It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't you find it odd about bible quotes in English.........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That some people quote verses of the bible and live by the letter of "the holy law" when the bible was written hundreds of years after the death of jesus and in an ancient Hebrew and Greek.

Some people are so sworn to the text they take everything literally as was translated, did the people who translated it even care how accurate it was (king James version).

Its almost amusing when someone quotes an exact English version of a verse, yet if you try to explain that it may not be 100% accurate, YOU (aka me) is the one at fault for questioning it....

Im not saying its wrong, im just saying it may not be right.

What do you guys think?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

That is why modern translations are checked against Hebrew and Greek.
So, yes, it is a mistake to be overly dependent upon one translation and not be conscious of the possibilitiies suggested by others.
Not everybody does it.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I am very interested in the responses you get, this has always been my issue too.
How can we know what the OG bible really said if it has been changed hands and translated and changed so much through out history

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

. . . yet if you try to explain that it may not be 100% accurate, YOU (aka me) is the one at fault for questioning it....
You would seem that way to those who think that the King James is the word of God.
It wouldn't occur to them that they could be wrong, so you would be the devil trying to test them.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Valid question!

Here's the $64 million question.

There are many stories that were not included in the bible (to this day even). So, how is it that anyone can take the bible so literally without full comprehension of it. I realize scholars will argue some of them are not valid, but I personally don't see the reasoning, nor can I understand how a group of humans can have that much power over something that is supposedly written by a higher being who has ultimate authority over all.

I like to pull the ethics, morals and similes out of the bible because I think they apply to my life. However, I do the same for any other piece of holy literature and teachings. I think we could learn something from this perspective.

As for those who take anything literally, I recommend they crawl in their hole and leave the rest of us alone, since we obviously don't understand and there is nothing they nor we can do to change it.
edit on 4-11-2014 by jrflipjr because: wine typo

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

There is a cult in Florida that believes that the "real name" of the son of God is the English "Jesus", pronounced "gee-zus", and that's what they called him when everyone was speaking Aramaic and writing in Koine Greek, even though his name wasn't even close to "gee-zus" in either of those languages.

Oh, and you can't be saved unless you were baptized in the "name of gee-zus", which means all of the Apostles and such are burning in Hell, because they were baptized in the name of "Yeshua".

And don't get me started on the "Sun/Son" idiots, lol.

No, the Bible wasn't written in English, and anyone who thinks that it was, or that words in English have some bearing on it, are idiots.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
From my experience growing up in the Church…

People who claim the Bible is "perfect" get that from verses, Paraphrased--

In the beginning the word was God and perfect… and:

Not one jot or tittle shall pass away…

I was told that these reference the "perfect" nature of God and therefore perfect nature of the Bible. That men were "inspired " by the Holy Spirit to make the Bible turn out the way it did… exactly.

And yet the interpretation of the meaning of passages is as diverse as the number of religions using it.

Theres that dual nature of religion again…

Its "perfect" but no one can agree what it means.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Words have underlying meanings.

Different languages may have different souding words, but they can express the same concepts and stories.

The details are not in the slight translational issues, but in the wider meanings of the text. This is true for all textual works, from the Bible to Mein Kampf.

It doesn't pay to focus your attention on a bug on the bumper of a truck if that truck is coming towards you at 200 km/h.

It's about wisdom and perspective.
edit on 11/4/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I'm so confused...

How to Pronounce .gif

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jrflipjr

I'm so confused…

Here you go: The Jewish Jesus Blog, the blog of the cult leader. Caution: blind following and rejection of critical thinking is required, lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Some of the stuff in the Bible still applies, we aren't really that different than the people two thousand years ago. Some people are greedy, some are power hungry, while many people tout their beliefs as real and shun others beliefs.

Desire for more than you really need is still a problem which is causing the destruction of the world.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

wow!

I appreciate all perspectives - the crazier, the better - because it provides me the opportunity to balance my view of the world against insanity on both ends. I just need to figure out a way to make money...like this [organization?]

Thanks for the link...I think?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Thanks for the link…I think?

Oh, you're very welcome -- they are entertaining, if nothing else. If you look at what the New Testament says about how to act (like being humble, not promoting your charitable activities, not seeking hollow titles, etc,) Gary Reckart pretty much violates them all, but he's so set on his mission that he doesn't think that he's in the wrong.

There used to be a follower of him on ATS, who really seemed to believe that the population of Heaven was the 20 or so members of the cult, but he doesn't log in any more.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I kinda miss you two scrapping it out for 15 pages...

Gave me something amusing to read

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I kinda miss you two scrapping it out for 15 pages...

Gave me something amusing to read

Just call me Don Quixote, lol.

I really did put forth an effort to restore his account by PM'ing him, but he retreated into the "I didn't do anything wrong" perspective and he refused to apologize to anyone involved.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Should I ask what the scoop is b/n these two, or is that not appropriate, given the length of my life?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I'll leave that to him...

Needless to say, they were extremely amusing battles

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Good copy!

BTW, your avatar is SO my next piece of bodywork!

Heavy!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
First of all you're absolutely wrong in claiming that the Bible was written hundreds of years after the death of Jesus. The Bible was not written at any one time, since it is composed of various gospels or books, some of which were written around the time of Jesus, not hundreds or years later. In fact, the Old Testament was written before Jesus. Long before. And the most important books of the New Testament were written not very long after Jesus' death.

Regarding translation, many people claim that there are different meanings for each verse, etc, but the truth is that there is only one correct interpretation. Bible translation has been around for about as long as the Bible itself, and for the most part the translations we have today are accurate. Most scholars agree when it comes to translating the meanings of various pieces of text. The exact wording is also different from the meaning. One can put a sentence into English in various ways, but still convey the same meaning.

It seems to me that you are attempting to stage an attack on a certain group of people. You can claim that a certain verse of the Bible has not been translated correctly, but 9 times out of 10 you would be wrong. You claim that believers disagree that the translation is wrong, so how is that any different from you claiming that it is wrong? You don't know that, and they probably don't either. But they are going to be right more times than you, simply because of the thousands of translators who have worked with these texts for thousands of years. We have a pretty good idea regarding the majority of translations by this time. There is only a small percentage of verses that might have been translated incorrectly.

But listening to some crackpot who claims something is wrong is not the way to go most of the time, because the majority of the time these people have no formal education in the matter, and do not do it professionally. People spend their lives studying something like this, and I would much rather trust someone who is fluent in these languages than someone who can't speak them at all, yet says the language is wrong.

I've studied the Biblical style of Hebrew for a while, as translations are something I took an interest in a long time ago. And as I read forums and blogs and whatnot that were written by amateurs like myself, they would claim this or that was not correct. Well it would always turn out that the problem was in their lack of knowledge of the language. Sure, there was a problem with the translation, but it was the way the amateur translator was translating.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Biigs
That some people quote verses of the bible and live by the letter of "the holy law" when the bible was written hundreds of years after the death of jesus and in an ancient Hebrew and Greek.

Some people are so sworn to the text they take everything literally as was translated, did the people who translated it even care how accurate it was (king James version).

Its almost amusing when someone quotes an exact English version of a verse, yet if you try to explain that it may not be 100% accurate, YOU (aka me) is the one at fault for questioning it....

Im not saying its wrong, im just saying it may not be right.

What do you guys think?

i agree.

I don't think any English translations are accurate.

Here is an online Bible, that I use-

classic.net.bible.org...

you can compare the English Bible verse text with the Greek and Hebrew translations, by simply clicking on the verse number

and a page will open with the selected verse written in English.

When you hover over an individual word in the verse, it shows the Greek or Hebrew word and definition.

This online bible has many more tools, and makes researching the original language much easier.

Hope some of you find it helpful!

Let me know what you think!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join