It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intrepid biohacker gives himself infrared night vision, but at what price?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

According to the World War II-era nautical lore, the Navy wanted sailors that could see IR signals. To this end volunteers were fed a diet that was missing the form of vitamin A normally used to make photopigments for our visual system. They were instead given supplements of an alternate form of the vitamin that gave sensitivity into the IR spectrum. While invention of the sniperscope brought these dubious experiments to a premature close, a group of biohackers has been inspired to pick up right where the early transhumanist pioneers left off.

Intrepid biohacker gives himself infrared night vision, but at what price?

Im sure there are numerous advantages to being able to see in the infrared spectrum but at what price? I would choose my gonad functionality any day of the week!

Promising technology all the same but i would not want to be that particular lab rat.

edit on 11-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

It's just that, lore...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hm, as for me I can hardly see three colours in the first place.

Well, to each his weakness, and to each his strength.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I've read up a bit on this , supposedly massive dosages are required to give passable vision, its kinda cool.

But than, you could for go the health risk, and just use NV goggles, its the choice the Military went with.
edit on 11-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

what an odd article. I am with you in wanting to preventing the decreased gonad functionality. whats crazy are they are doing it to themselves but I guess everyone has a price. Mine sure as heck would not be a small percentage of 4000.00 bucks.

(post by andy06shake removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They could always take tamoxifen and clomid to counteract the hypergonadism , fellow body builders will know what im talking about

edit on 11-4-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
One would think it'd be easier to make remotely adjustable infrared contact lenses, or something like that. Sounds sci fi, I know, but if it's possible, it will be done.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
One would think it'd be easier to make remotely adjustable infrared contact lenses, or something like that. Sounds sci fi, I know, but if it's possible, it will be done.

One would think . . . but just look at what these guys call their other products . . .

Much of the capital raised will be used to procure the vitamin itself. Additionally there will be funds for sensitive equipment to measure the electrical responses of the eye as its spectral sensitivity changes. Their results will be published in an open, peer-reviewed research journal. The diet the biohackers will use has been developed by computer engineer Rob Rhinehart, creator of a successful life-optimizing drink known as Soylent. Crowdfunded itself, Soylent also enjoys high-profile backing from venture capitalists like Andreessen Horowitz.

I don't have high hopes for these folks.

-FBB

new topics

top topics

join