It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice concerning the neighbors dog.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I live in a duplex, the neighbors have 3 dogs. One is as sweet as can be, one can be somewhat annoying because he often barks for long periods of timeout of boredom, but he isn't the problem.
Their 3rd dog is the dog from hell. The 3rd dog is a chihuahua mix. When I get out of my car to go into my house this dog will run up to me growling and snapping like it is going to attack. That isn't even the problem because all I have to do is stomp my foot and firmly say no and it runs away screaming. No, the problem is that when the owners are gone the dog yelps and howls as if it is in pain all day long to the point of driving us into insanity. I can't take it anymore. The owner herself is a psycho woman so we can't even have a civil discussion with her about it.

When they first moved in, I did think the dog was in pain. However many months later there has been no improvement.
Imagine the sound a dog with a broken leg makes, that is what it sounds like. And it doesn't stop. Consistent barking can be annoying but nothing compared to the sound this dog makes. If it only lasted a few minutes, that would be fine, but it is all day every day and many times at night or early morning when we are trying to sleep. My nerves are shot. Calls to the landlord have done nothing, and they refuse to open the door for police or animal control. (Illegal substance users) Moving right now (in the next few days) is not an option. Though it may happen with in the year.

When my husband is at work, I tend to keep my ear buds in, but that is not logical to do all the time.

Any advice is welcome. If this was ordinary barking I wouldn't even be writing this. Dogs bark, its a fact of life. This is necrotic yelping because the dog can't stand for the owners to be gone.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
In my more "a-hole" days, I was a bit ruthless.

I had neighbors that shared a wall, and would fight and copulate at all hours, at full volume.

It got tiresome.

So, what I did, was the following.

I took my sound system and powered sub, removed all the speakers, leaving the sub.

Positioned it against their bedroom wall.

When ever I knew they where asleep, after a session of fightin and copulation.

Id crank dub step, when anyone complained I stopped.

Aimed properly, and surrounding the sub with pillows accept for the wall really helped.

Just a suggestion, OUT annoy them.

ETA:

Also, you could try using that same method to train the dog to shut up, every time he barks crank it.
edit on 12-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I would say if it really does bother you that much, catch the owners doing something illegal and tape it.

edit on 12-4-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure where you live but in Australia if we have a problem with a neighbours dog barking at all times of the day/night we contact the local council and they send someone out to speak with the owner. If nothing improves then they just keep getting fined over and over every time the dog is going off and someone makes a complaint.

Eventually the owner is sick of the complaints and fines and they end up dealing with the animal. When I say dealing with it I mean training or something like that.... Not 'dealing' with it.... Lol

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Isn't there a device you can buy that has a high pitched sound that only animals can hear to keep vermin away, maybe that will help ?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My husband has suggested that. I guess I am to nice, but it might come down to that.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

scrog77
Isn't there a device you can buy that has a high pitched sound that only animals can hear to keep vermin away, maybe that will help ?

I have pets myself so I worry about the effects it would have on my own, Doesn't it hurt their ears? As I mentioned, they do have one super sweet dog, I wouldn't to hurt that dog along with my own pets. (cats and ferrets)

Edit to add that I am in the U.S.
edit on 12-4-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Our neighbor's dog is the same. She barked when they were not home... constantly. When they were home, she stopped. After a while it dawned on us that they honestly didn't understand the severity of it so we approached them again about it after we were dog-sitting for them.

When we went over to feed her, we brought over our boombox and put on NPR. She totally stopped. Since then, they've tried different things that usually work for a while. Every few days, she'll start up again and we let them know and then they switch up their tactics again and it will be okay again for a while.

It's a bummer that you can't have a reasonable conversation with that dog's owner because it might be as simple as leaving the TV on for her or shutting the blinds (sometimes they are just barking at crap they see out the windows).

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Me too. I would love to be able to have a civil conversation with them. If it was just barking I could probably tolerate it more, but it sounds more like a dog in pain than barking.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Dog whistle.
Buy one, and whenever it barks, use it. it will eventually realize that the annoying sound comes from barking and will stop the behavior...

For more advanced version...

Just remember though, your not trying to drive the dog nuts or hurt em..just teach it to not bark randomly.

Pity you can't simply talk to the neighbor and suggest a anti-bark collar

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, we are headed to the pet store now to look into a whistle. I really do worry about it hurting the other pets though.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm guessing if you live in a complex, you aren't the only one being bothered by this. Have you talked to the other neighbors? Maybe if you all get your complaints together to present to the landlord or dog owner?

I feel your pain though, I've had a couple bouts with ignorant neighbors and their dogs barking on and on and on. What makes me madder is when you do call the authorities, they basically just show up for show and give you 10 dumb*** reasons on why they can't do anything.

One other thought is to record it and maybe take it to the local news? Sometimes that can be effective.

Or, you can try my trick and that was I posted signs around the neighborhood that a dog abuser lived at such and such address. It stopped pretty quickly after that. Then again I had pictures of the poor dog left out in the snow etc., but still worth a try. Nothing gets people up in arms quicker than a animal abuser and people will demand to know why something isn't done. Never know what else you might catch in the net when others start paying attention or have to pay attention...and, the beauty of that is you can remain under the radar.

Keep in mind, this can't be healthy for the dog either. It has to be a strain on it in some compacity.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I feel your pain. I have been in your shoes. I would tell you what to do but its not what I'd even do. Not even what I'd like to do, although it is what would solve the problem. But nobody on here would wanna hear that... Im just airing my feelings from my own experience. Once again. I know exactly how you feel and Im sorry for what your going through.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

calstorm
Well, we are headed to the pet store now to look into a whistle. I really do worry about it hurting the other pets though.

Go and get yourself the dog silencer pro. I purchased one online and it saved me from complete madness that I endured for over 2 years. The U.S Military uses them in Iraq and Afghanistan to keep their barking dogs from alerting enemies while scouting or in camp. They run around $100, but you have to ask yourself how much is your peace of mind worth to you? Make sure you order the plug cord with it so you don't blow money on batteries.

It comes with a remote control that you can use anytime, or it has a setting that is activated whenever the pest barks. There is a silent ultra sound setting that only canines can hear, or an even higher pitch sound that humans can hear. There is a sensitivity setting as well. Don't fall for the cheaper brands, this thing is the real deal.

Now just one question, is the dog barking outside on a balcony, or are you hearing the barking through the wall? ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It's part Chihuahua, it's going through separation anxiety. Sorry, there's nothing you can do.

I feel your pain though, trust me.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

scrog77

Yes...yes there is!

I am a lover of dogs but, have encountered issues with neighbor dogs over the years and have used this as a method to remedy the problematic situation.

Sadly, it is only a temporary.

From my experience, they eventually become immune to the high pitch sound.

Just my experience though.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It doesn't seem as though you have very many options without bringing harm, perhaps you should move. That won't solve anything either though...scratch that...if it were me, I would set a trap for the annoying dog and turn it in to the nearest pound...nah, they would probably charge you with dog napping...hmmm...have you tried talking to the dog? Maybe a little dog whisperer action? Just explain to the little creature how annoying her yipping and yapping is...they do have medication for ADHD, maybe you could purchase a dosage and give it to the owner in an anonymous mailing...really, short of bombarding this owner with litigious complaints I think you will continue to have this problem no matter what you do, until the dog dies...the owner dies, the owner moves, you move..., a raging fire forces you all to move, a tornado wipes out the entire neighborhood, a hurricane....gee having that little yapper might not be so bad afterall.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Just call the police about something non related. When the dog comes out to growl at them, they will shoot it. Police like to shoot people's dogs. Problem solved...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Nothing like giving them a piece of their own medicine! That's one way of putting your point across without getting into an argument with the neighbors.
I would think most neighbors can put two and two together and realize why you're blasting your speakers, but than again some neighbors can be just plain ignorant.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

WeRpeons
reply to post by benrl

Nothing like giving them a piece of their own medicine! That's one way of putting your point across without getting into an argument with the neighbors.
I would think most neighbors can put two and two together and realize why you're blasting your speakers, but than again some neighbors can be just plain ignorant.

Heh, it was down right Pavlovian training those neighbors, make to much noise, super low frequency rumble, not loud, but knock things off shelf levels of vibration.

I remember the first week I loaded up on caffeine and eagerly awaited their shenanigans, the first three times we did it my Room mate went next door and banged on the door yelling at them to knock the weird vibration off.

The land lord caught me one time cause he happened to be there, and they where arguing over "that the pipes where fed and he needed to fix it" I didn't hear him I thought they where just fighting, I did it and he showed up at my door.

He laughed and told me to keep it up, he wanted them gone too.

They stopped making noise after the first week or so though.
edit on 12-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join