It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoyed with the entertainment industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
How many times have you seen a new movie or TV show advertised in a way that makes it look like something groundbreaking or exciting?…Then you watch it and it is nothing like the ad had described.
The publicity departments and ad agencies seem to know what people want to see. “Teasers” is a term used to describe movie trailers… Stop teasing and make better shows.

Seems like the producers, directors, script writers…..all involved would notice what the promotional side of the industry has to spin to make the show seem interesting to watch.

Thinking bad TV shows will surely die fast, like Honey BOOBOO….they get season after season. I don’t watch them but I used to suffer the constant ads for them. DVR, glad I have one, got it about two months ago. Now I record anything I wish to watch now just to skip commercials.

The most disturbing thing I have noticed lately, people I know and thought were fairly intelligent people talking about these shows. Having been asked if I had seen Duck Dynasty or some other fake reality show. Often when I say no, they fill me in. They laugh and describe the antics. Wrestling fans used to be the apex of people I avoided a long conversation with. Now it is almost everyone.

I understand that there is not much else on, watch TV for a week and you have seen everything new for at least a month. When I was a child I would get up Saturday morning, turn on cartoons, and see the same ones over and over. After I a while I stopped turning on the TV and just hit the road on my bicycle. On occasional rainy days I would sit down and think, I will watch some TV. Turn on Scooby Doo and it was the exact same episode that I watched the last time I watched Scooby Doo.

I started reading more and more as a child, the habit grew over the years until I had read most everything in my span of interest. Reading into subjects I do not care for has expanded my thinking a bit, but it is very hard to find a readable book these days. I do not like to read fiction, though I have and will from time to time. Fiction is what TV and movies are for IMO.

News channels, people arguing to prove their stupidity on one network, others focus on one story all day everyday for weeks at times. Trayvon Martin ended television news for me, yes it was a major story…Surely it was not the only thing happening in the world. I logged onto my computer, read the news and yes…THERE WAS other news.

Seeing the educational channels turning into fake reality channels annoys me, I assume there must be less people wanting to learn anything of value and the networks are feeding the demand that pays the bills. Other networks like MTV and MTV2 seldom show music related programs at all now. I call MTV the Rob Dyrdek network. He is always on… several different shows… when I look at the guide.

In a way it has been a good thing, kept me from sitting in front of the tube most of my life. Recently I have had physical issues that keep me from being very active after work. So….the internet is where I spend my down time.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Speculation

“Teasers” is a term used to describe movie trailers… Stop teasing and make better shows.

Government, military, religious, and politically correct organizations abound. Through all of them making their individual demands upon creativity in film and media, the good directors and writers are stymied into silence.

So we get what we see now… drivel. You want good entertainment you have to go back and find movies that were made before this new Paradigm.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hell, I think that Duck Dynasty is one of the few shows out there today that is good and I don't believe that it is as scripted as you think. Most of the rest of what's on Tee Vee is perverted trash. How SNL has stayed on is beyond me. A lot of these shows keep getting cancelled because no one is watching, but somehow the same people keep getting new shows - like Chelsea Handler. But I agree that TV is horrible. Same with most of the music.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I respect your opinion on DD, however, I beg to disagree. I grew out a beard recently, and DD was all I heard about. I then decided that since I had never seen it, I had better find out what these people were talking about.

I watched one episode and was astonished that it was able to stay on air. OK, I get it, a lot of Americans like to hunt, and are a little 'back woods'. In fact, I have grown up in an area of Illinois where some of the best deer hunting can be done, and many family members go every year to hunt different game. The show however is just a bunch of guys goofing off. If I wanted to see that, I could go to any one of my friends houses.

The entertainment on television has disappeared. I used to enjoy shows like 'The Universe' or other semi-educational shows, and now the only real option is Cosmos. Even that is geared more for younger people.

The only option in my opinion is Internetainment.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Speculation

T.V. programming is not for you...or me. Its to sell products. Thats it. None of the networks, channels or production facilities that produce "entertainment"...does it for that reason: to entertain.

The whole goal is to hook us with the most entertaining and interesting, ridiculous and far out advertising of worthless programs so youll be either intrigued to watch...or pissed off to watch. Doesnt matter. As long as you watch. (That exposes the commercial products they are selling by contracts to companies and products they want us to buy, or to patronize.)

Also...dont confuse your mention of "demand" for quality educational programming for reality. Its as fake as a reality tv show. Everything...news, shows, movies, educational programming...is bought, produced and paid for for sales of some kind by the "sponsors". Its never for us.

So when folks get ticked off at some favorite show getting cancelled and the attitude of "We should all write letters to keep this great show..." You know the rest.They dont care...and it takes millions of dollars to make and create shows...and if we arent buying the products on them...a good show we think should be kept on...goes the way of Duck Dynasty (As long as we patronize the sponsors on THAT show.)
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I used Duck Dynasty as an example, I have only seen one episode...Living in the south around people that hunt I hear about it all the time. The reason I feel it is a scripted "Fake Reality" show...
The episode I happened to see was about beef jerky. They decided to make their own and brought out a very expensive dehydrator. They ruined the batch because one of the men used a petroleum product to clean it and the fumes and residue still inside when they used it. Knowing these men are supposed to be avid hunters and make a living from sales of hunting equipment it stands to reason the are well aware of how to cure meat. It is hunting 101.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So you want teasers to change to reflect more accurately what the show is really about?

"Hey, honey! I just saw a teaser about Noah."

"How does it look?"

"There isn't an ark. No animals. Noah is a wussy guy with a hammer. There's no action and no flood. They're just sitting around a table talking at Starbucks."

"Guess we can skip it then."

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Speculation
I used Duck Dynasty as an example, I have only seen one episode...Living in the south around people that hunt I hear about it all the time. The reason I feel it is a scripted "Fake Reality" show...
The episode I happened to see was about beef jerky. They decided to make their own and brought out a very expensive dehydrator. They ruined the batch because one of the men used a petroleum product to clean it and the fumes and residue still inside when they used it. Knowing these men are supposed to be avid hunters and make a living from sales of hunting equipment it stands to reason the are well aware of how to cure meat. It is hunting 101.

The duck Dynasty guy that had the gay controversy thing said the show is very scripted.

I say give up the TV. We have Netflix and we have some of our favorite movies on DVD and don't watch TV.
To find something of value on TV now is really difficult, the news is certainly not telling us anything, maybe the weather channel....

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Speculation

Seems like the producers, directors, script writers…..all involved would notice what the promotional side of the industry has to spin to make the show seem interesting to watch.

Disgusted with the state of the entertainment industry?

Change it! With the technology available almost anyone can produce a TV show, movie, webisode etc.

Instead of whining on the internet, join us in the change you seek.

You can start here.....

www.celtx.com...

and for further instruction you can join your cable access channel and have gear, talent and help in producing your ideas.

accesschannel.com...

You can also make serious money as a news stringer or making commercials for local businesses plus making films for film festivals is so much fun. And you can hire out to other producers making everything from socially relevant documentaries, indy feature films to reality show trash TV.

In just a few short years my productions have gained national screening...join us!

Also "teasers" are used for marketing a production that is chasing money to make the feature or show.

edit on 13-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here is my solution to your frustration, since I share your pain:

1) I don't watch TV
2) I wait til movies come out on Redbox, so if it sucks, I am only out $1.20.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I haven't bothered with television since 2007; any movie, TV show or documentary I want to watch I just watch it on vodly or watchseries for free! That way I don't have to shell out money for cable, theater tickets etc. when it's just going to get wasted on another billionaire director's gold-plated helicopter.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
gave that up long time ago, since I got myself a Roku! That sleek small black box covers pretty much everything.

No More blasting ad's, and plenty of choices if ones even broke! So you might get an ad every 15min's during the movie, sometimes you don't. Best part is TV has the same old movies, and what is being shown could just watch on netflix or some other paid movie plugin.

News if one wants too, weather, sports and even cooking, take your pick! Plus is say the you have to pause, it there where you left off on most chanels!

Cable should be tossed in the trash, has nothing to offer and your just paying to see ad's anyway!

Peace

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
i gave up watching television years ago why do you think it is called programming educate-yourself.org...

it is just another drug for society to get hooked on

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

edit on 13-4-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join