It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NYC Satanic Temple Declares May 15th "Protect Children Day" for Schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

By likening these Satanists to NAMBLA, are you sure that you aren't possibly judging this religion based on preconceived notions that you may have based on a character in your own personal religion? Maybe you should do some research into this religion before you start comparing them to an organization of pedophiles.

You are probably right though, there probably is more to this than meets the eye. Like Cuervo suggested, this is probably a ploy to trap the religious Christian right into either defending Satanism or looking like huge hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

FlyersFan
I'm surprised no one made a comment about this part of the opening post ...

Satanic Group Plans to Turn Westboro Baptist Church Founder Gay in the Afterlife

A New York-based satanic organization has announced plans to turn the founder of Westboro Baptist Church gay after he has died. The Satanic Temple has stated that when Fred Phelps, who is presently in hospice care in Kansas dies, they will perform a "pink mass." Lucien Greaves, spokesperson for the Satanic Temple, explained to the publication VICE that he promised to perform the pink mass for Phelps.

edit on 4/14/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

That's just religious trolling and is no different then a group of Christians calling soldiers killed in a war overseas, evil and that their deaths were brought about because God is punishing the country they are from because that country supports gays.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

States Allowing Corporal Punishment and # of Children Hit - from 2008 Alabama 33,716 Arizona 16 Arkansas 22,314 Colorado 8 Florida 7,185 Georgia 18,249 Idaho 111 Indiana 577 Kansas 50 Kentucky 2,209 Louisiana 11,080 Mississippi 38,131 Missouri 5,159 New Mexico 705 North Carolina 2,705 Ohio 672 Oklahoma 14,828 South Carolina 1,409 - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

California allows it at private schools. Parents just have to sign a release form. Why are they not on the list?

Passing out religious pamphlets at a school is a violation of separation between church and state no matter what the religion is. They need to find another place to do this.

Edit: can't seem to get quoting external text from another member to work. Hope this isn't a problem mods.
edit on 14-4-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

calstorm
California allows it at private schools. Parents just have to sign a release form. Why are they not on the list?

I did the public school list. The ones our tax dollars support.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

beezzer

The Constitution says SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!

*Sorry. Had to get it out there before some progressive said it fir-. . . . wait, what?

Church of Satan?

Oh, then they're probably good with that.

Never mind.

No it does not say separation of church and state. And I see your knowledge of progressives is as good as your knowledge of the constitution.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by beezzer

By likening these Satanists to NAMBLA, are you sure that you aren't possibly judging this religion based on preconceived notions that you may have based on a character in your own personal religion? Maybe you should do some research into this religion before you start comparing them to an organization of pedophiles.

You are probably right though, there probably is more to this than meets the eye. Like Cuervo suggested, this is probably a ploy to trap the religious Christian right into either defending Satanism or looking like huge hypocrites.

I'm glad you posted a reply.

This is all about political correctness anymore.

Not only do you have to accept that they have a right, but also that you ENDORSE and LIKE what they have to say!

I used to be able to say, "Believe what you want!"

But now, if I don't endorse it in some way, then I can be labeled a hater because it is not enough anymore to just allow free expression, you also HAVE TO LIKE IT!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

beezzer

G0v0D47

beezzer

*Sorry. Had to get it out there before some progressive said it fir-. . . . wait, what?

Church of Satan?

Never mind.

Makes you wonder which is worse, A Satanic Temple offering or a Jesuit one lol
Either way, get ready for "Teach Children to Worship Satan" brochures in the near future, courtesy of NYC Co.

I'd be all for the Jesuit coming in and teaching.

I'm too old school to see the benefits of Church of Satan.

But then again, I'm an old fart.

Then your in luck lol look no further than Pop Frank, the only "good" Jesuit General there has ever been lol.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

buster2010

beezzer

Church of Satan?

Never mind.

No it does not say separation of church and state. And I see your knowledge of progressives is as good as your knowledge of the constitution.

Forgot to add the /sarc tag, but I figured most would have been smart enough to realize that.

Guess I was wrong.

Apologies.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I never told you that you had to like this particular religion, I just asked you to research it a bit more before you formed an opinion that consisted of comparing them to pedophiles. If I said all Christians were like child rapists, would you not think that was a gross misrepresentation of your religion and an unfair comparison? Of course, it is my right to hold that opinion just as it is your right to liken Satanists to pedophiles, but that doesn't make your opinion right, informed, or even close to reality. All I wanted of you was to possibly research your opinion a bit more before you formed it.

I'm not actually a Satanist, and if you read this article at face value, I don't support them trying to pass out religious propaganda. But I will certainly defend them if they are being unfairly slandered by someone who doesn't know any better.
edit on 14-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I don't think I'll ever find myself in a position where I have to defend Satanists.

I've spent the better part of 5 decades believing a certain way.

Guess that makes me closed minded and a hater to some, but I won't be friending any on facebook anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

76% Christian? I'm on the floor rolling around laughing... Hey next time you tell a joke make sure it's as funny as this one. Your country along with Europe are the only one's I know of who take a bible with them to war and then murder innocent people, you's are true Christian's if you believe you are I guess...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Interestingly, take a look at the text of this letter from their website "protectchildrenproject.com"

They're asking for volunteers from across the country to stand peaceably off school grounds and hand these out to kids on May 15. Looks to me like they're teaching kids about their Constitutional rights. Source:

Dear School Principal:
Please be advised that my sincerely held beliefs include preservation of body and mind from unwanted physical and psychological harm. Consistent with this, any form of physical punishment, including being hit, as well as any kind of psychological torture, including the use of solitary confinement or any kind of physical, mechanical, or chemical restraint, would explicitly violate my sincerely held beliefs.

Therefore, in order to preserve my civil rights and my right to freely exercise my deeply held beliefs, I respectfully request that you inform all teachers and faculty that they may not physically punish me or inflict any kind of pain. In addition, they may not subject me to conditions that involve psychological suffering such as placing me in solitary confinement or utilizing any form of physical restraint.

I hope this letter will assist you in understanding how important both the sanctity of the body and mind are and that these kinds of punishments would infringe on my civil rights and my right to religious freedom under the Constitution of the United States of America.

While I am confident that you will make sure that my beliefs are respected, it is worth noting that violently interfering with Constitutional rights and liberties is a criminal act that may be prosecuted by the US Department of Justice.

Sincerely,

And, Beezer, not for nothing, here are the "Seven Tenets of the Satanic Temple" ... Numbers 2 & 4 made me think of you ...

1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.

2.The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

3.One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forego your own.

5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.

6.People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.

7.Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

The Satanic Temple

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

Sounds a lot like the core principals I try to live by.

This should be interesting. Exposing hypocrisy and educating at the same time. I have heard people time and time again argue that people misunderstand the constitution, and that there is no problem with their religion being in schools. I am wondering what their response will be to this.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by Gryphon66

Sounds a lot like the core principals I try to live by.

This should be interesting. Exposing hypocrisy and educating at the same time. I have heard people time and time again argue that people misunderstand the constitution, and that there is no problem with their religion being in schools. I am wondering what their response will be to this.

I recited those tenets to an acquaintance of mine. As soon as I mentioned they had been established by a Satanic temple, he decided he didn't want to hear any more. It was a test, I will admit. And the results were highly discouraging. Mormons are willing to go door to door, disturbing our peace that they may get a good mark on their record, but no Christian will deign to hear the beliefs of the fearful Satanists.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well due this article, you either support these Satanists giving out their propaganda because you support Christians doing the same with bibles (defending them) or you say no they can't do that because of separation of church and state, but if you support giving out bibles as well then you are a huge hypocrite. If neither of these situations apply to you then carry about your business.

One more thing, maybe you should research the religion before you say you'll never defend them. You never know, maybe they believe things that may resonate with you. Luckily gryphon made it easy and you don't have to do much work and just read what he posted.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Satanism developed in the context of the Christian faith, as an ideological backlash to certain tenets promoted in Christianity. The character of Satan revered by Satanists, therefore, is mainly regarded as the prototypical anti-Christian figure.

en.wikipedia.org...

Since this religious faith is basically the antithesis of what I believe in, not going to be a fan of this ball team.

No matter what they say.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by beezzer

Well due this article, you either support these Satanists giving out their propaganda because you support Christians doing the same with bibles (defending them) or you say no they can't do that because of separation of church and state, but if you support giving out bibles as well then you are a huge hypocrite. If neither of these situations apply to you then carry about your business.

YOU may consider me a huge hypocrite.

That is your right.

I will not support them though.

Sorry.

I would entertain passing out bibles, but would not support a faith that stems from the "anti" of what I believe.

I don't see hypocricy, simply because of what Satanists believe in.

Would you support NAMBLA opening a daycare center?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

beezzer

Satanism developed in the context of the Christian faith, as an ideological backlash to certain tenets promoted in Christianity. The character of Satan revered by Satanists, therefore, is mainly regarded as the prototypical anti-Christian figure.

en.wikipedia.org...

Since this religious faith is basically the antithesis of what I believe in, not going to be a fan of this ball team.

No matter what they say.

Basing your whole opinion on a religion off of a small blurb you found on Wikipedia... I'd call that the religious equivalent to judging a book by its cover.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What does an organization that believes men should be able to have sex with little boys, have to do with satanism?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

beezzer

Krazysh0t
reply to post by beezzer

YOU may consider me a huge hypocrite.

That is your right.

I will not support them though.

Sorry.

I would entertain passing out bibles, but would not support a faith that stems from the "anti" of what I believe.

I don't see hypocricy, simply because of what Satanists believe in.

Would you support NAMBLA opening a daycare center?

There you go with that NAMBLA reference again... NAMBLA isn't a religion, first and foremost. Secondly they advocate something that is illegal. Neither of these things apply to Satanism.

How can you not see the hypocrisy in you being against one religion handing out their religious propaganda on grounds of separation of church and state, but be ok with handing out your religion's propaganda? Does separation of church and state only apply to the religions you dont agree with?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join