It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biting My Tongue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

I know how frustrated you feel. Last Summer I went to a clothing sale at a woman's apparel shop. After spending over an hour choosing what I wanted, I went to the register to check out. The clerk started ringing up my purchase, then asked me for my zip code. I smiled and declined to give her anything but the cash in my hand.. She looked at me like I'd grown a horn out of my forehead.

She just stood there looking confused, waiting for me to change my mind, I guess. I told her I wanted to finish my transaction and leave. She then told me the computerized register wouldn't ring it up without the zip code added.

Needless to say, I left empty handed, and a total waste of my time shopping there.

It's none of a shops business what my zip code is. If my money is not good enough to purchase what they sell....I'll spend it somewhere else.

I don't understand how people just give out any info asked for by complete strangers, that has nothing to do with buying a Summer dress.

Great rant AD...

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I feel ya! It is a huge pet peeve of mine when they are super instant on making sure you have their store card. Most of the time I can get away with say, "I rarely shop here." There was one store I shopped at frequently enough that everyone knew not to even bother asking me. However, another one that I frequented, got more pushy every time and and got more intrusive with their questions of "why not?". This store had the most intrusive question on their application of any other store I had ever seen. There was no way I was giving them that info. I finally broke down and gave them fake info.
I am sure it my confuse the heck out of the people trying track the data at their store. They have an 80 year old male buying makeup and feminine hygiene products.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Seriously heavy agreement here. When i am asked such things, i unblinkingly meet their eyes and leave an inappropriately long pause before slowly saying "No, thank you. All i want to do is buy these items. Can i please do that?".

Maybe in the states there is a harder sell, idk.... works great in the UK though.

And yes. Cash

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks Des. Oh I have dealt with the postal code thing and the phone number thing,and have always given fake or outdated info.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

ScientiaFortisDefendit

You pay cash for everything? You are probably on a terrorist watch list somewhere.

edit on 14-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)
Guaranteed, but not for paying with cash. Lol

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I give the same answer to the postal code question everytime.
P O O P O O.

Had a cool cashier actually enter it and laugh with me.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

I know how frustrated you feel. Last Summer I went to a clothing sale at a woman's apparel shop. After spending over an hour choosing what I wanted, I went to the register to check out. The clerk started ringing up my purchase, then asked me for my zip code. I smiled and declined to give her anything but the cash in my hand.. She looked at me like I'd grown a horn out of my forehead.

She just stood there looking confused, waiting for me to change my mind, I guess. I told her I wanted to finish my transaction and leave. She then told me the computerized register wouldn't ring it up without the zip code added.

Needless to say, I left empty handed, and a total waste of my time shopping there.

It's none of a shops business what my zip code is. If my money is not good enough to purchase what they sell....I'll spend it somewhere else.

I don't understand how people just give out any info asked for by complete strangers, that has nothing to do with buying a Summer dress.

Great rant AD...

Des

Just give them the zip code I always give 20500. It's the White House zip code.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There were so many complaints our local Albertson's quit using them.

Educate the cashier. I did. Even cashiers don't like to be spied on.

I made up a whole routine how they could pin a murder on you for buying Bleach.

Cash it is...The way to defeat it is everyone give false information.

Then it's worthless...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Good one Buster....

The White House zip code it will be in the future.

Des

link   

AccessDenied

ScientiaFortisDefendit

You pay cash for everything? You are probably on a terrorist watch list somewhere.

edit on 14-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)
Guaranteed, but not for paying with cash. Lol

I actually LOLed at my desk at work. I'm sure I am on a list.

As for the cashiers asking for my phone number, I always give them a wry smile and say "Can I have yours, too?" They usually say nothing and continue.

link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Just died laughing...omg so gotta try that!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

whyamIhere
There were so many complaints our local Albertson's quit using them.

Educate the cashier. I did. Even cashiers don't like to be spied on.

I made up a whole routine how they could pin a murder on you for buying Bleach.

Cash it is...The way to defeat it is everyone give false information.

Then it's worthless...

I want to go to WalMart one day with about 10 gallons of bleach, a shovel, tarp, a bag of lime, and rubber gloves. Then when they are ringing up my items, ask the cashier "Do you know which detergent works best on blood stains?.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ScientiaFortisDefendit

For chuckles, just buy a cucumber and some baby oil. Be sure to wear a smile.

If you are feeling especially mischievous, ditch the cucumber for a squash and ask if they sell forceps too.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

skalla
reply to post by ScientiaFortisDefendit

For chuckles, just buy a cucumber and some baby oil. Be sure to wear a smile.

If you are feeling especially mischievous, ditch the cucumber for a squash and ask if they sell forceps too.

And now I have to clean my screen...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Not sure I like where this thread is drifting.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
(a) management demands that cashiers ask for your zip-code, it is not the "special" interest of the cashier in your number.. They hate those questions, too.

(b) use fake zip-codes. Here in Germany I like to use 27498, the zip-code for Helgoland - the only offshore island for Germany, about 1.200 citizens. This was suggested in an internet-meme-thingie some years ago, I really hope that many people use this number to screw with those databases.. *evil grin*

(c) they are asking for telephone-numbers? Email-adresses? REALLY?! In your face, generation-facebook! That is what you deserve! I would just laugh, what does a clothing store need my private contact details for?
edit on 15-4-2014 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

You are right, the cashiers are forced to say what they do.

Due to a lack of jobs in this cow-town I live in, I have worked as a grocery cashier and a drive-thru window person for a fast food restaurant. You are FORCED to keep repeating the same idiotic phrases, to upsell...or you lose your minimum wage job.

I was a happy cashier. Loved the customers. Some people would actually phone the store to see if I was working that day. They would only come to my lane.
Why?
Because I was lovely to everyone.
Even if I had to ask if they wanted to donate to such-and-such, or buy a bag.

Even though those jobs were below my level of education, experience, etc. I always did my best. The customers appreciated it.
I enjoyed making people laugh or at least smile.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Jacy you are a rare breed. I too worked customer service,but it wasn't my thing. Always criticized for not smiling enough,not making enough conversation. Truth is when it comes to people I'm rather crusty and don't want to smile or make chit chat. To me it's work,not a social gathering,and in my mind should be kept serious. I'm not there to have a good time or make friends. I know.. I have a strict work ethic. Luckily,none of my jobs forced me to ask for personal info....That would not have gone over well.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

ManFromEurope

(c) they are asking for telephone-numbers? Email-adresses? REALLY?! In your face, generation-facebook! That is what you deserve! I would just laugh, what does a clothing store need my private contact details for?
edit on 15-4-2014 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

To clothe you the better, of course!
They want to be homies you know?

If they didn't ask for it people would be like "Ya'll are such lame fuddy duddies".

I am just making an observation.
But is it accurate?

edit on 4/15/2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Thank you, AccessDenied!

I believe in old-school customer service, lol.
It's sad that some people actually thanked me for being so nice to them.
I like helping others.

I had miserable customers too. One man decided that I must be there because I was uneducated, or starting out in the work force. He had NO idea the jobs I'd held before.
I was a stay-at-home mom for years, who then was suddenly entering a work-force where the only available jobs were part-time, minimum wage.
Instead of feeling 'humiliation'....I embraced my crappy job, lol. (at least I was working)

In the fast food drive thru, a customer once THREW his food at me, saying it wasn't what he ordered.
It was EXACTLY what he ordered. The nastier he got, the nicer I became.
I knew it wasn't personal....it's never usually personal. He needed someone to be nice to him. Before he drove away, he told me I should be the manager.

jacygirl

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join