It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Demonstrate Three-Way Quantum Communication: What's Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

ChefSlug

They keep coming up with proofs of various quantum phenomena and new magnetic theories and how nebula act because of dark matter, the definitely need to update the world of physics, but think of all the schools that would have to get new textbooks.

I'm not quite following you here. The updating of textbooks is done by private companies and does not in any way influence scientific research.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Are there any simple theory as to how quantum entanglement may be possible or works? The truest sense of the term instantaneous would imply, if one were to hypothetically have the objective knowledge and perspective of the entangled particles, regardless of distance, 1000 miles, or 1000 trillion miles, as one entangled particle was turned/observed as it was doing so, its entangled counterpart was also being turned/observed, as if they were attached, as if they were the same thing in the same space, as if they were entangled. Is there any theory on what this may mean particles are? How and why they might work this way? What does this say about the nature of space? What are the theories on how this changes our perspective and understanding of fundamental nature?
edit on 13-4-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

ChefSlug
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

The article works for me.

Transfer of information might be misleading itself. The way quantum communication works is mirroring. If particle A is spinning clockwise, no matter the distance particle B will be spinning clockwise. In this article particle C is spinning clockwise as well. Then when particle A is made to spin counter-clockwise, faster than it would take for the light reflecting off particle A to travel to particle B, the particle B is spinning counter-clockwise.

So the information is being passed here on what quantum state the particle is in. The particles mirror each other and change simultaneously. When one is changed the second and third change exactly the same time, with no delay.

So for you no information may be passing because you're looking for Heartbleed information. For everyone else it is.
edit on 1342014 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

Yes I hear what you are saying and if it was that simple then spinning particle A clockwise could set a bit to zero and spinning it
counter-clockwise could set the bit to one and they would have demonstrated this if they could but I think the wool has been pulled over your eyes.

From my understanding all they can do is entangle a pair of particles in the same way as a pair of shoes is entangled and if I posted you a left hand shoe then faster than the speed of light you would know I still have hold of a right hand shoe if you opened the box.

Please do correct me if I am wrong but I looked into this for a whole day and that was the conclusion that I came to and I really did try to get to the bottom of this.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Jukiodone
Quantum states being "probably the same" in 3 locations simultaneously is a natural phenomenon so does not further the quest for FTL information transfer one "bit" .

Until someone finds a way to encode information into the spin state (probably impossible but if possible -might be limited to planck sized chunks of data) Quantum computing is just something used by pop sci writers to generate interest.
Good, at least one person gets it. There are practical implications for quantum cryptography, and while certain aspects of the cryptography do have a faster than light aspect, the verification aspect isn't faster than light so it's really not a FTL breakthrough. It may however be the only kind of cryptography that organizations such as the NSA are incapable of breaking.

The article says what the application is, and you apparently read the article, but for those who didn't, here's the application mentioned:

The researchers say they could use this new ability to distribute quantum keys — which unlock encrypted data — or for "quantum secret sharing." According to Erven, "This is the first experiment where you can now imagine a network of people connected in different ways using the correlations between three or more photons."
Notice they don't say the application is people communicating with each other over this network faster than light. The application is encryption and decryption.

EasyPleaseMe
If the former is true then physics is going to need a major overhaul.
You can't trust what science writers say, because often they don't even understand the science themselves. It may be way over their heads and they don't understand it, or they may be incapable of explaining it clearly in layman's terms, or both. At least they got the application correct, but too many people get bamboozled by the "faster than light communication" claim which is misleading. If you stretch the definition of the word "communication" to something beyond everyday use, we can say the claim is not a complete lie, however if we use communication in a more typical fashion like your grandma sending you her recipe faster than light, then it's a false claim.

Faster than light

Certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as quantum entanglement, might give the superficial impression of allowing communication information faster than light. According to the no-communication theorem these phenomena do not allow true communication; they only let two observers in different locations see the same system simultaneously, without any way of controlling what either sees.
That brings some clarity to the effect and so far nobody has proven the "no-communication theorem" false, including the topic of this thread. That doesn't mean it will never happen though theory suggests that possibility, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't think any physics needs any overhaul as a result of this experiment.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What an awesome news and find. Thank you! (S+F)

They set up two entangled photons 10 miles apart, then observed how fast a change of state in one would register in the other. The result, according to their paper, was 10,000 times the speed of light.

If this happens to work on any distance, at 10K times the speed of light would mean possible normal telephone/date conversation between earth and mars at its farthest distance (~410 million km), where today radio takes 22 1/2 minutes for radio signal to travel just in one direction, making it impracticable in case of emergency.

Wonder what kind of instrument was able to record real speed. Just mind blowing...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
** duplicated post, mod, please delete **

edit on 14-4-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

Reminds me of astroengineer and my first thread. Here

Three words: utah data center

top topics

<< 1   >>

join