It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Monkey Planet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Has anybody else been watching this program. It's been pretty fascinating and really shows the connections between primates and the similarities we share. Last night they had a Bonobo ape called Kanzi, who was capable of performing all sorts of tasks. Last night showed him breaking up twigs, and using a match to set up a little camp fire, where he proceeded to roast his own marshmallows on a stick.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You do realize that is telling people (programming) they are nothing more than evolved apes right?
Think Rise of Planet of the Apes lol

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

This is the UK where most of the population accept that we evolved from a common primate (ape) ancestor. Evolution is taught in the science classes with no caveats and no floor-space allotted to Creationism or ID.

@ Woodward - nice one, I'll catch it on the iPlayer. The Kanzi stories are always thought-provoking and the show will likely be covering chimp sign language with Washoe et al

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

G0v0D47
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You do realize that is telling people (programming) they are nothing more than evolved apes right?

As opposed to?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Definitely worth watching. The guy who presents it is really good too. I'm not to sure how confident I'd be around some of the monkeys he studies. Some are some pretty scary beasts. Bonobos seem pretty cool though. They help establish group harmony by having lots of sex. I imagine this must cause all sorts of problems keeping them confined with only human contact.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Dp
edit on 17-4-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Great show even though I noticed when the Chimps were hunting monkeys they used footage from Natural world and the Chimps were in fact attacking other chimps.
Great show again

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
reply to post by Kandinsky

Definitely worth watching. The guy who presents it is really good too. I'm not to sure how confident I'd be around some of the monkeys he studies. Some are some pretty scary beasts. Bonobos seem pretty cool though. They help establish group harmony by having lots of sex. I imagine this must cause all sorts of problems keeping them confined with only human contact.

Thing is that you have to realize is that what a lot of people think of as hippy free love is really deadly earnest dominance and hierarchy behavior for them. Imagine having to put out or perform in order to maintain your position in society instead just because you want to and with whom you want to and when; there's order to it - that's bonobo society for you.
edit on 17-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join