It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Falklands military exercises 'provoke' Argentina

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why is Argentina even bothered about what the Brits do 300miles out at sea on there own island?

Argentina was under Spanish colonial control when the English and French landed on these un inhabited rock, it's just no seen it is always used as a political tool in Argentina nothing more

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Biigs
And what does the Falklands contribute to the British economy wise? Hell anything wise?

Why does it have to contribute anything? The fact it is British territory and has British people should be enough.

To answer your question, they contribute little economic wise, but I think that's a moot point.

However, if one is looking for another reason other than the simple fact it is our island, holding onto them makes our case for Antarctic claims that much stronger....Without the Falklands and South Georgia, we have no claim.

Either way, they are certainly not Argentine and if it wasn't for all their blustering, we wouldn't be making any fuss at all. It's them making the noise over those rocks, not us. If they had any sense, they'd have taken up our offer to share the Oil wealth 50/50 - which we are under no obligation to do so I might add, we did it to try and be fair with them.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc

Biigs
Oh god not this again.

I dont even know why we, the British even want the bloody Falklands so bad.

But yeah the Argentine are a weird sort, they tend to overreact, i guess they are all just bored hehehe

The oil and the multi million pound fishing industry is why were fighting over it i think. Nothing to do with the islanders.

Oh dear - not the old "Oil" argument..

Any wealth generated by the possible Oil extraction is going to be kept by the Falklands Government and it's people - the UK won't make any money off it like the North Sea oil. If anything, it might just mean that they might be asked to contribute towards the Military presence there which protects them, but that is it.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 18731542

The Argentines have an even worse Military than last time - even now with our cuts, the entire of South America couldn't muster a fleet big enough to take on the RN or land troops there, much less Argentina.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pookle

Pookle. You are trying to make things the same when they are not. Spain playing games over Gibraltar has no similarities over the a small exercise on a British Overseas Territories a few hundred miles from Argentina.

Regards

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

pookle

paraphi

pookle
Ironic, they cry about Russia's exercises being bad, but when the UK holds exercises in contested terratory, its good.

I think it is a matter of scale and circumstance.

The Russian exercise involves 100,000 troops and half their air-force in an area of intense political difficulty. That is bad are rightly perceived as threatening and posturing .

The UK exercise involves some clay pigeon shooting and a race in kayaks, as well as being routine. It is not bad and effects no one.

The Argentineans are just full of hot air, distortions and crap. A distraction from dire domestic problems.

Regards

Ahh it's all ok then. The argentinean don't see it as a political difficulty.

Same for the DMZ between Gibralter and Spain too then. Thats all fine and dandy when Spain puts up extra checkpoints
Britain shouldn't argue about that then too.

I just see it for what it is, hypocracy, no dancing around words and a handbag, it is HYPOCRACY.

edit on 12-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

Lol a "DMZ" demilitarised zone really? That's the first time anybody has ever called it that or does it even remotely resemble one

There's only Spanish hypocrisy as far as those educated on the matter are concerned

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by stumason

I was wondering if Russia's actions in Crimea might cause other countries to press their own luck with territorial disputes. Like Argentina using force to retake the islands (hypothetical I know).

On the flip side they might be using the Crimean issue to support their claims on the Falkland Islands.

The problem with that is, Russia held a referendum to establish if the Crimean people wanted to go back to Russia, which they did.

This had already taken place on the Falkland Islands some time ago and the islanders voted to stay with the UK, so it would be impossible for Argentina to use the events in Crimea to further their false claims.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Trueman
Of course the people from Falklands wants to be part of your kingdom, most of Falkland Islanders are British descendants. But they don't love your queen (who does?),

Plenty "love the Queen", actually. She consistently has opinion poll ratings that any Politician would murder for.

A rather sweeping statement there though concerning the Islanders. Have you ever been and spoken to any of them? Have you ever lived there? They don't "love the Queen"? I think you'll find they are a patriotic lot and probably more so than many of the whiners, scroungers and deadbeats we have here.

Perhaps we should stick to the facts, instead of hyperbole and BS?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pookle

What DMZ is this between Spain and Gibraltar?

There isn't one.... What was your point?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

stumason

Trueman
Of course the people from Falklands wants to be part of your kingdom, most of Falkland Islanders are British descendants. But they don't love your queen (who does?),

Plenty "love the Queen", actually. She consistently has opinion poll ratings that any Politician would murder for.

Perhaps we should stick to the facts, instead of hyperbole and BS?

I remember a thread where I asked british members about their queen, many don't like her. You should stick that ....

Look, she is part of the elite and you are ATS member, something is wrong with you if you love her.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

stumason

Biigs
And what does the Falklands contribute to the British economy wise? Hell anything wise?

Why does it have to contribute anything? The fact it is British territory and has British people should be enough.

To answer your question, they contribute little economic wise, but I think that's a moot point.

Hahaha...., since when the british government (or any other) does things for free.
edit on 12-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

For 13 years, the British Government handed out money like it was growing on trees and actively encouraged people to stay at home and not work!

Seriously though, we hand out Billions in aid every year and get little to nothing back, we've spent billions defending an island with barely 3,000 people on and got little to nothing back - not that we even ask. It's a bit cynical to say they never do anything for free.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Biigs
Oh god not this again.

I dont even know why we, the British even want the bloody Falklands so bad.

But yeah the Argentine are a weird sort, they tend to overreact, i guess they are all just bored hehehe

The people of the Falkland Islands are British citizens. What's next? Give up London and it's British citizens to Italy as Rome used to rule it 2000 years ago? No dig at Israel there lol

If you are a British citizen and want to remain British then what's the issue with the Islands remaining British?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I'm an ATS member, I'm British and I have high respect for the Royal family.

The problem is too many people believe everything they read on the internet without doing their own research.

The Royals suck the wealth out of the country;

The Royals are German;

The Royals are members of some elite organisation hell bent on enslaving the world and it's people;

All a load of rubbish spouted by the paranoid and republicans.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Trueman
I remember a thread where I asked british members about their queen, many don't like her. You should stick that ....

Ah, the scientific study that is an ATS thread......

Opinion polls and the celebrations, crowds and feelings of goodwill towards her maj during the Queens Jubilee, however, tell an entirely different story!

Trueman
Look, she is part of the elite and you are ATS member, something is wrong with you if you love her.

So because I am on ATS, I must assume she is a blood-sucking reptile? I happen to think most of the Royals are good people, unlike the twats we have sitting in the Common's who run the country.

And before you even begin on the "scrounger" angle many take, the cost of the Monarchy is around £40 million and that comes out of money generated by the Crown Estate - not one penny of taxpayer money is spent, whereas Parliament costs almost £500 million a year and all comes out of the Treasury, ie taxpayer money..

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I wouldn't be king or queen..they are slaves to the British public..They represent our history, our character as a nation..Mascots if you like.
They bring in more money than it costs us and have no power at all and If they ever got enough power we the British people would do what we did to Charles I.
On ATS you are bound to have the British members here in the majority of disliking the royals but in the UK they are very popular.
I used to hate them until I understood what a life our queen leads and she is doing a great job, they also can give the nation a boost by weddings and such cos we get a free holiday and a great big piss up

Back to the topic...

Argentina didn't even exist before we had fellow Brits working that barren land, Brits have lived there and worked the land for many generations and are proud to be British, I had family in the first war and each one told me while horrid they did the right thing for a people who were invaded and protected them because they are Brits and the Falklands is British soil.
It will not come down to anything because one of our Typhoons could destroy their whole air force so it is all just hot air.
Never will the British people give up the Falklands and we have no need to do so, we have even been the decent people here and offered the Argies a 50/50 split on the natural resources...no they want it all when it has never been theirs anyhow.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

stumason
reply to post by pookle

What DMZ is this between Spain and Gibraltar?

There isn't one.... What was your point?

upload.wikimedia.org...

Unlike you obviously I HAVE BEEN TO GIBRALTAR

There IS INDEED a Neutral Zone buffer between Gibraltar and Spain.

You can see it here..
upload.wikimedia.org...

More info here..
en.wikipedia.org...

Even if some consider it former, in all intents and purposes, it exists.

I have personally walked across it you also have to walk on the runway to get into the rock.

The area is still hotly disputed, never ever ever mention Gibraltar when dining with Spanish guests.

The place is a gateway to the African contenent via Morocco.

edit on 12-4-2014 by spookier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by spookier

Like you said, former, which means no longer, does not exist, isn't there etc etc.... The map's you linked are "historic" maps. You are, of course, aware what historic means?

That's like saying the Rhineland is a DMZ - it isn't.

As for "hotly disputed", only by the Spanish and it is highly hypocritical considering they have two exclaves in Morocco.

EDIT: I have been to Gibraltar as I have also been to the Falklands, just so you know.
edit on 12/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

stumason

The Argentines have an even worse Military than last time - even now with our cuts, the entire of South America couldn't muster a fleet big enough to take on the RN or land troops there, much less Argentina.

Ahem - you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried: en.mercopress.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

AngryCymraeg

stumason

Ahem - you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried: en.mercopress.com...

There is only one possible reply

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join