It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Corporations have people who Know the Law and,

Corporations know to Keep their Records!

If folks are not willing to learn the law and, by due diligence, follow the requirements of the law, then they are willingly setting themselves up to get reamed By the law.

And don't say that it's too hard.

Life is hard, if it were easy we most likely would not appreciate it as much as we do, or should.

I swear, so many people are like those kids in the classroom who won't pay attention during class, don't do their homework, and then get all upset and belligerent when the flunk out.

Take some personal responsibility!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Wha?!? Does not compute.

...Are you saying responsible people make sure they have enough money for lawyers to take on Uncle Sam?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
USC 1-207 can be used to get out of any alleged debt one did not willingly, knowingly or intentionally occur.
I've personally used it a few times with good results.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The reason probably congress do that is in order for the federal agencies to go after collecting debt, because the IRS can withhold you tax returns that is easily done that sending letters to the suspects or targeted individuals, then they win if the individuals do not challenge the debt, they probably win more times than losing as people rather let the money be taken than taking the time to fight back.

But fighting back most of the time only involve the right type of paper work, no lawyers, that is a chance that people can take and see what happen, more often than not the money is reimbursed.

The same way last year that my husband was hit with this withholding from the IRS in behave of the SS I was hit with a debt from the department of education, my "supposedly" debt was much higher, but the SS had priority and what ever was left from the refund was withheld for the DE, the debt in question was from a student loan that I never acquired back in in the 90s, from further research I found out that my identity was stolen, When I asked the IRS agent how big this debt was, she would not tell me because it was not my name, but my social security was used and my money withheld, that made me angry, I told her, "you telling me that the IRS is holding my money? and making me pay for this debt and I, the victim can not even find out how much it is!, I am the victim here you are protecting the thief" see somebody used my SS to get a student loan, after that, I wrote numerous letters, actually I send two letters a month for the time It took to fix the problem, I contacted from the SS, IRS and FBI, then make numerous phone calls, it took a year for the issue to be resolve, I call the DE, incompetent full of fraud and corruption, (that's how mad I was) no lawyers were needed and I got my money back with a two letters of apologies, It took one year, that is because the last time I call them I told the person behind the phone working for the DE that I was going to call Washington hot line for fraud and abuse against the DE, yes they have such office in Washington

So yes, if you are right and you know it and can prove it is fun to take the time and challenges this agencies.

edit on 13-4-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

As I recall, the law making these IRS/Treasury actions possible was passed 10 years ago.

Who was in power then?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

People are responsible for their parents/grandparents debts?
What planet are you living on?
SMH

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The same president that made almost possible for big pharma to get sue for poisoning and made a nightmare to fall for bankruptcy amid the downfall a few years later of the housing market.

They know exactly what they are doing, Sofi ahead of time.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Well no only they are targeting people for parents debt but my sister in Puerto Rico have to pay for the child support of her son's child, because they have a law that force working adults to pay for the child support of their grandchildren and also take care of their aging parents if the aging parents are in financial distress.

Yes is such law in the PR.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

It's VERY apparent that the goal of the US Government is to make sure average Americans DO NOT have money in their pockets.

This new debt limitation change + the Affordable Care Act = lots of money NEVER getting into the pockets of average Americans.

The writing is on the wall. The government is making every attempt to crush the average American financially. They have no desire to actually see the citizens of this country prosper. (Actions speak louder than words.)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

freakjive

When Grice was 4, back in 1960, her father died, leaving her mother with five children to raise. Until the kids turned 18, Sadie Grice got survivor benefits from Social Security to help feed and clothe them.

Now, Social Security claims it overpaid someone in the Grice family — it’s not sure who — in 1977. After 37 years of silence, four years after Sadie Grice died, the government is coming after her daughter. Why the feds chose to take Mary’s money, rather than her surviving siblings’, is a mystery.

this action makes no sense.... all 5 kids receiving 'Survivor Benefits' have separate Social Security Accounts...As did the Surviving Mother-Wife to the deceased Father (upon whose account all the survivor benefit $$ are based)

In any case, Mary is being targeted as a victim...either all of the children share in being overpaid or none
Sadie, the mother, was only acting as an Agent for the siblings... the only way Sadie could be held responsible for receiving social security overpayments is IF she gave fraudulent claims to the SSA so as to claim more payments than she deserved

in every instance the 5 siblings are not responsible for any alleged 'overpayments'..
the 5 children were always 'dependents'/ 'under age'
It sounds more like somebody in the SSA is trying to cover-up errors made years earlier, payout errors which are not recoverable (because the recipients are deceased & the SSA accounts are then closed)

I had some 9 years of social security Survivor Benefits accrue in a trust fund, unknown to myself...so I have some knowledge of how SSA & survivor benefits are handled... It is too bad that the Mother had to use those small survivor checks to support the family from month-to-month

I know that the SSA garnishment/seizure for supposed 'debt' some 47 years old- will be dropped cold, even if it takes a Congressman or Senator to petition an investigation for this victim of bureaucry

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This sounds so not right!! Seems to me that with debt that old it would very hard to prove one way or the other! And well because of that fact they could go after just about anyone's tax refund based on "overpayments" made to their parents on their behalf and you would have no idea if it was true or not or how to prove otherwise. All the paperwork would be gone!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

I am sorry but a six or seven year old kid should not be expected to keep their parents records up to date in case some clerical worker in social security screws up! It sounds like this is what you are saying... Because the parent didn't have enough foresight to keeps the records for decades and pass them down to their offspring then the offspring should be penalized??

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

marg6043

They know exactly what they are doing, Sofi ahead of time.

Yep. It's the ole "boil the water and tighten the noose slowly" strategy. Works every time.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Bhadhidar

Corporations have people who Know the Law and,

Corporations know to Keep their Records!

If folks are not willing to learn the law and, by due diligence, follow the requirements of the law, then they are willingly setting themselves up to get reamed By the law.

And don't say that it's too hard.

Life is hard, if it were easy we most likely would not appreciate it as much as we do, or should.

I swear, so many people are like those kids in the classroom who won't pay attention during class, don't do their homework, and then get all upset and belligerent when the flunk out.

You are such a hypocrite. The reason I can say that safely and be correct is because it is literally impossible to know all the law. There are so many felonies on the books that just about every person in the country breaks about 3 of them daily without even knowing it. The tax law is so garbled and convoluted that it usually takes some outside source to help navigate all the paperwork come tax time. Trying to stay on top of all laws IS too hard to the point that just trying to do it, is a full time job. It's called being a lawyer and even lawyers have to specialize because trying to learn ALL the laws on the books is just too damn hard. Seriously, don't preach about knowing the law when you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't know the website or the link...

but Monday, 14 April... the Social Security head honcho-ette, halted all the 10 year and 3 year Recovery Operations that targeted alleged 'overpayments'

there was some clarification in the article that the Survivors could not be levied fines or reduced tax refunds because of their parents errors or overpayments... so all tax refund seizures have been halted as of yesterday...

do a search, i'm too new at this PC to do one --- with bing of all things

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well with this we see the real strategy come to light.

They make absolutely sure this story gets big MSMalarkey press and in true election year fashion, they miraculously decide to stop !!

All in the game plan to cast the grand *Illusion* that our IRS and Government is all on our side !!!

Brilliant psy-ops. Classic.

Create the "Problem" and then solve the "Problem". Works every time eh.

The Social Security Administration announced Monday that it will immediately cease efforts to collect on taxpayers’ debts to the government that are more than 10 years old.

The action comes after The Washington Post reported that the government was seizing state and federal tax refunds that were on their way to about 400,000 Americans who had relatives who owed money to the Social Security agency. In many cases, the people whose refunds were intercepted had never heard of any debt, and the debts dated as far back as the middle of the past century.

Social Security stops trying to collect on old debts by seizing tax refunds

Hah !!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Methinks the fact this story became like a tumbleweed on fire in a tornado, on FB and twitter...may have had a little bit to do with the halting of the operation.

Strike 2 against over reaching government in one week. Bundy was strike one...

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join