It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Fayette Mother wants case against bullied son dropped

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I do understand you point of view. Personally I believe that the judge was a bit harsh in this case, when it came to punishing the child, and could have been a bit more lienient in this case, as the child did have good extrenious circumstance and just cause for breaking the law in the first place.

But 2 wrongs do not make a right, but there can be some good that comes out of this case, and that being what I stated in my original post, that an investigation needs to be done, to verify and determine what all is going on in this classroom when it comes to this one student and his classmates. If they are not going to do anything, then it will give the wrong impression all around and show that neither the administration, or school board or the staff is operating within their mandate, nor the courts or the police.

What is truly ironic, Pen state does have on its books, laws about bullying, and I think that this should alert the authorities that they do need to pay attention.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

sdcigarpig

I do understand you point of view. Personally I believe that the judge was a bit harsh in this case, when it came to punishing the child, and could have been a bit more lienient in this case, as the child did have good extrenious circumstance and just cause for breaking the law in the first place.

But 2 wrongs do not make a right, but there can be some good that comes out of this case, and that being what I stated in my original post, that an investigation needs to be done, to verify and determine what all is going on in this classroom when it comes to this one student and his classmates. If they are not going to do anything, then it will give the wrong impression all around and show that neither the administration, or school board or the staff is operating within their mandate, nor the courts or the police.

What is truly ironic, Pen state does have on its books, laws about bullying, and I think that this should alert the authorities that they do need to pay attention.

"Law" doesn't mean "right". I would argue all too often law is "wrong".

I still only see 1 wrong in this case. But to each their own.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Laws absolutely MUST be disobeyed sometimes, especially in a democracy. The reason for this is that it highlights any faults with a particular law. If a law is ALWAYS and UNQUESTIONABLY followed [as some people on here seem to love doing or they'd be just as outraged as anybody who still thinks for themselves], then laws can be made that do nothing for the safety of the people.

Also if laws are not challenged by sometimes disobeying them they would never ever change. In America you'd still be following archaic laws that we all laugh about but we can only laugh about them because they were disobeyed and nothing bad happened, therefore they were useless and have been changed.

This wiretrap law may be useful for big corporations, famous people, newspapers, politicians and such but it should never spill down to a bullied kid doing the only sensible thing without resorting to violence.
Therefore the law must be changed accordingly. To do this something like this story HAD to happen, someone HAD to disobey to highlight the ludicrousness of it as it stands.

Someone once said [was it Niezsche?]: "Don't trust anybody who blindly follows all laws". not quoted but the meaning should be clear.
Blind defenders and followers of laws are obviously not capable of common sense or logic, only to "follow" what "a big man" has told them. Just remember that those that make laws have buttholes just like everyone else, they are not gods.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I agree that the law may be wrong, however, there is another aspect of this kind of law that is what should be protecting the people, yet some fail to see how it can be applied.

Remove this law, and it makes it easier for any government agency to simply just to listen in on your private conversations without protection to the person. That means without this law, the government could come in and simply set up a means to monitor any ones calls, and not have to justify it in a court of law, and use what they hear against anyone at any time. It is a catch 22, we desire privacy and that is true, but at the same time there needs to be constraints, and laws like that one often will work against the government and force them to go through the channels and red tape to get the permission to do just that. Take it away and now you have a situation, where the veil of privacy is removed and ultimately it harms all.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

The irony in what you say is that they already listen in on and record calls without a warrant.

What is good for the king must be good for the people, right?

I agree that wiretapping laws should be in place. But this kid was not in the wrong for breaking that law (which really should not apply to this situation, where it has nothing to do with wiretapping). This kid was defending himself in the only way he was able to.

If a man breaks in my home and I shoot him, his cause of death will be homocide. Homocide is typically illegal. However, and especially in the great State of Texas, I will not be seen as committing a crime. Homocide in that case is justified.

Same here. This kid was being harrassed, and authority failed to protect him. The same authority that also ties kids hands and keeps them from socking a bully in the nose (under the guise of "zero tolerance" policies against fighting, which I have proven to my local ISD are unconstitutional). His "crime" was justified and was no crime.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Update
triblive.com...

“No one in our office who was authorized to give advice on wiretap issues or school conduct issues was ever contacted in this matter,” Mike Manko, a spokesman for Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr., said in a statement. “We have made multiple attempts to contact the officer who wrote the citation. Those attempts have been unsuccessful. It is our intention to withdraw the citation on April 29 because we do not believe his conduct rises to the level of a citation.”

Read more: triblive.com...
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I guess if I was the cop I woulda went awol as well...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
UPDATE: ALL CHARGES DROPPED... YAY!!!!!

Here is a great article on this with the deets:

Article Link

Yesterday, I mentioned the appalling ordeal of Christian Stanfield, a 15-year-old boy with ADHD who finally had enough of the bullying he'd had to endure for most of the year at his high school south of Pittsburgh since at least October. Back in February, he recorded several of his classmates bullying him in the middle of math class. However, when his mom showed the video to school officials, it was Christian who ended up taking the heat--in the form of a criminal charge for disorderly conduct. A local judge sided with the school and fined Christian $25 plus court costs. Read all about this travesty here.

Well, this story has a happy ending. Christian had been planning to appeal the judge's ruling in common pleas court on April 29. But late yesterday, he learned that hearing won't take place. The Allegheny County district attorney's office has announced that all charges against Christian will be dropped.

More on the nature of the bullying that was dismissed by adults involved (how could ANYONE not call this bullying?!?!?). Also - about the aftermath...

"She estimated there had been eight to 10 incidents in his math class, which ranged from spitwads being shot at her son to hand sanitizer being thrown at his back to attempting to burn Christian with a lighter."

And yet, nothing seems to have been done about it. According to Love, the video shows that the teacher didn't even try to see if Christian was OK after a loud slamming sound was heard and one of the punks who was bullying him said, "What? I was just trying to scare him." There isn't a prosecutor in this country who could bring charges against someone for recording this type of bullying and still keep his job. Though I have to admit, seeing the administrators of this school have to explain under oath why they didn't do something earlier would have been worth the price of admission. Seen in that light, the DA did this school one whopper of a favor.

Rightfully, the school Admin is getting reamed for their mishandling of this situation. I'm so happy for this boy and his mom. Score one for the good...

peace,
AB

edit on 18-4-2014 by AboveBoard because: more info.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueSkyes

Hey Blue Skies! You beat me to it...

Such good news, though, it's worthy of repeating...

- AB

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join