It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Login Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have reported Login problems in the past similar to other members; however, have discovered this mystery.
I have no problems logging in using Internet Explorer V5.0 (which is an old, old version). However if Netscape 4.73 or Netscape 6.1 are used, I cannot login. (For certain situations I prefer to use Netscape 4.X because of the way it handles cacheing.) I played around with different setting options but nothing seems to work. Any Netscape users have any ideas?

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Overall, the XMB code favors Internet Explorer. I've been trying to optimize things, but it's tough.

The good news is, I haven't encountered any log-in or functionality problems on current versions of Netscrape, Explorer, Opera, or Safari for the Mac.

Check to make sure Netscrape is accepting cookies. See if you have the same problem at www.xmbforum.com... if you do, at least I know where to look... if you don't, then um... well... at least I'll know.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I configure my Netscape 4.7 to "Allow all Cookies" (normally it is set to "Only Accept Cookies that get sent back to Sender). I also set my Netscale 4.7 to "Enable Java Script" (normally I do NOT "Enable Java Script"). Both Netscape 4.7 and Internet Explorer 5.0 and set to "warn me before accepting a cookie". Both browsers are running side by side in the XMB forums (where I have registered as "jagdflieger", of course). When I go to the Login Page at XMB using Internet Explorer, I get two warnings of a cookie being sent (xmbusers and xmbpw). However when I go to the Login Page at XMB using Netscape 4.7, I get no warnings of any cookies. It appears that Netscape is not recognizing the cookies be sent as being cookies (there is no warning that a cookie is being sent). I will continue with some more tests - but my initial tests seem to indicate that Login problems with XMB type forums may be caused by the Browser software not being able to recognize a cookie when it is being sent.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This issue of some browsers not accepting the XMB cookies has been an issue.

Part of the problem is deep within PHP which has no built-in capability for server-side session state management (like Cold Fusion and ASP has) that would recognize registered users by one server-written cookie.

While this is a known problem, it's more evidence of reasons to avoid using Netscape since the Mozilla core hasn't allowed for this lack of session management in PHP.

top topics

join