It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those working are almost outnumbered 2 to 1 by those getting some kind of Federal Benefits

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Good article.

Link

First, this is not about bashing those who need benefits. Veterans. Social Security recipients, etc. It is about how the United States can no longer carry the load of the many on the backs of the few.

86,429,000. This is how many people got up and worked each day and the previous year in 2012. This does not include the 12,000,000 State government employees or the more than 4,000,000 that worked for the government. Government folks are paid by our taxes also.

Now, lets look at the benefits recipients and compare. IN the last quarter of 2011, 82 million households relied on Medicaid. (remember Obamacare now) 50 million got fWIC with 23 million where one or more got WIC in a household. 20,000,000 lived in a house hold with SSI(disability) and over 13,000,000 lived in government subsidized housing.

Of course, I am sure that there are those who are getting more than one benefit but to cut down the numbers is to not show the issue.

In total, include both the welfare recipients and the non-welfare beneficiaries and there were 151,014,000 who "received benefits from one or more programs" in the fourth quarter of 2011. Take away the 3,212,000 veterans, who served their country in the most profound way possible, and that leaves 147,802,000 non-veteran benefit takers.

This is almost a 2 to 1 ratio. As the article says, as more retire and as the government 'tells' more to rely on support we are heading for collapse in a very strong way.

Jobs are needed and with over 400 tax additions in the last 6 years the burden needs to be lifted. What are the solutions that can be presented without simply blaming the past and present leaders of our country.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Well if I could manage to find a job...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You have to commend who ever it was that figured out how to exploit human nature and bring the world to this, but more so you have to wonder what kind of insanity thought this was the right thing to do.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Sounds like they are running out of votes to buy...

No wonder the new strong arm of the government, the IRS, is trying to come up with clever new ways to pry more dollars out of those who support them.

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

A solution?

Not sure but what would help is to stop paying people to have children.

Every time I enter a grocery store I see at least one pregnant person using welfare who has a child in a stroller. If you can't afford one child then why get pregnant?

My opinion is mine. If you don't like it then too bad.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

As you waste time on ATS.....lol. (rolling my eyes.)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by minusinfinity

I've adopted your opinion, Minusinfinity. The way it's set up now, the more babies you have, the more money you get. They need to restructure the whole welfare system, to it being less money for more babies.

In our society today. Some women and very young girls, see having babies as a wage paying job.

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks Destiny.

I try not to judge but at times it's obvious people are abusing the system.

There is no problem with helping someone who has fallen on bad times, it happens. Abuse is abuse.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

I could be wrong but I think the days of hitting the bricks and filling out applications is pretty much in the past. I think most places hire online or through temp agencies. So in theory sitting in front of the computer could be looking for a job.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

There are too many taking advantage of the system.
Quick Example: At the market down the street from me, I would see a lady from time to time. This lady used her Bridge Card to buy groceries, ect. from the market.
Only problem was the HUGE diamond ring on her finger(and her Escalade in the parking lot) . One of the biggest rocks I have ever seen. No, not a cubic zirconium, this baby is BIG and Bright.
It absolutely blows my mind. At the same time though, with how much our gov't wastes, I have half a mind to say, "good for you, get some money back from those basterds" it's still wrong though

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

the illegal immigrants our so gooood for our country, Lets study what percent of Immigrants receive some sort of AID?

I guarantee,, DOUBLE DOWN GUARANTEE, that is the highest percentage category of ANY group.

You know for a FACT, that every anchor baby is feeding a family of illegals,
AND EVERY REFUGEE,
close to EVERY single immigrant from the M.E. and Africa too!

before we moan and complain about the OP premise. Lets remember that most of the Americans on aid, probably have ancestors that built this country.
Can the same be said for all those that just got here, get enough federal aid to choke a horse, AND get business LOANS and GRANTS (free money) that Americans can NOT get. AND they dont have to pay taxes on that business for 3 years (which time they just change owners).

If ANY immigrant gets $1 in aid, EVERY AMERICAN should get $2

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Because I'm not allowed to have hobbies or interests? What makes you think I do nothing but "waste time on ATS"? Its past 4pm here I already did my searching for the day. Plus, you know, we have these things called smart phones...

But of course you must know everything.

*shakes head*

Some people.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It is opinion...opposite opinion that founded the principles of our nation. Do I like busting my ass to send my kids to good schools and provide when I see someone with a WIC card pulled out of a Prada purse climbing into a 2 year old Lexus. No. I hate it. The problem is that there is no shame.

It used to be, 10-20 years ago, even if needed, many felt 'low' to use food stamps. Now, it is the norm.

Funded housing is needed for single mothers and fathers and not those who are selling drugs and playing xbox all day. All races...all the time. There is no division anymore.

A give it to me society has been created and who can blame them. In the last 8 years I have seen 'recruitment' for food stamps. 10 years ago when looking for a new career I was not the correct color to get help.

Start local. Make a small difference. Volunteer...run for city council...commission...anything. One voice can become many....
edit on 04pm30pmf0000002014-04-16T15:13:40-05:000340 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It won't stop, just so you know. Embrace the future, educate yourselves, your children, and your politicians. We can avoid most of the negative side effects of technological unemployment while reaping all of the benefits. We just have to be aware.

Aside from the Venus Project stuff at the end, all of what is being said is pretty much true. Technological Unemployment is not a trend that stops. It will just snowball until there are no jobs left. Solutions are difficult to come by, and no one knows exactly what to do. Honestly, the institution of money, wealth, and debt may be eliminated by the vice that created them in the first place...greed. The overhead corporations will reap from automation is MASSIVE but will bite every owner of capital in the ass once they realize that the consumer base doesn't have the money to buy the product that the machines produce. The machines will get better, AI will shoot off like a the fastest horse on the track, and jobs will cease to exist. It's only a matter of time. But, watch the video or check out some literature
edit on 16-4-2014 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

tinner07

CagliostroTheGreat

I could be wrong but I think the days of hitting the bricks and filling out applications is pretty much in the past. I think most places hire online or through temp agencies. So in theory sitting in front of the computer could be looking for a job.

You're right I found my job using the internet.

Good point.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Technology.. pfft. people need to just go to college and work harder (at being unemployed) lol

those ten guys out of work should have ALL went to college for those 3 technical jobs..

Darn it, I work, so everyone should.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

Because I'm not allowed to have hobbies or interests? What makes you think I do nothing but "waste time on ATS"? Its past 4pm here I already did my searching for the day. Plus, you know, we have these things called smart phones...

But of course you must know everything.

*shakes head*

Some people.

Sorry.

I was wrong to judge you.

Good luck on the search.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I just had this conversation the other day with someone. Im a disabled veteran who saved quite a bit from my last 2 jobs...I had enough and invested enough to retire very young along with my disability. My family joked about it and some have even said I could make so much more if I went back to work. The fact is..im college educated and could most likely get a job over most people....all id do then is take a job away from someone else and have even more money that I dont need. In some cases id argue..its good people aint working! The VA has to pay me regardless so its better I leave that job open to someone else!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

As a retired and disabled Vet, I wrestle with this conundrum a lot. Still haven't worked it out.

I guess, for me anyways, it boils down to how I am personally affected.

The ACA has raised my Tri-Care rates, I deal with a brother in law who says I don't deserve squat, despite 30+ years of service, while he receives welfare.

I live small, frugally and don't buy what I don't need. I have a flip phone still, a 22'inch TV, and a one room apartment. But yet I still have to pay into the system every year, on top of the taxes I already pay.

We are reaching a breaking point.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
As the article states, and I am in agreement, vets and people who have worked till they are retired deserve it. They are part of the group it is here for. Same with families who are struggling. A single dad with 2 kids working 2 jobs could USE 200 bucks a month for food instead of someone getting that WIC card, going to a local gas station and selling it for half for beer or drugs. It is the sad truth that many do not want to talk about as long as they can parade a few cases in front of cameras for photo ops once in awhile.

A veteran or someone who is retired should not have to consider should they and shouldn't they because it could take a job from someone else. There are jobs out there for many and a lot feel themselves below it. Change careers or direction. Learn a new skill. It is about survival and not being a leech on the countries tit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join