
So I had to google the conversion of stones to pounds, but then I accidentally put the kilogram number in for stone and holy crap, it converted to around 900 pounds! Gulp.

Suffice it to say, I think most women (anyone really) looks best when they are not at the stick thin end of the spectrum OR at the 1000 pounds end of the spectrum.

Sorry about the chart. I tried to find one that read in measurements we could understand, but they were all embedded in links from hard-to-get-to places. Oh well, we'll figure it out.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
When I was working construction, and very strong, I weighed about 250#. I'm six foot one and a half inches. I could carry blocks around all day long or lift walls and trusses easily. I could work twelve to sixteen hours a day, always doing something around the house after finishing with work. This equates to mildly obese in almost all the charts. I could toss around two hundred pound tools and equipment all day long, shovel for hours straight, and climb around in trusses and on roofs all day.

I was healthy as an ox. I can still carry two bushels of potatoes at a time, or toss big rocks around the yard. I can still pick up a clothes dryer by myself and put it in a truck. I have damaged my back a few times in the past so I have to watch not to throw it out when I am doing things. Also have two repaired hernias. I couldn't fathom not being able to grab a four by eight sheet of 1/4 inch plate steel and carrying it somewhere. I have lost some muscle over the last ten years, and gained fifteen pounds. Now I consider myself overweight but not back then.

I don't know who is making those rules, but I think they are a little nuts to think the way they do. Maybe they can't comprehend what you can do when you have muscles.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735
We were talking about how freakin' skinny (and sick) we look when we are at our "ideal weight",

I disagree. Im in the yellow zone at 6ft 80kg with a healthy athletic frame...

Im good looking as well...at least, thats what my mom tells me

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: DenyFlatulence

One actress that comes to mind that we really like, is Angelina Jolie

I remember her back in her earlier days being more meaty and tomboyish-athletic like

Now she's starting to get that sickly anorexic look.....too damn skinny IMO
Makes one wonder if she's okay

I remember Kelly Clarkson saying she wasn't allowing the media to make her feel guilty about her weight when she first won American Idol. I was so proud of her for saying that!

Well... looks like they finally got to her.

She doesn't look too bad in the second picture, but I thought she was beautiful just as she was. She doesn't even look like the same girl!!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Ah, no big deal, I just had a WTH moment was all... hehe

Over the years I've discovered my "ideal" weight. It's not about what any chart tells you, it's about that balance between where you both feel and look good.

edit on 18-4-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Sophia Loren is my ideal woman.

Actually, my wife is, but Sophia comes a close second.

Beauty should never be designated by someone else. Health should never be designated by someone else.

Souls are beautiful.

Skin is just an organ.

Words of wisdom, Beezzer. And worded in the way of the wise ( if you know what's good for you. LOL).

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyFlatulence
a reply to: snarky412

It wasn't intended.
I was just being honest about body image and how it doesn't matter much to me. And what does.

Ah, the way to a ladies heart ( flutters eyes) *sigh*

[I better hush before Sled bonks me or something.....oops]

Oh dear! I feel I'm going to be out-numbered here! (runs into drug store for energy drink) I'm hurrying, Deny. Hang on! Wait for me!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This thread and those skeletal models in the op, inspired me to run to the gas station for some junk food..
High five!!

*I asked the Kwik trip lady to put some more dogs on the heat roller device.. She started removing all the old the old rollerbites and other crap. and I was like, "hey there! Soo, what are you gonna do with all those well seasoned yummies? I hope you're not going to throw those away?! (wink wink)" She said, "Trust me, You don't want those. They've been out all day and they're all dried out."
My heart sank. Oh, how I did want them!! I did, I did!!

(Hindsight. I'm really glad she resisted my charm because I feel a little sick now. Oof.)

edit on 19-4-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I stand 5'5" tall, weigh 112 lbs, and according to this chart am underweight. Yes, you can see my ribs all the way around to my back, yes my clavicles are protruding and yes, my hipbones are very prominent as are my cheekbones. Even my skull is small (it's a complete mystery as to how my giant brain even fits in there). But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my body. I am just a tiny chick and this is my body type. I eat more than anyone else I know and I eat mostly healthy foods, but not as a way to be thin...I just hate grease and fried stuff and salty whatnot. And I can say it gets extremely irritating to hear the snarky comments directed my way by both people who know me and complete strangers, day in and day out. Some examples:

If I put on my hoodie at a restaurant: "You wouldn't be so cold if you put some meat on your bones."
If I order a big meal: "You're planning on eating all that? What are you, bulimic?"
In general: "Why are you so skinny?" "Are you sick?" "Wow, must be nice to eat whatever you want." and my personal favorite: "Do you have AIDS or something?"

If I were to weigh a "normal" amount according to that chart, I would be quite large...far too large for my bone structure. My wrists measure 6" around, which is a marker by which to gauge frame size. Were I to somehow gain enough weight to fall into the "normal" category my heart would have to pump far harder to circulate my blood around the extra bulk, my joints would be strained beyond their limit, and my bones-already showing signs of osteoporosis-would struggle to hold me up.

I try really hard to ignore the bitchy, rude and unsolicited comments but sometimes my temper overcomes me and I will stop in my tracks and give the offending party a piece of my mind (and obviously, they need it). Not everyone who is slender starves themselves or pukes up their meals after eating, and it's really sad that this world has become so cynical and judgmental that people just make blanket assumptions about others based on appearance alone. I wonder how much fat folks would like it if they got some nasty comment from a complete stranger for ordering a double cheeseburger or something: "Wow, are you sure you only want one of those and not three?" "You wouldn't be so overheated if you just dropped a pants size or two." I can say with a fair amount of confidence that things like that would not be very well received.

Those charts measure height and weight and do not account for the skeletal structure underneath. It is an archaic form of assessing "healthy" weight and most physicians never use it for that reason. It has nothing to do with the fashion industry or the media. It is simply an outdated system, much like the Food Pyramid, which has been updated several times and still needs improvement. So if you have a large bone structure and manage to get down to your target weight (as per the chart), of course you're going to look "sick"...because your skeleton was meant to hold a much larger body mass. Especially if you're dieting and not exercising and strength training, because a large percentage of the weight you lose is muscle mass. So there are two sides to the coin here.

Having said that, I would not be attracted to someone who was obese...not just because I find it to be sexually unattractive (and I do), but because I am a very active, busy person who moves very quickly (I have two speeds: Hyper and Asleep) and among many other factors am attracted to like-minded people. I would not shudder in revulsion or run the other way if a fat man tried to hit on me, but there would definitely be no attraction there for me and he would be immediately friend-zoned. That's just my personal preference.

edit on 19-4-2014 by tigertatzen because: typos

edit on 19-4-2014 by tigertatzen because: I apparently forgot how to use punctuation

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

originally posted by: DenyFlatulence
a reply to: snarky412

It wasn't intended.
I was just being honest about body image and how it doesn't matter much to me. And what does.

Ah, the way to a ladies heart ( flutters eyes) *sigh*

[I better hush before Sled bonks me or something.....oops]

Oh dear! I feel I'm going to be out-numbered here! (runs into drug store for energy drink) I'm hurrying, Deny. Hang on! Wait for me!

Better watch out for those electrical poles!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

My apologies if this thread offended you. It is intended to address the media who, clearly, puts up a model that "most" people have to starve themselves to achieve.
You are a unique diamond in a field of crystal. Consider yourself as such.

I saw a show once about models. They were scared to death to take more then one little nibble during a meal, for fear of gaining a pound. That's no way to live!

That's what all the fuss is about here. If you are skinny, naturally, then that is "you". And "you" are beautiful.

ETA: My best friend in grammar school was like you. She could eat all day long, fattening stuff, and NEVER gain an ounce! Skinny! She talked all the time about how she wished she could gain weight.
I, on the other hand, have always been one of those people who could look at a piece of cake and gain 5 pounds!
We looked really silly together. She skinny, bony knees, and me... well, we won't go there. LOL

We still keep in touch, even though she moved to a different state over 30 years ago. She was a diamond too. It's all about who we are inside.

edit on 4/19/2014 by sled735 because: add comment

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Be healthy.

Confidence and kindness make you attractive.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Deny! Is that you in your avatar? Did you go change it?

If that's you, I'll have to drop out of the race to win your heart. DRATS!!!
I could be your mother, er, I mean, your big sister, Dear Heart!!

Sigh... if only I was 20-30 years younger. Oh, the pain.... oh, the pain!

(walks off slowly, head down, hand to brow)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

Well.. I read the chart wrong, thanks for pointing that out UM, I feel so much better now.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

HAHAHAHA.. Early 30's doesn't feel too young.. Can't wait for my 40's. Yikes!
I wanted to try and scare off all my potential bidders with my ugly mug.

But seriously I think my good friend Ray Stevens can do a better job expressing the way I feel about this topic.
Take it away RAY!

edit on 19-4-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Early thirties, you say? Hummm.... (scratches head... plotting)

I have a daughter your age, and she is single. Smart as a whip! Funny, good humor, pretty eyes, etc.
How about I introduce you to her?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

Well.. I read the chart wrong, thanks for pointing that out UM, I feel so much better now.

LOL....not me

I am 5'-10" and couldn't tell you what a "stone" is but I am many more of them

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

My apologies if this thread offended you. It is intended to address the media who, clearly, puts up a model that "most" people have to starve themselves to achieve.
You are a unique diamond in a field of crystal. Consider yourself as such.

I saw a show once about models. They were scared to death to take more then one little nibble during a meal, for fear of gaining a pound. That's no way to live!

That's what all the fuss is about here. If you are skinny, naturally, then that is "you". And "you" are beautiful.

No, not at all...in fact my apologies to you for coming across that way. Just throwing it out there that there are some of us who actually are just naturally slender and get unfairly judged as trying to conform to some societal example of what people are supposed to look like. I agree wholeheartedly that the media need to get a grip on reality because what they try to do is hold everyone to the same standard (never mind that most of them actually look hideous themselves) as say, someone like Angelina Jolie who is naturally very thin. It's abhorrent, really because it teaches people to dislike themselves as a person based on a standard that was set by the fashion industry, and it is especially harmful to children because they learn their "worth" as a person is based on appearance and not who they really are as an individual.

For instance, I was absolutely disgusted at the manner in which Kim Kardashian was mocked and ridiculed for gaining weight during her pregnancy...she never looked happy in even one picture because she was ashamed of herself rather than proud of the fact that she was creating a new life inside her womb. That is terrible! They need to take weight charts and obliterate them from the face of the planet, because they are completely inaccurate and outdated.

My sister is 6' tall (we have different dads haha) and her normal weight hovers around 195-205 lbs. She wears a size 8 on her ring finger and a size 11 shoe. It would be ridiculous if she tried to conform to some chart...she would starve to death before she ever made it to her "ideal" weight. Her skeleton is meant for a larger body mass, and she is perfectly ok with that. And she is gorgeous...not only physically but in every way possible.

You didn't offend me at all. I am just a very blunt and plainspoken person and sometimes I come off as being curt when I don't mean to. And thank you for the compliments
I don't know what you look like physically but I'm sure you're gorgeous and I like reading your posts because you are very witty and obviously very intelligent to boot. So no worries
Rock on with your awesome self

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

How about I introduce you to her?

That would make for quite the interesting how we met story, if we hit it off..
Sorry for causing all those bumps on your noggin sled. They will heal up quite nicely after eating some delicious rollerbites, tornados and toquitos..

I want to be like, some sort of junk food elf, and go around feeding gas station junk food to all those poor self-starving models and actresses. Maybe bestow them with a couple scratcherz while I'm at it too.
Please excuse my posts fellow ats'rs. I think I might be drunk on nitrates! Mwuh! Oof.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

TextHAHAHAHA.. Early 30's doesn't feel too young.. Can't wait for my 40's. Yikes!
I wanted to try and scare off all my potential bidders with my ugly mug.

You're just a baby yet...lol I'm turning 43 this year and have a grandson (gulp!) and I don't feel any different than I did in my 20's (well, a bit smarter maybe) so 40's ain't too bad at all.

Thank you for posting the song...it is 100% true and it would be nice if the rest of the planet could figure that out and just let people be who they are, regardless of appearance.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join