It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine christening of USS Zumwalt a milestone for Navy, BIW.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is one heck of a destroyer. It has been under construction for 5 years.

Saturday’s ceremony in Bath marks both the military’s first new destroyer class in decades and the local company’s delivery of a revolutionary warship

www.pressherald.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

nighthawk1954

Saturday’s ceremony in Bath marks both the military’s first new destroyer class in decades and the local company’s delivery of a revolutionary warship

www.pressherald.com...

Why on earth would one celebrate a ship that's called a "Destroyer"?

Where is the pride and honour and celebration in that?

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

It comes from torpedo boat destroyer.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Yes I know, but what kind of sick mind wants to celebreate destruction and weapons designed for one thing. Death.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Yes I know, but what kind of sick mind wants to celebreate destruction and weapons designed for one thing. Death.

Destroying the enemy's weapons saves lives and ends wars.
edit on 11-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

The vessel class is a Destroyer.
The vessel name is the USS Zumwalt.

The icing on the cake is the new Commander of the vessel -

Captain James Kirk.

Yes - its real. No, his middle name is not Tiberius, although that apparently is his nickname by his fellow officer's / higher ups.

Capt. Kirk takes command of USS Zumwalt

Captain Kirk’s futuristic-looking vessel sports cutting-edge technology, new propulsion and powerful armaments, but this ship isn’t the Starship Enterprise.

The skipper of the stealthy Zumwalt is Navy Capt. James Kirk, and yes, he’s used to the jokes about the name he shares with the TV starship commander played by actor William Shatner.

Kirk takes it in stride.

“I don’t take any offense,” he told The Associated Press in an interview. “If it’s a helpful moniker that brings attention to help us to do what we need to do to get the ship into the fleet and into combat operations, then that’s fine.”

While it’s no starship, the technology-laden Zumwalt taking shape at Maine’s Bath Iron Works is unlike any other U.S. warship.

The Navy skipper points out that his name is actually James A. Kirk, while the fictional Starship Enterprise captain was James “Jim” T. Kirk. But that didn’t stop him from earning the call sign “Tiberius” — the fictional Kirk’s middle name — while working with an aircraft carrier strike group. That was later shortened to just “T.”

Read more: www.washingtontimes.com...
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

edit on 11-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Destroying the enemie's weapons saves lives and ends wars.

What enemies have invaded America?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

If you are suggesting that there are no enemies of the united states you are wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

None since the war of 1812. If you count the Aleutian Islands during WWII before it was a state then 1940's (Japan invaded a few as a diversion from Midway). Even then Yamamoto strongly discouraged an attack on the US. The other factor that Japan used was the American people and their... wait for it.... 2nd amendment. They speculated they would lose a lot in an attempted invasion of the US mainland.

The same issues the allies faced when discussing the invasion of the Japanese main islands.

The question is why have no countries tried it since.

My guess would be the advanced military equipment we have.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Xcathdra

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

None since the war of 1812. If you count the Aleutian Islands during WWII before it was a state then 1940's (Japan invaded a few as a diversion from Midway).

The advanced military that cannot make peace in Taliban in Afghanistan , cave dweallers as a lot call them. The advanced military that couldn't find Osama for how many years?

link   

Xcathdra

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Captain James Kirk.

Yes - its real. No, his middle name is not Tiberius, although that apparently is his nickname by his fellow officer's / higher ups.

Captain Kirk’s futuristic-looking vessel sports cutting-edge technology, new propulsion and powerful armaments, but this ship isn’t the Starship Enterprise.

The skipper of the stealthy Zumwalt is Navy Capt. James Kirk, and yes, he’s used to the jokes about the name he shares with the TV starship commander played by actor William Shatner.

Kirk takes it in stride.

“I don’t take any offense,” he told The Associated Press in an interview. “If it’s a helpful moniker that brings attention to help us to do what we need to do to get the ship into the fleet and into combat operations, then that’s fine.”

While it’s no starship, the technology-laden Zumwalt taking shape at Maine’s Bath Iron Works is unlike any other U.S. warship.

The Navy skipper points out that his name is actually James A. Kirk, while the fictional Starship Enterprise captain was James “Jim” T. Kirk. But that didn’t stop him from earning the call sign “Tiberius” — the fictional Kirk’s middle name — while working with an aircraft carrier strike group. That was later shortened to just “T.”

I hope they installed the corbomite shield!

link   

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

If you are suggesting that there are no enemies of the united states you are wrong.

Not at all, I am not suggesting that, my question was who invaded America, there are lots of enemies of America definatly now, and a lot that would supprise you, that exist in the West or Europe.

It is one thing you are good at, making enemies, I certinally don't doubt you have enemies at all. Some day my country will become an emey of the US at it's current rate the way the US keeps heading.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Not at all, I am not suggesting that, my question was who invaded America, there are lots of enemies of America definatly now, and a lot that would supprise you, that exist in the West or Europe.

It is one thing you are good at, making enemies, I certinally don't doubt you have enemies at all. Some day my country will become an emey of the US at it's current rate.

Are you not answering your own question?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Xcathdra

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Captain James Kirk.

Kirk takes it in stride.

I forgot about that ! I read that about a year ago!

link   

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

It is one thing you are good at, making enemies, I certinally don't doubt you have enemies at all. Some day my country will become an emey of the US at it's current rate.

Are you not answering your own question?

It is still nothing to celebrate about.

link   

Measuring 610 feet from bow to stern and looking like something from a sci-fi movie, the USS Zumwalt is far from invisible.

Nor unsinkable. In todays combat environment (close in to shore support or guarding carrier operations) it is nothing more than a Large Slow Target (LST). A 3.3 billion dollar cork bobbing on the oceans surface.

A few million dollars of missile salvos will make quick work of it in a shooting war. Or one smart mine. Or Rocket torpedo. How about all three at once?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

pookle

Xcathdra

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

None since the war of 1812. If you count the Aleutian Islands during WWII before it was a state then 1940's (Japan invaded a few as a diversion from Midway).

The advanced military that cannot make peace in Taliban in Afghanistan , cave dweallers as a lot call them. The advanced military that couldn't find Osama for how many years?

Russia sustained 13k casualties and 35k wounded.
Allied forces suffered 3,429 in total, with the US at 2,178 casualties and 19k wounded.

Why?

Technology.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Xcathdra

pookle

Xcathdra

pookle

greencmp

pookle

greencmp

pookle

nighthawk1954

www.pressherald.com...

Russia sustained 13k casualties and 35k wounded.
Allied forces suffered 3,429 in total, with the US at 2,178 casualties and 19k wounded.

Why?

Technology.

You still lost in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

intrptr

Measuring 610 feet from bow to stern and looking like something from a sci-fi movie, the USS Zumwalt is far from invisible.

Nor unsinkable. In todays combat environment (close in to shore support or guarding carrier operations) it is nothing more than a Large Slow Target (LST). A 3.3 billion dollar cork bobbing on the oceans surface.

A few million dollars of missile salvos will make quick work of it in a shooting war. Or one smart mine. Or Rocket torpedo. How about all three at once?

Sure anything is possible...

After all it only took one torpedo hit from an antiquated bi-plane flown by our cousins in britain during WWII to end the Bismarck.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

After all it only took one torpedo hit from an antiquated bi-plane flown by our cousins in britain during WWII to end the Bismarck.

You mean to jam the rudder. Of course it was easy enough to find the boat… and that was before todays modern radars (or hypersonic, sea skimming, self homing missile technology).

If I was Iran I'd line the shore in the Gulfs and the Strait with thousands of those. On trucks. Backed into revetments or caves. Anyone who thinks they aren't doing just that is too wrapped up in their very expensive, shiny, bobbing corks.

ETA: That was the same mistake the Germans made in WWII. They wanted big big expensive tanks that could take multiple hits from enemy fire. The Tiger was just such an expensive, heavy, gas guzzling Leviathan. In the end they were overwhelmed by numbers. And combined naval, artillery and air assets. There just wasn't enough of them to hold up under the onslaught.

Same principal applies in todays ocean combat environment.

Destroyer "destroyers"
edit on 11-4-2014 by intrptr because: link

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join