It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groups apeal to SCOTUS for "right to lie" in Political Campaigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This story really caught my attention. Regardless of whether you believe that free speech includes the right to mislead people, I just can't understand what kind of person would openly and consciously publicly protest for the "right" to lie. I'm sure most here will disagree with me, since this is the "right wing conspiracies" site, but to me this is a sign of the degeneration of the American people. Ironically these same people are probably the same ones always talking about the moral decline of America.

seattletimes.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

"If you like your current Health Insurance Plan, You can KEEP IT!"...........

Was that a lie?

Although I do agree, politicians whom are caught not telling the truth, should be immediately dismissed and barred from EVER participating in any form of government whatsoever!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
What you talking about Willis?

We all know that politicians are slimy untrustworthy S.O.B but wanting the 'right' to lie to us now?

Is America actually a democracy any more, because that's how it is in communist nations

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Let me guess

Conservatives are backing this???

I didn't read it, am I right?

Sort of like they have increased the right to buy politicians

Hide who donates what to whom.

Remember folks

money=free speech

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

We all know that politicians are slimy untrustworthy S.O.B but wanting the 'right' to lie to us now?

Is America actually a democracy any more, because that's how it is in communist nations

While it is actually the hyper-capitalists who are seeking it in this instance

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This story really caught my attention. Regardless of whether you believe that free speech includes the right to mislead people, I just can't understand what kind of person would openly and consciously publicly protest for the "right" to lie. I'm sure most here will disagree with me, since this is the "right wing conspiracies" site, but to me this is a sign of the degeneration of the American people. Ironically these same people are probably the same ones always talking about the moral decline of America.

seattletimes.com...

Moral decline to them is when you try to increase wages in America

Moral decline to them is when you try to give people access to doctors

Moral decline is when you speak up about sending American troops to the wrong country

Conservatives, building an oligarchy since 1980

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: spurgeonatorsrevenge
Let me guess

Conservatives are backing this???

I didn't read it, am I right?

Sort of like they have increased the right to buy politicians

Hide who donates what to whom.

Remember folks

money=free speech

Here you are pissed off about money=free speech while defending the current administration that is in charge!!!

Is it just me, or is something not quite right here?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to: spurgeonatorsrevenge

Capitalism running unchecked is every bit s bad as communism in reality. Greed replaces being forced to live 'as one' and 'for the collective' while both stifle freedom in order to keep the elites at the to of the pyramid in power.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

So this case is in the SCOTUS and is about something in Ohio right?

Who originally made the law in Ohio?

Does any other states have this kind of law?

I'll hold my tongue until I know what this is.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

seattletimes.com...

Moral decline is when you speak up about sending American troops to the wrong country

There is that 'right' to lie.

Grade A prime example.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

It's just the hypercapitalists turn, they do take turns with bad ideas, both dem and reps LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

It's just the hypercapitalists turn, they do take turns with bad ideas, both dem and reps LOL.

Cheers - Dave

Amen Dave

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

seattletimes.com...

There is that 'right' to lie.

Grade A prime example.

Are you talking about the quote on the bottom of your profile????

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It's an anti-abortion group, The Susan B. Anthony List (was Susan B. Anthony anti-abortion?) who obviously thinks that campaigns need more lying. There wasn't enough money, so the conservatively stacked SCOTUS fixed that with Citizens United vs FEC so that we could get some more money going into these political campaigns. Now there's not enough lying! Maybe SCOTUS can fix that too and then we can get a few thousand more PACs springing up the next day to take all that money and put it to better brainwashing use!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: spurgeonatorsrevenge

Nope I am talking about these comments:

Moral decline to them is when you try to increase wages in America - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to quote ANYONE saying that.

Moral decline to them is when you try to give people access to doctors - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since by LAW anyone needing medical treatment gets medical treatment

en.wikipedia.org...

Moral decline is when you speak up about sending American troops to the wrong country - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like when the current potus invaded Pakistan to 'kill' Bin Laden ?

Like when the current potus invaded Libya ?

Like when the current potus surged troops in Afghanistan ?

Like when the current potus armed mexican drug cartels ?

Like when the current potus was arming Al Aqeda in Syria ?

'Conservatives' didn't do that.

And the quote in my signature is from the Declaration of Independence.

Fail to see what a lie about it.
edit on 18-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I guess, sense anyone with an opposing point of view against some political agenda is considered a "domestic terrorist", why not just do whatever you want to do? Seems like most people I know have a felony or at least a rap sheet, so why not just join in with the "wise guys" and "good fellas" and give in totally to corruption and lawlessness? Lies, bribes, kickbacks, extortion, threats, use of deadly force, it's all OK for the government at every level, so just give in finally and join in the orgy of corruption.

It's all good to reject God and morality, evil is the new good, crime is the SOP, give in and worship money. "Greed is good", so go ahead and be a normal 21 century human. Remember, it isn't a crime unless you get caught and don't have the money to buy your way out of it.

Human beings are so smart, just look at what man has made. Certainly we are better than some God or Christ fairy tale and our carnal desires are the highest goal we have before we die and wink out of existence. So go out and get your sick groove on, as long as you have the money to get away with it.

edit on 19-4-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typos

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
haha, this isn't a right left issue ...
its a right wrong issue

U.S. Quietly Repeals Propaganda Ban, Spreads Government-Made News to America
July 15, 2013,
WASHINGTON — For decades, a so-called anti-propaganda law prevented the U.S. government’s mammoth broadcasting arm from delivering programming to American audiences. But this month, that came silently to an end with the implementation of a reform passed in January. The result: an unleashing of thousands of hours per week of government-funded radio and TV programs for domestic U.S. consumption in a reform initially criticized as a green light for U.S. domestic propaganda efforts. So what just happened?...
bangordailynews.com...

For any normal person, lying to the people who sign your pay checks is fraud...this party has to stop somewhere
edit on Satam4b20144America/Chicago17 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Satam4b20144America/Chicago15 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Kinda reminds me of when Fox News fought for and won the right to lie and/or falsify the news in the United States.

www.relfe.com...

F&S for the Op!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Its hard to see how this case represents a solid example of the issue. A candidate shouldn't be accused of something that is false but this issue looks more like a matter of debate rather than a lie.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I like threads that begin with a summary of the news item to be discussed. More detail of the facts in the opening.? What I'm gathering from the opener is right-wing vs. left-wing... and we are either with one of of em or join em! I prefer more "news" before the mud-slinging commences.

Edit to add: this reminds me of the AM Radio rule to give equal time to sides, which was done away with in the 80s(?) late 80s early 90s(?) thus the rise of Rush, et. Al. (there's so many of them)
edit on 19-4-2014 by kkrattiger because: Addl paragrapg

edit on 19-4-2014 by kkrattiger because: 2nd paragraph

top topics

join