It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX to attempt recovery of first stage rocket. (4/14/2014 @ 1:58 PM PST)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

SpaceX
During [today's] CRS-3 launch to station, SpaceX will attempt to recover Falcon 9’s first stage. This test is not a primary mission objective and has a low probability of success (30-40%), but we hope to gather as much data as possible to support future testing. After stage separation, when Dragon is well on its way to the ISS, the first stage will attempt to execute a reentry burn and then a landing burn over the Atlantic Ocean. Falcon 9 is carrying four landing legs, which will deploy partway into the landing burn. Eventually, SpaceX hopes to land the first stage on land. Though success is unlikely with this test, it represents an exciting effort toward someday developing a reusable rocket.

Webcast begins at 1:20 PM PST

Check out those legs!

UPDATE:

CRS-3 Update Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a Helium leak on Falcon 9’s first stage. A fix will be implemented by the next launch opportunity on Friday April 18, though weather on that date isn’t ideal. Check back here for updates.

edit on 14-4-2014 by lemmin because: Update

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Great idea, but how much more fuel does the rocket have to carry? Wouldn't a water landing using parachutes be cheaper?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberspy

I wouldn't think so . Speciaized watercraft are a lot more expensive than land based systems. A ship, Some way to get the booster into the ship a place to off load then transport to wherever to be rehabbed after being in salt water. Having it land a mile ot 2 away makes a lot of sense.

edit on 14-4-2014 by mikell because: bad smelling

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberspy

Cyberspy
Great idea, but how much more fuel does the rocket have to carry? Wouldn't a water landing using parachutes be cheaper?

I'm guessing that it will use a parachute as well, just like the Soyuz. The landing burn is very brief:

Soyuz touchdown

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Hi Mikell,

Those first stages fly a lot farther then just a couple of miles down range. Not sure exactly how far. I'll have to look that up. Also, the fuel used in landing would take away from how much payload could be boosted.

lemmin

I'm guessing that it will use a parachute as well, just like the Soyuz. The landing burn is very brief:

Could be Lemmin

edit on 14-4-2014 by Cyberspy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Cyberspy

They should try something like this, but on a larger scale:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Blue, I haven't seen one of those things since I was a kid in the 60's.

Maybe they should try one. This mission has been scrubbed. I took off early from work to get home in time to watch it too.
Guess I'll just have to settle for some Kerbal Space now.

edit on 14-4-2014 by Cyberspy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Videos from the spacex YT channel...

The Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft are raised vertically for the CRS-3 mission to the space station.

Due to an unknown issue at this time, tonight's launch attempt of SpaceX's Falcon 9v1.1 rocket with the Dragon Spacecraft for the International Space Station has been scrubbed. The next possible launch attempt is Friday April 18th but SpaceX has yet to confirm they are targeting this date.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lemmin

I wonder what the scrub was called for?

I can't wait for a full scale test of the grasshopper landing system!

edit: helium leak in the first stage.
edit on 14-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hi, rocket fans.

Here a practice ( or first steps ) on a video:
Grasshopper Rocket Soars to Over 1000 Feet
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK6StxRc22Q

!!. . .then lands back where it started from. . .!!

Blue skies.

new topics

top topics

join