It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology Changing So Quickly, The Old Is Forgotten

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
One of my daughters favorite toys is my 1980's Voltron figure. Missing the sword and one of the black cats red blades is snapped, missing the windows on all but two cats, and only have 3 of the heroes...puck, the princess and the leader dude. It still forms Voltron and stands on its own and she loves that thing to death.

I'm glad some things aren't lost on them. =)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I remember when the DH went to help his sister with a computer problem. He had to go in the closet for some reason. Up on the shelf was a typewriter. He asked his nephew if he knew what it was. His response was, " Sure, its a typewriter. I've watched the Brady Bunch." That was his reference for the typewriter!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Cell phones?? Remember when there was no remote control for the TV? 3 black and white channels on an evening with good reception?

Remember when a standard transmission on a car was 'standard' ... but it seems a stick sells as an 'option' these days. Hey Dad, what's that mean, "clutch?" LOL

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Hey now, c'mon man...I'm not even (quite) 40 yet. I remember my royal blue 8 track "walkman" that had a shoulder strap and was about the size of a shoebox, little wider (more sqaure) and a little slimmer. Kenny Rogers & Moody Blues & Jesus Christ Superstar.
####, I guess I am getting old.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

There was a remote, it was me. My dad would yell, I'd come running out of my room in anticipation of something special, and he'd say, turn the dial to channel 9 (out of 13 total on the TV, of which only three - the BIG three - were available, plus pbs of course, but that was on the UHF which you had to fine tune with the "dial within the dial" as it were, and we didn't watch much Lawrence Welk.
Darn, I guess I am dating myself.
But I do remember the "clunk..clunk..clunk...of turning the knob on the living room TV. I also remember watching the 1st & 2nd season of the simpsons on the black & white 13" in my parents bedroom too.
I do have to say, though, I do like having 200+ albums on my phone/MP3player/camera/web-browser/etc., bluetooth to play it in my car or cordless headphones, and all that modern tech has advanced to.
I can't imagine what the next 30+ years of tech advancement will bring, barring the SHTF scenario of course.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
thanks for making the topic, S&F

i'll be using it as a research link for the gospel of tinfoil
(POTENTIAL DANGERS OF TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT, who develops & distributes it, and why)

keep in mind this is all exponential growth, at some point the changes will be coming so fast they'll literally make our heads spin.[advances in biotechnology, microbiology, physics, etc]

our problem here is; have some of these discoveries already been made? (perhaps in some underground facility, wink)
considering how some of these technologies are already revolutionizing the world (*cough* paperclip *cough*) we've got half our answer already

what's also very useful here is the topic title, reflecting how the progress effectively *destroys* the foundation as it goes[the old is forgotten] -this is the most important thing- (and why i post things on the internet) PLEASE keep in mind that things like morals, values & ethics (decency and goodness) should NEVER be forgotten (remember this as the world entices you with all these "technological advancements")

a relevant metaphor would be.. those nasa guys[back on page 1] forgetting how to 'light the fire', whatever that meant.. that's another part of the enigmatic nature of our situation, as one might assume it's very easy to start a fire?[kids with matches] ..the problem[enigma] is about *where* to start this fire[and for what purpose, *intent*] as one might also easily assume[knowing from experience] that lighting fires willy nilly leads to various destructions

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The interesting thing here is the where the line is, I was telling one of my youngest co-workers about this video,( she is 18)
She knew exactly what a Walkman was, and was surprised that somebody 5 years younger had no clue what it was.

After that conversasion I didn't feel as old

edit on 17-4-2014 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

just goes to show how more stupid kids are today. I always have understood old and new technology, as its just machinery and an intelligent person will see it for what it is and use it.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The Sony Walkman was first launched in 1979 and at that time it was a revolutionary device which allowed people to carry music wherever they went. However, after 35 years this device has become outdated and youngsters today don’t even know what a cassette player is. In this Kids react to Walkmans video by The Fine Bros, few youngsters were given a Walkman and asked to use it. The reactions by the kids are simply priceless and it just made me feel OLD!
Now it's time to 3-D and hologram. For these visit: Olomagic.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join