It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell brand new youtube series 'the trews' - Absolutely destroys the medium of newspapers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This thread is mainly to draw attention to this brilliant new series Brand is doing daily at the moment on youtube. It's called 'the trews' (looking at the media in a more truthful light 'true news'). He basically spends half of his time dissecting the odd emotional landscape that are current (usually Murdoch owned) newspapers. What he is basically doing is pointing out what the average Joes reaction to reading these papers, and how then are sold based on fear, creating boundaries between people, and deifying celebrities as modern archetypal gods of the print age.

There are a lot of these videos, so I really don't know which one to link to first. If you can get over the fact that Brand is very very excitable, and EXTREMELY quick, then the things he are saying are not just funny but actually rather profound.

One of his recent ones, where he asks most the UK classic comedy series never mind the buzzcocks Simon Amstell to join him, banrds so quick I don't think Simon really knows what to do (but is still brilliant)

And this is a short one of his actually making some very series points about how the media objectivifies people following the death of Peaches Geldof, you can tell he really is upset about the news, and so makes some very good heartfelt points about the over-hold of the mainstream medias corporatcracy.

These vids are going SERIOUSLY viral if you check out the rating:view ratio.

Thoughts?

edit on 13-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The full playlist can be seen here

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Thanks for linking these, a friend had told me about them and I had forgotten to go and check them out. I have always thought that Russell Brand was funny and extremely eloquent, its only in the last year that I've actually started to admire him for coming out on a "crusade" of enlightenment if you like. He is a very interesting individual and a lot of what he says resonates with me

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Thankfully someone else who's awake directed me to them. Very very funny and poignant thought provoking stuff.

I have to admit..for years I absolutely hated the guy.. but now... I want to have his babies.. and I'm a straight man.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Please link to your favorite video in the series and explain why it is, I have a feeling this will be a long thread.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is one of my favorites. He talks about how the issue of immigration is pretty much just topped up by the out-dated print media (and probably the TV media too now)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just like that insidious program - Have I got News for you - he teaches people to laugh at what should actualy make them angry!
Until he stops teaching people to laugh, I'll continue to beleive he's a plant working for tptb.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Just like that insidious program - Have I got News for you - he teaches people to laugh at what should actualy make them angry!
Until he stops teaching people to laugh, I'll continue to beleive he's a plant working for tptb.

How could he be working for tptb when he is essentially exposing their most perceptually warping method of control, and in an open, honest and funny way?

Anything productive now on what he is actually saying? I'd rather this conversation took a productive vector rather than descend into subjective hyperbole.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That's an interesting way to look at it. Also an angle that I'd never really approached things from. I am seriously into satire and comedy and spend most nights watching something or another. I find a lot of comedians though are very switched on to the wrongs of the world.

I didn't actually find too much of this series was trying to be too funny.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Youtube pulls so many videos these days for the most stupid of reasons that I cannot help but ask why it has no competition and they also cook the number of viewings.

"Education and Media"

I'm not so sure that's true when it comes to YT but it's good if you want to see some comedy

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

I agree strongly with his view that the media describe things in certain ways, approach subjects as to provoke a reaction!
I've been saying this for years and you only have to do the same as Brand and pick up a Tabloid and give it a scan.

I work in a very stereotypical working mans environment "oi oi" and I can see those of us who are able to take the tabloid press for what it is and even laugh at it's ridiculousness and sadly a large section of others who comment exactly how the writers intended them to.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What a wonderful find!

I watched several of the videos and was taken aback by how intelligent this man appears. It is nice to see someone using their celebrity for something positive. Brand seems to be going out of his way to wake people up and create a more positive future for all of us.

Kudos OP.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

ZeuZZ

VoidHawk

How could he be working for tptb when he is essentially exposing their most perceptually warping method of control, and in an open, honest and funny way?

Anything productive now on what he is actually saying? I'd rather this conversation took a productive vector rather than descend into subjective hyperbole.

Go talk to anyone who's watched - Have I got news for you. Talk to them about something that was discussed on the show and you'll see the big smile grow across their face, and yet the subject matter ought to make them very angry! Thats the entire purpose of the show, It dissarms the viewer!

Brand is doing the same thing!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Not sure whether I buy Russell Brand's act. I mean, he comes off as genuine enough, and certainly has never said anything that would make me seriously doubt his spiritual side.

But then, he's got that giant "33" tattooed on the underside of his left wrist. So I'm not entirely certain who he's working for.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

JonButtonIII
So I'm not entirely certain who he's working for.

I think you are, your just hoping its not true

He's one of them, look how the msm built him up into what he is now, and look at what he's now doing! He's gathering up all the people who're not happy with the way things are, and he's teaching them to laugh at it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
the only reason anyone knows who russel brand is,
is trashy tabloid newspapers.

theres a fine line between intelligent and irritating.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

VoidHawk

He's one of them, look how the msm built him up into what he is now, and look at what he's now doing! He's gathering up all the people who're not happy with the way things are, and he's teaching them to laugh at it.

Don't worry. Be happy.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well, to be honest, i have an easier time listening to Alex Jones.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

NthOther

VoidHawk

Don't worry. Be happy.

Worry is just a misuse of imagination, it's totally pointless.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Would you apply that logic to George Carlin? He made people laugh, including me, growing up. Yet, you could argue today that he is a modern day prophet.

We are all on the same team. Those we should be picking apart is those who teach, say, and manipulate people with:

War is Peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join