It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those working are almost outnumbered 2 to 1 by those getting some kind of Federal Benefits

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Oil subsudies and Bank bailouts; all paid for by your taxes. War profiteers also get subsidies like Halliburton.

www.americanprogress.org...

www.cps-news.com...

Corporate welfare is totally ignored by conservatives! Let's blame the poor; While the corps reap record profits. What hypocrisy!!

I guess I shouldn't be to surprised coming from people that get their information from Fox and Rush.

Come on people....Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense!
edit on 16-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

killjoy99
reply to post by matafuchs

And on a personal note.. i know people who directly rip off the system.. get VA benefits, get WIC, housing assitance, etc and believe that this is better than work.. I have been called a fool by these people because I believe in pride, hard work, dedication, etc.. they called me a fool because I'm a wage slave and they are "doing things there way in life".

VA? that doesn't stand for Virginia does it? Because I frickin' KNOW
you aren't talking about Veterans Disability Compensation.

Us that TRULY have PRIDE, DEDICATION, HARD WORK got those VA benefits FAIR and SQUARE, although they amount to not near as much as we DESERVE

You really better CHECK YOURSELF before lumping us injured veterans in the rip off category with the crackhead baby factories that roll around in donks!

Oh, my VA disability benefits allow my family to EAT VERY WELL on our EBT CARD too
I risked my life, saved others, and got career ending injuries to show for it. Had I not been injured, I would be a firefighter making $100k plus a year. so, I am grateful to have my VA check, but it should be what I would make as a FF, QUADRUPLE what I get from the VA.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Calm down Henry. I too, know vets that aren't upstanding. I've even tried calling them out. But since I am not a Doctor or administrator, I have always been told there is nothing I can do about it. There are bad apples everywhere.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
holy crap! A sincere apology on ATS! I have to mark this day on my calendar. Kudos to you..

It pretty much happens everyday.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

This is such crap. I applied and got mine in 2013 (began working in 1968). All my peers got theirs.

The ones who lost a lot of retirement in their 401k in the 08crash were real happy to get theirs but stil have to work part time.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You have to look at it another way.

The government drastically cuts WIC, EBT, and all other means of support. In turn the Kraft company sales drop at an all time low. The Kraft company is forced to lay off thousands of employees because people cannot buy the amount of macaroni and cheese they need to support their family(it can be questionable about mac n cheese and survival, but this is for example). Truck drivers that deliver the mac n cheese are also laid off due to the amount of goods that no longer needs to be shipped. The truck stops lay off employees because the flow of semi's has declined. Then all of these workers are going to the unemployment and aid offices to register for benefits, which if reduced won't be much.

Now take this and multiply it by a hundrrd fold because of all of the goods and services that will no longer be purchased because of massive lay offs.

People need to face the facts that our economy is propped up by benefits. Without them the whole system collapses. Millions of people will take to the streets and loot and riot because their needs are no longer being met in "the land of oppertunity".

Our system is dependant on these services.

It is a fact of life in this current debacle.

What we need is job growth through good policies enacted from our "leaders". All we are getting is ignorant job killing policies and bickering about crap that doesn't matter.

Quality jobs is the only answer out of this mess.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

minusinfinity
reply to post by matafuchs

A solution?

Not sure but what would help is to stop paying people to have children.

Every time I enter a grocery store I see at least one pregnant person using welfare who has a child in a stroller. If you can't afford one child then why get pregnant?

My opinion is mine. If you don't like it then too bad.

Because those are the exact people that benefit from welfare. They are not like you and me. I often ask myself the same question...........even a dirt poor cow farmer in Africa must realize that if he keeps giving birth to more kids that he can't feed they are going to die. I see it A LOT among hispanics in CA. Everyday I drive by the bus stations and see moms with strollers with an infant with a couple other toddlers in the middle of the day. Dad if he's around is probably working some menial job making peanuts. But hey they are catholic so they believe in big families and no birth control right? Pisses me off as a law abiding tax paying responsible American with my own progeny to take care of. You know what us gringos would get as far as welfare down in good ol Mehico? Zip, zilch, zero!!!!!!!!!! Give us your tired your poor? Sorry America is closed! Go home!!!!! GTFO!~

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
But I will say the "welfare" we as a country dole out to corporate America, banks, WallStreet PALES in comparison to social welfare. In all honesty if I have a gun to my head in the form of taxes I'd probably rather be forced to support that Mexican mom with kids she can't support than some hot shot 25 year old Wallstreet hedgefunder that snorts a line of coke every night while pissing away other people's money.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenMtnBoys

I don't understand what you people are talking about - Yellin just said that the american economy is on the upswing and that we will have full employment by the year 2016/sarcasm.

I would like to add that only liberals/democrats count social security and veterans benefits as welfare - it's not welfare - we paid into it, and vets signed an agreement for their benefits (they gave their literal life away to the gov't).

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Viesczy
Gotta love class warfare at its finest.

Focus on the poor while the real villains and bandits make out like the bandits they are:

www.alternet.org...

Yep, it is the poor and the poorly educated that are scamming the system, all those minorities.

Derek
edit on 16-4-2014 by Viesczy because: (no reason given)
I concur. Corporations that rake in BILLIONS every year, receive more welfare than anyone. They just call it subsidies. Sure, the system gets abused, but we all know damn well it's not the majority. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, poor people are not the problem. And for everyone bitching and moaning about your tax dollars going towards welfare, you have a lot to learn. Better do some research and find out where your money is really going. Black ops budgets and foreign aid come to mind, and that's just a drop in the bucket. Wanna be pissed off about your tax dollars being wasted? Tell ya where to start. Start with the assholes in d.c. that don't do anything AT ALL to deserve 6 figure incomes, drivers, lavish events, dinners, trips, high priced hookers, etc. And it's all on YOUR dime, and get this, they get paid and don't PRODUCE a mfkn thing! Now that's what I call welfare. Get pissed about that. Star for you, V.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I'm with you Brother, I really am. However even I have to admit there are Vets that "game the system".

I left the Army two years ago and a WTU (Warrior Transition Unit) was my last assignment. We had soldiers from all over in that company. Guys/girls who will never walk/talk/function the same again due to injury and those that can't sleep because an IED went off 14 vehicles in front of them. We had one girl that developed IBS (spastic colon) symptoms on deployment, because she was "down range" it was considered a combat related illness.

People go into their final VA physical with different mindsets. I lied about what was wrong with me (didn't mention the vision loss, memory lapses, fainting spells, shakes, loss of entire limb control at times) I lied about my pain levels (took extra pain meds before the appt), I lied about everything (from how much I could carry to how far I could walk to how often I fall down). It was a desperate attempt on my part to get them to change their minds and let me stay in. It didn't work.

Others lie in the opposite direction. Suddenly they are half crippled for the hour they are with the docs. Perfectly fine before and after though. It's all about that rating for them.

People getting out (especially those under 20 years) are desperate to make that 30% minimum rating. That's their grail.

Do many Vets get screwed over by the system? Yes, without a doubt. But I would say at least 20% of the vets are screwing the system right back in some way. Can I prove that? No, it's just my opinion and we all know about those

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I think that there is one flaw with these numbers.

A family of three can qualify for WIC with an income less than $36,131/yr.
That same family can get Food Stamps if there income is less than $2,116/mo.

For all we know these households could have both parents working full time at minimum wage jobs!!
Many are both working families and recipients!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Yeah seriously, how dare he judge an entire group by the actions of a few!

Oh wait a minute. Is that not the same thing you do to the police on a regular basis.

Not too fun and is kind of offensive when it is directed towards you, huh?

To stay on topic. Waste, abuse and fraud occurs in EVERY circle. It doesn't matter what race, religon or job title one holds. We are all human.

Oh the irony.

edit on 17-4-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

TorqueyThePig

Yeah seriously, how dare he judge an entire group by the actions of a few!

Oh wait a minute. Is that not the same thing you do to the police on a regular basis.

Not too fun and is kind of offensive when it is directed towards you, huh?

touche' mate. I will take that lump. Personally I feel there are things required and expected for police to carry out that on face value are against the spirit of the constitution. And perhaps hard words will cause an internal re-assessment of some of the duties carried out. Not to derail.

But, I firmly believe and have personally seen where the police are used as a tool of oppression. Namely regarding the OP, the people would not be in such dire straits with so many unemployed if the police had refused to follow orders to quell the RIGHTFUL and JUSTIFIED PROTESTS the people have attempted to use to right the ship.
Case in Point. When people protest there are "free speech zones" That ALONE would be MORE than enough to turn in your badge.

Or, when people are on strike (which is how the labor movement WON the dignity of decent pay and work conditions) it was mainly the POLICE who were ordered to battle them. EVEN TODAY police "follow orders" to squash protests. that too alone is enough that a person with complete integrity would turn in their badge.

If I worked in ANY area that had a " free speech zone" I would attempt to arrest EVERYONE enforcing it, and definately handcuff the police chief for being SUCH A TRAITOR to endorse it.

This is PRIMARILY why I firmly believe the police are mostly to blame for why we are at the place where working are outnumbered by the dole takers, Had the police had the HONOR to the SPIRIT of the constitution, they would NOT have been thwarting protests over the last decade, they would be LEADING the protestors.

THAT ALONE would of ENDED the TYRANNY of Poverty, Offshoring of Jobs, Strike Busting, etc.. ---> long AGO

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Then I guess we could also venture to say the military shares some responsibility in how things are today.

Maybe if the military wasn't wasting money unecessarily invading and occupying other countries, things would not be as bad as they are today.

Being former military you share in that responsibility too, correct?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ok lets cut 150,000,000 people off government tit and give them all jobs. What rabbit hole are we going to pull 150,000,000 jobs from?

Why has welfare become such hot subject the last few years? Why wasn't it such and issue before now? Maybe because there were jobs.

Back in the early 2000's gas was under $2 a gallon gold was less then $300 an oz and there were plenty entry level positions that paid a decent wage. What the hell happen?

I witnessed entire industrial complexes disappear over night at the same time everything else skyrocketed in price. There are hundreds of empty factories in my area with for sale signs out front.

People want to piss and moan about people collecting welfare from the government. The government are the ones that F-ed things up in the first place.

If your making enough to cry about taxes your better off then 150,000,000 other people.
edit on 17-4-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Do these statistics account for the working poor?
There are many people on government assistance programs, such as food stamps, that work full time.
workingpoorfamilies.org

edit on 17-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: added link

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Seems there are 2 or 3 posts I read already which would have said what I was going to say. Perhaps they should re-phrase that so it says "for every person that's working and getting benefits, there's likely somebody not working and getting the same."

If you're working and making less than $27,000 while single, you might be surprised what you're elgible for. (Even I applied for Medicaid, since "affordable" health insurance isn't.) I suppose it's a symptom of a government blindly promoting job growth while paying no attention to what those jobs are paying. As long as they keep doing that type of corporate welfare, it's going to keep creating this snowballing debt monster.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How do we fix the country? Easy bring back our manufacturing companies and slowly start decreasing the amount of welfare people can receive. How do we bring manufacturers back? start putting tariffs on products that are made overseas use that money to fund the government so we can lower taxes on companies and citizens. Stop all these stupid loopholes companies get to use to get out of paying taxes. Put term limits on all elected government officials no one should have permanent office even the supreme court, also government officials salary should be set to poverty level wages the benefit to being in government shouldn't be wages, you get to put you were a Governor on your resume when your term is up that should be enough.

I agree this country is heading for some really hard times, if it doesn't change soon which it wont there are going to be a lot of dead and starving people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join