It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Marines Get Big Bucks to Re-Enlist

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

I think there is enough evidence to conclude that re-enlistment bonuses are not a new concept. Makes for a good rant, though I guess. People in most occupations recieve bonuses and longevity raises. Why should the military be any different.

Montana the thing is that you will always get people that will disagree with what you said and will yell that the U.S. is already becoming a dictatorship...They will point to some events that are happening now and say that is the proof, yet they keep ignoring that these events have happened before and these people are still here bashing away at everything that has to do with the U.S. despite them saying "we are in a dictatorship" and despite having been preaching the same thing for years probably....

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Perhaps the point is being missed.

I am not saying this has not been done, nor am I saying that they should not do it. I wish they could pay them more and give even a larger bonus.

The report I posted stated that last year the top bonus given to re-enlist was $7,000

And now it is $30,000

Why so much more this year than last.

I did not mean to strike a debate about the money, It was meant to have more meaning.

I guess some people can't see it.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The Army had up to a $20,000 sign on bonus even before we went into Iraq, I dont think it was tax free though.

Thats still chump change compared to what you can make by joining a PMC for a tour in Iraq. I have seen some that offer $200,000 cash in a suit case after your done.

Granted it can even be more dangerous then signing up for the Army or Marines because you dont have the type of backup they do. But thats why they make the big bucks and often fill their ranks with ex-military and ex-special forces.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Um_Gazz

I saw what you were saying, just got side tracked....

The military changes the amount of the bonus for each MOS according to what they need to retain. Obviously the need for this particular one is greater now than before. I would think the desire to retain combat troops- especially experienced ones- would be a pretty high priority right now.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Why so much more this year than last.

The reason is simple and more than one person has alluded to the answer which is supply and demand. Combat veterans are not a dime a dozen the way they were in past wars and because of this fact they can command impressive bonuses.

No small problem in Vietnam was the rotation system, which while well intentioned, kept a constant flow of "new guys" working with experienced short-timers, who were especially keen on the idea of getting home in one piece. If you were a "new guy," you were grossly unpopular because a "rookie mistake" in Vietnam could cost a unit a lot more than a five-yard penalty.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Who cares, I mean, a second string QB in the NFL makes 3 million a year.. a year people.

and people, please, for once, keep BUsh out of a thread about the war?

Enlistment bonuses are nothing new, and it is for specific positions that need to be filled. IN 1989, you could get a 5,000 bonus to be a forward observer, but nothing to be an MP. They needed people to fill particular jobs so they offer a little cash.

I also saw noted that private contractors are making a killing over there, but they are also losing there heads....

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Maybe if mil personnel was paid more, they wouldn't need such high bonuses.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
why work for the marines, even with a 30k bonus?
join kbr and get 10k /month!

Both claim to be defending their country, both are run by dick cheney, both are filled with ex-military ...so you might as well get rid of that credit card debt at the same time.

<< 1   >>

join