It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker agrees: It’s ‘absurd’ we never offered Obamacare alternative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've always expressed the view that the ACA, is a monumental failure of our Representative government.

From Judicial, to Legislative, to Executive.

Every branch failed the People during this process, to solely place blame on the Executive branch is to ignore the responsibilities inherent in the people who work the Checks and Balances in every branch.

Executive, faced with an uncompromising Legislative, forces through something and strong arms the Judicial to get it done.

It seems even a Republican can admit that much.

“I think one of the most unfortunate things my party did the last three years was not offer an alternative to health care,” Ross responded. “I’ve always felt that way. I think it’s absurd when I tell people that this isn’t what you should do, but I don’t have an alternative for you.”

gop-lawmaker-agrees-its-absurd-we-ne ver-offered-obamacare-alternative

Ross continued by explaining that he had proposed a patient healthcare bill that would cover pre-existing conditions, permit the interstate sale of insurance, and allow for health saving accounts saying, “I think these are good ideas, I would support them.”

Ross then admitted, “My party decided to not bring anything up.”

EVERYONE failed US.

Dem, Rep, all failed the people.

ACA is a cluster, that everyone thought it would be, not because of the Executive branch.

Because of the TWO PARTIES, Lobbying, and Partisanship.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The Democrats forced us to jump off a cliff, so it's "absurd" that the Republicans didn't offer us an alternative cliff to jump off of?

Obamacare doubled my premium for worse coverage. We can't get government off of our backs if we continue to let them into our lives a policy at a time. Soon there will be nothing left for us to choose because the government will choose everything for us "for our own good."

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

I don't know why they had to rush it through like they did
And Pelosi's words of, 'We have to pass it to see what's in it' line of BS is now coming back to haunt everyone

What really is starting to piss me off is Obama and his fan club acting like there are no problems what so ever
And anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken

Really and truly, with a population of roughly 315 million people in this country, what have they got to be proud of?
That supposedly, and I reiterate supposedly, nearly 8 million have signed up.....of course that doesn't mean they are all covered
But that is a JOKE!!
That ain't a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people living here
And more than that already had coverage lost their plans and had to get more expensive lesser ones

What a crock of dung!!!!

But you know what.....Had the Republicans put something together, you know damn well the Dems would have blocked it
No way would they have accepted anything from them

edit on 18-4-2014 by snarky412 because: spweeling

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The Democrats forced us to jump off a cliff, so it's "absurd" that the Republicans didn't offer us an alternative cliff to jump off of?

Obamacare doubled my premium for worse coverage. We can't get government off of our backs if we continue to let them into our lives a policy at a time. Soon there will be nothing left for us to choose because the government will choose everything for us "for our own good."

And what of the duty of congress to debate?

Does that not exist anymore?

OR that of the Judicial to not cow tow to the executive on issues?

To place blame on one branch is to buy into the theater of the Two party divide.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

What really is starting to piss me off is Obama and his fan club acting like there is no problems what so ever
And anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken

There is the flip to that coin, The right that thought there was nothing wrong with families losing coverage, and their lives when the Insurance company decided to drop them due to cost.

Its the same MY team YOUR team blindness.

The health system in america was a problem BEFORE ACA, now it seems ready to slam head long into a wall.

Its insanity that our government failed us on every single level.

Yet No one admits the problem, and blames the other team...

What the hell ever happened to voting POLICY, not PARTY.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

And what of the duty of congress to debate?

Does that not exist anymore?

OR that of the Judicial to not cow tow to the executive on issues?

To place blame on one branch is to buy into the theater of the Two party divide.

I'm glad you brought that up because if you will remember, there WAS NO DEBATE!! The Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and rammed through Obamacare WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING the GOP. They didn't even include them in their "deliberations," where they "debated" among themselves.

You can't have a debate if you don't let the other side speak, precisely what the Democrats did. And THAT, along with a sufficient number of Presidential lies (If you like your plan, you can keep it!) is what allowed Obamacare to pass.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I'm glad you brought that up because if you will remember, there WAS NO DEBATE!! The Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and rammed through Obamacare WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING the GOP. They didn't even include them in their "deliberations," where they "debated" among themselves.

You can't have a debate if you don't let the other side speak, precisely what the Democrats did. And THAT, along with a sufficient number of Presidential lies (If you like your plan, you can keep it!) is what allowed Obamacare to pass.

If I recall the REPS refused to come to the table... I guess being a fan of a team comes with a bias.

Me, I think we need to drum both Parties out of office, but thats another thread...

Republican Senator Ross seems to Disagree with that.

“I wish we had an alternative. It would make — you know what’s unfortunate? for the next six months, we’re going to go into an election knowing that we’re not going to do anything to address health care. Because we’ve gone so far in the last three years saying no, that we don’t have an alternative to say yes to, ” he said, adding, “I think the American public, when they go to vote, are going to look at credibility before they look at substance, and I think that’s going to have a play in it.”

At some point, Compromise needs to happen, it is the purpose of debate in congress, NEITHER party wanted to give.

You can spin that either way, but we can extrapolate that to other legislative issues and the argument still stands.

Budget?

Whats the status on that.

WE have representatives that refuse to do the business of government.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Jumping off a cliff implies that you were in good shape before jumping. I don't think anybody could say that our healthcare was in decent shape before Obamacare.

No. They forced you to jump off a sinking ship. Obamacare is like jumping into an ocean where there is a decent potential for sharks but the GOP insisted on sinking with the ship. The lawmaker in the OP is saying that we should have at least looked for better water to jump in instead of telling people to stay on the ship.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
The lawmaker in the OP is saying that we should have at least looked for better water to jump in instead of telling people to stay on the ship.

Which is the entire purpose of the Checks and Balances.

Open discourses is the fuel of a free society, when they refuse to debate because they have been either bought by lobby, or SO tied to their team, that the people end up suffering.

We have to kick them all out, The Incumbents in office, have been given far to much opportunity, they stand on party platforms that set policy.

This is the end result.

Its not working, we need new representation.

I can't see ANY of the two Parties getting us to a better place.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Oh I agree.....[Its the same MY team YOUR team blindness]

And everything should be based on policies, not party lines
Sadly, that's where our country loses

It helps to be an Independent
Both sides irritates the hell out of me

No longer is it about 'The People'
It's about their pet projects/agendas.........Dems/Rep alike

Then they both play the blame game, pointing fingers....*shakes head*

What they really, really, REALLY need to do is set term limits!!!!!!!!!
2 maybe 3 terms top....do away with these career politicians

edit on 18-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

If I recall the REPS refused to come to the table... I guess being a fan of a team comes with a bias.

Is that right? Some people remember it differently:

House Democrats Take Health Care Debate Behind Closed Doors
Take One Step Closer to Going-It-Alone Through Reconciliation

Washington, Oct 15, 2009
Washington, DC – Ways and Means Democrats today shut down the committee process, blocking Republicans from offering amendments to H.R. 3200, the House Democrats' health care legislation. In doing so, Democrats rammed through a letter to the Budget Committee that paves the way for health care to be considered under reconciliation – which requires only 51 votes for passage in the Senate as opposed to the normal 60 votes.

Source

And what about that plan I liked that I could keep?
And what about every family saving $2K?

Those "talking points" (which were lies) were designed specifically to garner public support for the bill. And why not? If I could keep my health care plan, and if it saved a normal family a few bucks, why not pass it? That sounded reasonable to me.

But as it turns out, it was all a lie. I couldn't keep my plan because it "didn't meet requirements" and DOUBLED as a result for LESS coverage (a greater deductible), and it certainly did not save me any money. I could have lived with not saving money on the deal, frankly, but instead the premium doubled and I definitely could NOT keep my plan.

We've been marched off a cliff, and the idea that the GOP did not provide an alternative cliff is "absurd" is what is absurd.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

It's hard to come to a table that is behind closed doors and no one is letting you in.

Did you forget that the so-called negotiations on the bill were all behind closed doors with no Reps admitted?

And there were several alternative proposals to Obamcare, but no one bothered to talk about or publicize them because they weren't cool. They included things like tort reform, insurance portability so your policy could go with you where you went, expansion and strengthening of HSAs along with catastrophic plans (something we were beginning to look at as an option), changes to Medicaid and Medicare including vouchers to allow for the purchase of insurance to cover gaps.

They were all out there, but none of them were going to get us closer to the Democrat Holy Grail, so none of them were allowed anywhere near the negotiating table.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Yeah, they could have worked out a better minimum plan if they all worked together. I can't see some of the things in Obamacare being there. Maybe if the Republicans would have actually forced compromise, they could have got rid of those things. The mental health part of Obamacare is going to be abused by the medical industry, I can see that coming.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Oh Republicans/conservatives had alternative solutions... well not solutions.. rather that we should give the insurance companies what they want and pray that they'll be nice enough to lower their costs (or atleast stop their decade long premium increases) as the result.

That is, allow insurance companies to sell across state lines (which essentially tramples on the constitutional full faith and credit clause as this would allow insurers to ignore other state laws and regulations and abide by only one state i.e corporate friendly Delaware)

Oh yea tax credits for families, which isn't really a long term solution. Rather a short term one that does nothing to stop the hiking premium increases imposed by health corporations, in fact knowing this, it might make it worse. It does nothing to address the exclusions on all these pre-existing conditions either.

Ah here's my favorite republican solution. Eat right! don't get diabetes and don't allow yourself to get pre-existing conditions and you'll be fine. What a lovely alternative republicans came up with there! really!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
What is 'absurd' is the ACA was created in the first place.

Sold by lies,defended by lies.

Because that is what medicare, and medicaid was created for.

For close to 50 years people are saying there was 'uninsured' ?

That is BS.

Between the the Emergency Medical Treatment Act : en.wikipedia.org... and both of those programs.

Americans were stupid enough to buy in to that crap.

Both of those programs insure over 100 million Americans. Which is more than most EU countries entire populations, and is more than any single private insurer in this country.

What is absurd is those people who defend the ACA, and the rest of those shills of capitol hill taking us for idiots.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Oh Republicans/conservatives had alternative solutions... well not solutions.. rather that we should give the insurance companies what they want and pray that they'll be nice enough to lower their costs (or atleast stop their decade long premium increases) as the result.

That is, allow insurance companies to sell across state lines (which essentially tramples on the constitutional full faith and credit clause as this would allow insurers to ignore other state laws and regulations and abide by only one state i.e corporate friendly Delaware)

Oh yea tax credits for families, which isn't really a long term solution. Rather a short term one that does nothing to stop the hiking premium increases imposed by health corporations, in fact knowing this, it might make it worse. It does nothing to address the exclusions on all these pre-existing conditions either.

Ah here's my favorite republican solution. Eat right! don't get diabetes and don't allow yourself to get pre-existing conditions and you'll be fine. What a lovely alternative republicans came up with there! really!

If they were giving the insurance what they want, why were all the insurance companies on board for Obamacare?

top topics

join