It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covers......better or worse than the originals?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Logos23

I'm saying that The Cure make me feel a bit queasy, but Dinosaur Jr like, rule and stuff!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Guns n Roses fan here. I like both versions of knocking on heavens door(Bob Dylan)

a cover of sweet child o mine. Sheryl crows version is missing the guitar so I don't like it so much.

Anthrax covering Rush's song Anthem is really good. I go with the original because hey it is Rush.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

I don't know about that. Try comparing Dolly Parton's version of "I Will Always Love You" to the Whitney Houston cover for example or maybe Hendrix's version "All Along the Watchtower" to the Bob Dylan original.

And the first pair I listed, Garth Brooks' cover of Joel's "Shameless"? Most people are going to argue that the Brooks version is superior although I prefer the Joel version.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla
My opinion has nothing to do with being a huge fan of The Cure for the past 25 years....honest!

a reply to: AfterInfinity

I think that a lot of times that a well known song that we view as the original can sometimes turn out to be a cover itself without us even realising it.

For instance, a lot of people may not realize that these were actually covers.

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

Blondie- The Tide is High

Elvis Presley - Hound Dog

Aretha Franklin - RESPECT

Sinead O'Conner- Nothing Compares 2U

And many many more like them.

I know I have been caught out quite a few times presuming that a well known version of a song is the original when infact it isn't!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: celticdog

So, as you say you are a Guns N' Roses fan, which version of "Sympathy for the Devil" do you like - The Rolling Stones version or the Guns N' Roses cover?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: crzayfool

I like both versions of Tainted love that you posted.....but the original was by Gloria Jones in the 60's and not by Soft Cell!

I think that's the point I was trying to make with my earlier post....it can be an absolute minefield when you start talking about covers. Even very well known songs that are widely accepted as the original can surprisingly turn out to be covers themselves!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Ah, no! I like all three.

... because we do have a very, very odd playlist.

edit on 17-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I like the original as well...but I have to confess I didn't realize that another version other than Soft Cell was the original until fairly recently!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
ATS has changed...woah...

Sorry, got distracted there, lol.

I usually do not like cover songs, but if there is 1 cover song i have to choose, and legitimately believe is better than the original, is the Violent Femmes cover of Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy'.

Gnarls Barkley:

Violent Femmes:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

As an enormous fan of linkin park, that song would have sounded better with the rest of the instrumentals. The song sounded a little naked without them. His voice is amazing, but it was still kinda two dimensional for my taste.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Love it when the kid goes yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here's one cover that actually irritates me...

Every time I hear it I get angry with that dude for singing through a good dance song.

But this version is also a cover of an 80's song by Brenda Russell

Peace
edit on 17-4-2014 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Wow! Excellent examples, guys........with covers I didn't even know there were covers, like Last Kiss! Thank you!

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
a reply to: Agartha

I don't much prefer covers. More often than not, they come across the same way artificial sweeteners do: close enough to make you want the real thing, but too far off to give it to you.

I understand what you mean but 6 out of 10 I usually like the cover better.....and I couldn't explain why, probably just personal taste.......but not all, I'll show here in a minute.

Live and let die, LOVE this version by the Guns.

The original....good but not as powerful as the Guns' version....it's missing the magic of Slash!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
In this case I love the original but don't really like the cover.

Original:

Cover...I think they have butchered the song!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Here is the first of my fav's - another Placebo effort, covering the Pixies' monumental track "Where's my mind"

Next we have the Fray covering Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" courtesy of Radio 1's LiveLounge

God i love a good cover song

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
kina grannis does a breathtaking cover of this song. First cover that came to my mind when I saw this thread!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think My Morning Jackets cover of Rocket Man trumps Elton John, which is saying a lot, because I love Elton. I am having a hard time figuring out how to post videos, but it is a beautiful version of the song if anyone would like to seek it out

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Any Way You Want It

Not much to choose between, but I think KISS' version just sneaks it for me.

The Ramones did a version but it sucks.

Journey also did Any Way You Want It, but it's a completely different song; just happens to share the same title.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I do agree

One of my favorite covers is "lay lady lay" by Ministry, I prefer it over Bob Dylan's version

I also love Mansons version of "Down in the Park", though I dont actually agree it is better than Newmans I think it is a tie, love both versions each has a very different feel.

edit on 18-4-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I like the stones version better ,I prefer Mick's singing for this song. Slash"s guitar solo is better though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join