It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NYC Satanic Temple Declares May 15th "Protect Children Day" for Schools

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Gryphon66
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well, an even more interesting thing is that apparently these Satanists in question aren't even the arch-humanist Laveyan type, but apparently are based entirely off Satan as the heroic literary figure from John Milton's "Paradise Lost" and Anatole France's "Revolt of the Angels." The Satanic Temple - The Canon.

Seems these folks were the same group are spear-heading the effort to put the Satanic statue beside the Ten Commandments in Oklahoma.

They even have a Facebook page, LOL: The Satanic Temple - Facebook

Technically the Ten Commandments shouldnt even be a public prospect, let alone the statue. Just more idols for people to gawk at

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

That's the version of Satanism I assumed the op was talking about not the chirch of satan version that was just linked. They seem to be the type that would try something like this to get Christians all riled up then make them look foolish when they got mad. I want to see how this plays out tbh.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

Actually, the Ten Commandments would at least make some sense in the setting of a courthouse, alongside representations of the Code of Hammurabi, the Roman Twelve Tables, the Magna Carta, the US Constitution etc. The "Baphomet With Kids" these guys are proposing makes no sense except from an overt kind of "in your face" political statement. Surely the Ten Commandments reference God but aren't necessarily promoting God per se as much as the idea of Law ... and as far as the Baphomet representing Satan ... you might as well erect a life-sized can of Red Devil Lye.

In my opinion.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yeah, the more I look at the site, the more I think it may be a group just "making a point" more or less.

I can't say that I don't think its a good point, but I hate that it upsets basically good folk like Beezer so badly.

I do like the Tenets though. And their site reminded me to get a copy of the Anatole France book for my library.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I get upset because I see a knee-jerk reaction to issues like this where it is becoming "wrong" to dislike something.

It's not enough just to be for "freedom of speech".

You have to agree with what is being said.

Even on this thread I had to actually qualify WHY I disagreed with the Satanists.

It's not enough now just to disagree. That is equaled to hatred, prejudice, bias. Now any opponent has to qualify WHY.

Political correctness run rampant.

It almost makes me want to disagree with something JUST because the pack is baying in concert.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Gryphon66
reply to post by G0v0D47

Actually, the Ten Commandments would at least make some sense in the setting of a courthouse, alongside representations of the Code of Hammurabi, the Roman Twelve Tables, the Magna Carta, the US Constitution etc. The "Baphomet With Kids" these guys are proposing makes no sense except from an overt kind of "in your face" political statement. Surely the Ten Commandments reference God but aren't necessarily promoting God per se as much as the idea of Law ... and as far as the Baphomet representing Satan ... you might as well erect a life-sized can of Red Devil Lye.

In my opinion.

I can see your point. However in that setting they should legally be called The Ten Statutes since Commandments are literally a dictation where as the original meaning of the biblical setting was a moral code, and moron fanatics see it as laws. Also they could put a number of things in that category in a courthouse as well. Think of eastern religions and Crowleys Book of the Law.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

beezzer

I get upset because I see a knee-jerk reaction to issues like this where it is becoming "wrong" to dislike something.

It's not enough just to be for "freedom of speech".

You have to agree with what is being said.

Even on this thread I had to actually qualify WHY I disagreed with the Satanists.

It's not enough now just to disagree. That is equaled to hatred, prejudice, bias. Now any opponent has to qualify WHY.

Political correctness run rampant.

It almost makes me want to disagree with something JUST because the pack is baying in concert.

Thats cus its the moral censorship advocates that usually win court cases due to public scrutiny. If they lost, they would sue the state or nation for "harm against" such and such cus Americans by majority are a bunch of sadistic cry babys.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

Agreed on the points of both your examples! Perhaps "Decalogue" would be even better.

Oh, any number of multi-cultural examples could be considered, although I just spit a little bit of coffee at the screen thinking about "Do as thou wilt ..." and a bust of Uncle Al's head being graven in stone in OK ... but still, if Baphomet is going to have a place, it should be next to Jesus, Moses, Buddha and the rest of the ... er, "god-figures" ... does that make sense?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wait. You are mad because I asked you to defend your beliefs? Lol. That's pretty funny. I didn't think you'd be a fan of ignorant opinions. Guess I was wrong.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Gryphon66
reply to post by G0v0D47

Agreed on the points of both your examples! Perhaps "Decalogue" would be even better.

Oh, any number of multi-cultural examples could be considered, although I just spit a little bit of coffee at the screen thinking about "Do as thou wilt ..." and a bust of Uncle Al's head being graven in stone in OK ... but still, if Baphomet is going to have a place, it should be next to Jesus, Moses, Buddha and the rest of the ... er, "god-figures" ... does that make sense?

Yep, you just said it perfectly!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Oh sweet lord.

(Free to guess which "lord" that is.)

First, thank you for your reply.

Second, sorry you feel constrained to answer; I think we all thought we were having a roundtable discussion, you know "ATS."

Third, I know it's a bete noire for you, but not everything is political correctness. I enjoy your opinion on some things, your wit on others, sometimes you make me want to rip my eyes out, sometimes I scream at my screen and wish I could get my hands on your little-furry-bunny neck ... but no one here, including me, want to shut you down! No one wants to control your speech. Even when I don't agree with you, you do make me think ... when I stop seeing red.

Thus, my thought of you with number 4 on their list of Tenets.

So, there.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by beezzer

Wait. You are mad because I asked you to defend your beliefs? Lol. That's pretty funny. I didn't think you'd be a fan of ignorant opinions. Guess I was wrong.

Nope. I was irritated because you didn't question satanic tenets and just took it on "faith" that they acted as they believed while casting doubt on Christian tenets which are diametrically opposed.

Simply irritated by political correctness, is all.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There is more than one kind of Satanist!

The different kinds are not like Christian denominations ... comparing them is more like saying Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all the same because they share all but a few figures.

Theistic Satanism is not the same as Atheistic.

Hell, some Satanists don't even believe in Satan, some believe in Set or Lucifer or Cthulhu.

As to how I know this ... let's just say it's a hobby.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Gryphon66
There is more than one kind of Satanist!

The different kinds are not like Christian denominations ... comparing them is more like saying Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all the same because they share all but a few figures.

Theistic Satanism is not the same as Atheistic.

Hell, some Satanists don't even believe in Satan, some believe in Set or Lucifer or Cthulhu.

As to how I know this ... let's just say it's a hobby.

Thats referring to as Chthonic Setian, TOTBL,MLO

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Interesting article over at Queer City . . . where they are free of any agenda . . . except the Gay one. (No I'm not a regular reader)

www.queerty.com...< br />

They did an interview with the head of the NYC Satanic Temple, Lucien Greaves. There is a photo of him, I believe during a "pink mass" that they conducted over Fred Phelps's Mother's grave. The photo has been censored, but I don't think it takes a lot of imagination to get the gist of what's going on. Based on that alone, I wouldn't want him spending any time with my kids, in a religious context or otherwise, but hey that's just me.

Graves does seem to indicate in the article that his group isn't satanic in a theistic sense. One might even get the impression that they use the name to bait Christian's and for the shock value and it's attendant attention more than anything else.

Can't say I approve, but I don't think they're soliciting my approval and I do think it's important to draw a distinction between theistic and other varieties of Satanism, particularly for Christians.

edit on 14-4-2014 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2014 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by imwilliam

Some value in that article that might be lost to those who would avoid "getting the gay on them."

Since I'm not worried about that, I think these quotes might give us more insight into the real ideology of "The Satanic Temple"

(Quotes are from the Queerty article linked above))

Q: On that note, what do you think is the biggest misconception people have about the Satanic Temple?

A: Obviously we play with misconceptions in such a way that will jar these people into, hopefully, reevaluating whether we’re really this sinister cult of homicidal maniacs, or if we’re having a laugh at their expense.

The most common misconceptions that are going to be applied to us are the misconceptions that are applied to Satanism in general, and that being that there is legitimacy to this idea that there are roving hordes of Satanists conspiring in the background with mobile crematoriums and inserting subliminal messages in music.

Q: [...] so many people associate a Satanic Temple with evil and danger, but really what you’re preaching is love and acceptance and tolerance.

A: Yeah, but I think there’s a value in doing it in the name of Satanism, too, because it forces people to reevaluate the arbitrary labels we sometimes put on things. I actually have a long background in studying witch hunts and the idea of Satanism and, in honesty, Satanism is just that: an idea.

When you go back to Old Testament times up to modern history, what we think we know about Satanism is always something manufactured by people more of the Westboro church camp than actual people practicing Satanism.

So, I'd say these guys are closer to Discordians than bona fide Devil Worshippers (and there's no such thing.)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You keep using that term "political correctness" but I haven't used that term once. I've used the term hypocrite which doesn't mean anything similar to political correctness. Like I said, I couldn't give a care one on what you believe, like, hate, whatever. I'm just seeing hypocritical behavior and calling it how I see it. I don't know why you've latched onto this term "political correctness", if you knew me better, you'd know that I'm not even a liberal. Heck I'm Libertarian. I could care less about political correctness.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I don't mind students soliciting for their church to their classmates during their free periods (lunch etc) - thats a students personal right to express themselves but there should not be adults from churches even Christian churches on school grounds soliciting in an organized manner thats also approved by the school.

This santanic church has some ideas though i do not think school kids should be exposed to, especially in a school setting.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix
reply to post by FlyersFan

I don't mind students soliciting for their church to their classmates during their free periods (lunch etc) - thats a students personal right to express themselves but there should not be adults from churches even Christian churches on school grounds soliciting in an organized manner thats also approved by the school.

This santanic church has some ideas though i do not think school kids should be exposed to, especially in a school setting.

What does Carlos Santana have to do with anything???

(Sorry, sorry ... couldn't help it.)

The fact that this group has "Temple" in their name and purports to worship Satan in what ever capacity is enough to keep them from proselytizing on campus in my book. However, JohnPhoenix, I'm curious, which "ideas" as expressed on their website do you think kids shouldn't be exposed to?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Gryphon66
However, JohnPhoenix, I'm curious, which "ideas" as expressed on their website do you think kids shouldn't be exposed to?

Watch out man, this line of questioning was how I got sucked deeply into this conversation with beez.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join