It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biting My Tongue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Sometimes I find one of the most difficult things about being a conspiracy theorist, is to keep my mouth shut, or bite my tongue on certain things, when out in public and it would be inappropriate or disturbing to others to voice my point of view.
Case in point, when I go out shopping for groceries or whatever,the cashiers forever ask ...
" Will this be on your (store loyalty,credit or points card)?"
" No, I do not have one"*sigh
" Would you like to apply for one today? It's FREE!"
"No, I would never use it."*Feeling my temples begin to throb.
" But you get free points every time you shop and you could get discounts and free stuff!" * Feels my face begin to go red.
As if the constant emphasis on " FREE" is going to sway me...NOT.
"Tsk, Tsk"...says the cashier..."You don't know what you are missing".
Oh for the love of god...at this point, her over enthusiasm to "sign me up" (likely because she gets some kind of "Free PRIZE" herself for commission) has me absolutely ready to burst with every reason I can list NOT to have a store rewards/ loyalty card.
I don't give a flying flatulence in space about your points or your free stuff or that ridiculous happy smile you paint on your face while you are pushing a little plastic card that completely invades my right to shop without anybody tracking what I am buying! If I want to buy ten chocolate bars and a diet soda that's my business! Not the national "spy" agency,and not the head office of the store who also wants my email address so they can send me "FREE" coupons and " FREE" in store offers meanwhile selling my name and information to the highest bidder. Not the Popular Canadian clothing retailer, whom upon my purchase asked me for my mailing address to keep on file. WTH FOR? So you can track my location and monitor the shopping habits of locals versus visitors. As if. One of these days, I swear....some poor young thing who is overworked and underpaid and through no fault of her own is going to have to "CLEAN UP IN AISLE THREE" because I'm gonna explode.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Sounds like we have the same thoughts about all that crap.

I am finding lately,the funny thing about being a conspiracy theorist who holds his tongue...people talk about them more than I do.
I keep finding myself telling myself "wow,and I thought I was the conspiracy dude?"

My internet service provider asked me for my email and cellphone number (no Iphone here and happy about it) and I said "why...so you can spam me with your BS and ads...I don't think you NEED that info?"
Just provide the service and than piss off please.

Also,I have had the same offers,"do you have a points card etc etc"
I cut my airmiles card into guitar picks...screw em!!

I feel you...i really do.

edit on 14-4-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Make sure youre paying with cash.

Otherwise, they're already tracking you.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I feel this way too. That these stores are trying to track us, and, it's more than annoying. Can't just shop, it has to become a game, where they push you're the one winning, but the corporations are gaining far more.

Can't help but thinking that knowing what we've learned through ATS, huh?

Good rant. S & F

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Its the same here. You go in a coffee shop and they say "Would you like any pastries today for a pound". Im at the stage where im sick of being polite and saying "No thank you" Part of me wants to say...No i Fu@@@@ dont!....Especially when you go to Crapdonalds and they always say "Would you like to make your meal large for an extra 30 pence?"...That almost sends me over the edge. I know its coming....Then they say it.....One day Im gonna explode in there Or spontaneously human combust with anger LOL...Up yours world!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
i used to get annoyed at checkouts from being asked if i wanted to buy a reuseable shopping bag.

then i got one and my life has never been better!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I tend to agree with you it drives me crazy at certain locations. One such I frequent quite often, about every other day and even when you get to know the cashier, they still ask that same stupid question every single time you go to the register. Really annoying but they must make them say that as part of their job requirements.
On the other hand I have a ShopRite Loyalty card that is for the most part useless except makes in store discounts accessible to me. Having 2 kids and being a single mom at the end of the year I save in upwards of a thousand dollars, on top of getting a free turkey for thanksgiving. The turkey usually is not that great but you can use the amount toward something else if you don't eat meat.
I guess it depends on the store and how much you shop there.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You are really getting me wanting to rant now!!

The plumbing company I use,the normal dispatch guy was off for the day.
The filling in dispatcher asked my name...I gave my first name.
She asks "whats your last name."

My reply..."you don't need that information...you know the problem and the address and where to bill and thats good enough"
She replies "if I don't get your last name,I can't book the call"
My reply "no problem,I'll cancel your contract and call someone else"
Her reply "I'll call you back with an estimated time of arrival"

These people need to be held accountable for the douchyness and all the unneeded info they try to get.

Also,to the dude who said USE CASH....I so agree with you that you have no idea how much i do.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Agreed! It is so annoying to play the twenty questions game when all you want to do is make your purchase and move on.

I went shopping this last weekend at a clothing store in the mall. When the cashier asked for my phone number, I just said "No thank you." with a smile. Did the same thing when she asked for my email address.

She looked totally confused and perplexed at my answers, although she didn't try to push the issue; I think they are all used to people willingly giving up all of their private information.

But, she just keyed thru the responses, rang up my order and out the door I went.

I have even been known to tell them I don't have a phone or an email address if they get pushy about it.

I guess it's just one of those things that stick in my craw, so I refuse to participate.

Good rant, OP. SnF.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I feel exactly the same way.....I particularly liked this line..

I don't give a flying flatulence in space

I nearly spat my rum and coke all over my lappy screen!

I don't have a loyalty card, or credit card. I haven't paid for any shop purchases or petrol with my debit card for years...always cash. I admit to paying for the very few purchases I have made on Amazon with my debit card...no other way to do it.

As I get older I find myself becoming more and more reclusive, I don't mean from people, but from technology to track my every movement.

As soon as my youngest leaves home, my mobile and internet and tv will in all likelyhood go too. I can't wait to test myself.
I am moving this summer to an area where there are plenty of farmers markets and market stalls...I am so looking forward to growing my own (put it on hold this year obviously) and getting the rest of my 'supplies' from local producers and living 'with the seasons' not the international food chain. The electrical 'gadgetry' can wait another 2 years until my son leaves home.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I don't have a loyalty card, or credit card.

Credit card?? (speaking of being tracked)
Thats called a debt card.
Bankers hate trying to sell me one of those...by the end of the conversation,they are looking pretty dumb for trying to get me in debt like its a normal thing to do.

I am loving this thread so far.

edit on 14-4-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

gladtobehere

Make sure youre paying with cash.

Otherwise, they're already tracking you.

Nothing but cash...already ahead of you. But of course, that makes me a terrorist, no?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
At a certain major retailer here, they have a debit card for the store that ties directly into your bank account and you get some kind of deal every now and then for getting it - I've been asked many times if I want it and frankly, it freaks me out! WHY do I want a second debit card that works at their store for...what?

I already had to get a new regular debit card due to lack of security at this same retailer... (you may guess who...)

Then there's the ads you get online that are so amazingly related to the site you just visited...ARGH!!! THEY ARE FOLLOWING ME AROUND!!! It can make a girl a bit paranoid!

Good Rant, AccessDenied.

- AB

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I just stare at them until they stop or look up after they ask then I stare a little longer and say NO as I keep staring. I never get any continuation after that, haha. Also I use random grocery reward cards. I have about 3. Mostly I am some mexican woman, but none of them have my actual name or my number or any of that. I use fake names for almost everything and I try to feed bad data into companies like google or whoever just because they deserve it.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

AnteBellum

I tend to agree with you it drives me crazy at certain locations. One such I frequent quite often, about every other day and even when you get to know the cashier, they still ask that same stupid question every single time you go to the register. Really annoying but they must make them say that as part of their job requirements.

Oh my god.. that's just it! It's the same stores, same cashiers...and I know they recognize me, because there is occasionally small talk of local happenings involved...so it's worse because I feel I have to be polite when inside I'm boiling over!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

KnightLight

I just stare at them until they stop or look up after they ask then I stare a little longer and say NO as I keep staring. I never get any continuation after that, haha. Also I use random grocery reward cards. I have about 3. Mostly I am some mexican woman, but none of them have my actual name or my number or any of that. I use fake names for almost everything and I try to feed bad data into companies like google or whoever just because they deserve it.

That is ingenious. Never thought of using a fake name...lmao.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

DrumsRfun

You are really getting me wanting to rant now!!

The plumbing company I use,the normal dispatch guy was off for the day.
The filling in dispatcher asked my name...I gave my first name.
She asks "whats your last name."

My reply..."you don't need that information...you know the problem and the address and where to bill and thats good enough"
She replies "if I don't get your last name,I can't book the call"
My reply "no problem,I'll cancel your contract and call someone else"
Her reply "I'll call you back with an estimated time of arrival"

These people need to be held accountable for the douchyness and all the unneeded info they try to get.

Also,to the dude who said USE CASH....I so agree with you that you have no idea how much i do.

I don't use a credit card either, never have and that is what sort of ticked me off. If Iam paying with cash to me it indicates I just want to pay for my items and leave. I don't want added paperwork attached to my transaction. Period. As for not needing information, oh boy have I got a story for you Drums. Revenue Canada requires your phone number, in order to file a return for you. No number, no return. I had an extremely nice and might I add "defiant" accountant prepare my tax return. She put a fake number (you know the movie numbers 555 ....) into the system so I did not have to provide my number.Sometimes you just have to stand your ground.LOL.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
To bad the cashiers can't be honest with you...

"Would you like a club card? It allows our corporate office to track your purchases and send you unsolicited coupons and deals based on your buying preferences. It's FREE."

"No, thank you."

"Are you sure? We then sell the data detailing your purchasing habits, even though we tell you we don't. You'll also start receiving email solicitations about products and services that you'll have no inclination to pursue.' Again, it's FREE. Also, when we run in-store specials, you'll be required to scan your card to get the discount, even though I keep a card here to scan for those customers who don't have one so they can get the discount anyway. FREE!"

edit on 14-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

You pay cash for everything? You are probably on a terrorist watch list somewhere.

edit on 14-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

ScientiaFortisDefendit
To bad the cashiers can't be honest with you...

"Would you like a club card? It allows our corporate office to track your purchases and send you unsolicited coupons and deals based on your buying preferences. It's FREE."

"No, thank you."

"Are you sure? We then sell the data detailing your purchasing habits, even though we tell you we don't. You'll also start receiving email solicitations about products and services that you'll have no inclination to pursue.' Again, it's FREE. Also, when we run in-store specials, you'll be required to scan your card to get the discount, even though I keep a card here to scan for those customers who don't have one so they can get the discount anyway. Free!"

Nope. Even honesty costs you these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join