It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Falklands military exercises 'provoke' Argentina

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Britain has been accused of provoking Argentina with plans to hold military exercises in the Falkland Islands.

Argentina said next week's drills would include missile launches and were part of a "pattern" of "hostile acts".

The British ambassador in Buenos Aires has been summoned by Argentina's deputy foreign minister, who will protest over the "new show of military force".

But the UK Foreign Office dismissed the claims as "fanciful" and said the exercises were merely routine.

Argentina lays claim to the islands, which are known to it as Las Malvinas, and said the UK planned to conduct the exercises on "occupied Argentine territory" between 14 and 27 April.

UK Falklands military exercises 'provoke' Argentina

It seems the Argentines have pretty much lost the plot with regards to the Falklands now.

Recently, they have claimed we are "breaking treaties" and placing nuclear weapons on the islands - which is false by the way - and accused us of "breaking UN resolutions" with regards to the islands sovereignty - when no such binding resolutions exist - they have also said we are building a NATO base there and now we're "provoking" them by holding exercises, that are held every year.

When will they get it into their heads that this is a non-issue for us and the islands Sovereignty has been decided by the islanders themselves.
edit on 12/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Oh god not this again.

I dont even know why we, the British even want the bloody Falklands so bad.

But yeah the Argentine are a weird sort, they tend to overreact, i guess they are all just bored hehehe

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

As Biigs said, 'not again'.

However with my suspicious mind I would really like to know what those islands have that the British government needs to keep so badly. Don't play the 'we care about the islanders who voted to stay in the UK' that's quite unbelievable. Our government doesn't care about the people on the mainland so why a handful of people on the other side of the world is such a bigy I wonder?

What exactly do these islands offer the British Government apart from seagull dung? I doubt we have enough nuclear bombs to go around our subs, let along to put them on a piece of land that is way out of our control zone.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I was wondering if Russia's actions in Crimea might cause other countries to press their own luck with territorial disputes. Like Argentina using force to retake the islands (hypothetical I know).

On the flip side they might be using the Crimean issue to support their claims on the Falkland Islands.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The Falklands are British territory and the occupants are British so we have a duty to protect them , this is more about oil than the islands themselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Well i realize that, but i assume you know what i really meant.

Sure we have people there and sure we will protect them. But its such an obscure island litterally thousands upon thousands of miles from our main land.

And what does the Falklands contribute to the British economy wise? Hell anything wise?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

The main thing is that it gives a bit of a claim on the antarctic and also its a pride thing as after we fought to reclaim it we've got to protect it as long as the residents wish it to be part of the UK

But this is just probably the usual distraction used by Argentina to divert attention away from their problems

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Biigs
Oh god not this again.

But yeah the Argentine are a weird sort, they tend to overreact, i guess they are all just bored hehehe

The oil and the multi million pound fishing industry is why were fighting over it i think. Nothing to do with the islanders.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

And what does the Falklands contribute to the British economy wise? Hell anything wise?

Historically I suspect very little but in the not to distant future it may contribute quite a lot, the fact remains the islands are ours regardless of their location they should be defended.

Britain will share in a Falkland Islands windfall when oil starts flowing there later this decade and, with taxes and royalties estimated at up to $167 billion (105.7 billion pounds), the potential prize could inflame mounting tensions with Argentina over sovereignty.
uk.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Well okay, i stand corrected thank you.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Xcathdra

I was wondering if Russia's actions in Crimea might cause other countries to press their own luck with territorial disputes. Like Argentina using force to retake the islands (hypothetical I know).

On the flip side they might be using the Crimean issue to support their claims on the Falkland Islands.

It depends how much stomach Argentina has for getting down and dirty. First time around once we got up close they didn't want to play ball and the Ghurkas terrified them. If their troops want to do it then fine they could give it a right go, but in my opinion they are better suited to the soccer field than the battlefield.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Argentina craps its collective pants every time they think of a UK atomic sub lurking around ready to destroy their Navy. Since subs can attack aircraft these days they could kiss some of their air force goodbye as well.

Reminds me of the blustering of North Korea.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

the Ghurkas terrified them.

Are these the infamous troops where in 1 incident 1 ghurka killed like 20 enemy soldiers?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Gurkhas terrify everybody.

www.artofmanliness.com...

40 to one here.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Biigs
Oh god not this again.

Fish.
Oil.
Stepping stone to Antarctica. (more fish, more oil, coal)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

khimbar
reply to post by Xcathdra

Gurkhas terrify everybody.

www.artofmanliness.com...

40 to one here.

Awesome.... humbling...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

When will they get it into their heads that this is a non-issue for us and the islands Sovereignty has been decided by the islanders themselves. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course the people from Falklands wants to be part of your kingdom, most of Falkland Islanders are British descendants. But they don't love your queen (who does?), they just opted for the better economy. Notice how the british government listen to the "people's decision" when is convenient.

For me, none of the parts envolved are the "good ones". Both sides display arrogance.

Argentina is clearly using "The Malvinas" to distract the people from the current crisis, like I said...., no saints here :

buzz.money.cnn.com...

Anyway, I must refer to one of my threads to make clear WHO ARE THE REAL FALKLANDS OWNERS, they already deployed troops there, invaded the area and they are ready to fight for their land. Here : Troops taking the beaches of The Falkland Islands - (PHOTOS). www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Ironic, they cry about Russia's exercises being bad, but when the UK holds exercises in contested terratory, its good.

ok, I get it, West good, East bad. *puts on dunces hat*

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

pookle
Ironic, they cry about Russia's exercises being bad, but when the UK holds exercises in contested terratory, its good.

I think it is a matter of scale and circumstance.

The Russian exercise involves 100,000 troops and half their air-force in an area of intense political difficulty. That is bad are rightly perceived as threatening and posturing .

The UK exercise involves some clay pigeon shooting and a race in kayaks, as well as being routine. It is not bad and effects no one.

The Argentineans are just full of hot air, distortions and crap. A distraction from dire domestic problems.

Regards

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

paraphi

pookle

I think it is a matter of scale and circumstance.

The Russian exercise involves 100,000 troops and half their air-force in an area of intense political difficulty. That is bad are rightly perceived as threatening and posturing .

The UK exercise involves some clay pigeon shooting and a race in kayaks, as well as being routine. It is not bad and effects no one.

The Argentineans are just full of hot air, distortions and crap. A distraction from dire domestic problems.

Regards

Ahh it's all ok then. The argentinean don't see it as a political difficulty.

Same for the DMZ between Gibralter and Spain too then. Thats all fine and dandy when Spain puts up extra checkpoints
Britain shouldn't argue about that then too.

I just see it for what it is, hypocracy, no dancing around words and a handbag, it is HYPOCRACY.

edit on 12-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join