It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye XP—Enjoy Being a Zombie

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Necrose

in a business environment, the typical attitude about Apple users is that they are "that guy". They don't know how to effect minor adjustments to their machine, and the rest of the world can barely navigate Apple. Everytime I am in meetings with Apple users, the fact that they have Mac OS creates one issue or another.

The business world is a backbone is Unix, with a Windows user network.

What experience does Windows offer today that OS X does not?

Well, I don't really understand the way you choose. Is it because your company/job requires you to use Windows?

The funny thing is that people are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on their habits, everyone is complaining when switching to Apple's platform and yet I would have to think about a person that has switched back to Microsoft's platform regarding both, the computer and the cell-phone industry.
So if you are not bonded with Windows in any other way than a personal habit, give OS X a try. After 2-3 weeks you will come over and say "Hey Necrose, you were right"

(To get me right, I don't mean that Apple is the best or so, what I am saying is that given a choice between OS X and Windows, I would prefer OS X.)
edit on 10-4-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I'm still on XP. Works just fine for me. Even though I know there's a memory cap on that operating system.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I use a system with Win 8 routinely. Problem is, everybody who's tried it in my circle has hated it. AS for myself? Well, initially hated it and had lots trouble. I've always been a relatively advanced user and am not shy to do advanced stuff. I eventually figured out Win 8. You can download 3rd-party programs to make the desktop in Win 8 classic and also to add a Start menu. But to make a longer story short, overall, I think Win 8 was a disaster for longtime users of desktops. For touchscreen users it might be ok, but I really have to be honest and say Win 8 was a bad turn and Microsoft took a plunge into the river. They'll recover.

I'd also like to say 3.1/95/98/ME/2000/Xp/Vista/7 are not perfect, by far. In fact, it's extremely common for users to get hangups and have to call technical support for trivial issues. It shouldn't happen. Windows is a very tricky OS and many users don't even know how to use Windows Explorer. Frankly, unless you're a business user or a computer science graduate, Windows is like living in China in a english speaking house. End result is Windows, as a OS and as a user-friendly interface, has been tough to use and has a long ways to go to reach the average user.

I'd advise users of XP who can't afford to upgrade for whatever reason AND are somewhat advanced users to switch to Linux. There're lots of games and there're tricks to run Windows games too. In fact, I recently read Gog.com is going to support Linux in the future. I can't give this advise to average users because going over to Linux might require too much. For the average user, it's risky to stay with XP, but it's familiar to them. As long as they stick to commonplace sites and have minimal anti-malwar and anti-virus and firewall software and some flash or ad blocking functions and don't download and run things too much, there's some hope they won't get caught up in a ^&#%%!!~@^!. Sad. IF a average user has somebody to set things up, then maybe Linux can work.

Here's a starting point to enter into the world of Linux:
lubuntu.net...
edit on 10-4-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Visitor2012
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I'm still on XP. Works just fine for me. Even though I know there's a memory cap on that operating system.
It's not very popular, but there is (or should I now say was?) a 64 bit version of XP. It flopped when released due to poor driver support and other issues, but driver support was improved and it's quite usable now though it never gained many users. It had so few users that Microsoft figured it wasn't worth the trouble to set up their validation on XP64.

I'm not sure what memory cap you're talking about but all the 32 bit OSes have memory limitations compared to the 64 bit versions. This isn't an issue with XP, it's an issue with 32 bit versus 64 bit.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't see the problem. In every OS... If you want something click the appropriate image.
(I can't imagen that 99% of the complainers are working in a DOS or similair environment.)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

IMO windows 8 is terrible. I bought a PC with it on and done everything I could to make it look and act like windows 7.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Necrose

What experience does Windows offer today that OS X does not?

My "boss" uses a Mac. His hipster daughter talked him into it. He regrets the decision because he has not ability to troubleshoot computing systems. He relies on the kindness of coworkers. His fatal error: buying a system that no one around him knows how to use. My most common statement to him regarding his computer: "If you had a Windows system, I could fix that for you".

You can have every bell and whistle known to man. If you don't know how to use a bell or a whistle....

Well, I don't really understand the way you choose. Is it because your company/job requires you to use Windows?

My "personal" laptop was a work machine for several years. I am a somewhat entrepreneurial kind of guy. I need a computer that is the most compatible, since I don't always know why kinds of systems I will be using it for. Currently, the systems I use are not compatible with Apple. Neither our income systems, nor our AP systems work with OSX.

The funny thing is that people are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on their habits, everyone is complaining when switching to Apple's platform and yet I would have to think about a person that has switched back to Microsoft's platform regarding both, the computer and the cell-phone industry.
So if you are not bonded with Windows in any other way than a personal habit, give OS X a try. After 2-3 weeks you will come over and say "Hey Necrose, you were right"

As a kid I learned computing on an Apple. By the time the Apple IIc hit the market I was pretty much a dedicated MS-DOS user just by training. I have no college education. I ply my trade by being someone adept in quick thinking, knowing math, and being a God with MS Excel. I have an enormously difficult time using the OSX version of MS Office.

I do like some of the Apple features. But it is going to take worse than Windows 8 to drive me into the arms of Apple. Most of my issue with Apple is dealing with my disgust with their business model, to be honest, and has little to do with fearing change. Although changing OS's could create severe problems for me. I am doing 2 peoples jobs right now and cannot lose efficiency.

I think if i were to go to a different OS, it would be Linux based. WINE allows me to run Windows based programs fairly seamlessly. I liked Ubuntu quite a bit, but would rather something a little more user friendly. While I can figure all of it out, i don't really want to spend my evenings tinkering and tweaking my PC.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
ISO's are getting very big, I paid for Microknoppx 7.2, I dont mind surrporting a great distro, plus i dont have time or bandwidth to ramdomly start dling new distros anymore
... Knoppix 7.2 live-DVD came with the Linux Shell Handbook fourth edition zine(Fall 2013) (US15.99pluss tax .07/ Canada 17.99))...You can run the live DVD without installing it.I have it installed on a 300gb wd/ w Tiny core linux installed on a 2gb sd that I leave in sd1. I dislike Ubuntu and its flavors.PClinuxOS is good. I dont like KDE, Gnome is good.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

fatpastyhead
reply to post by KnightLight

IMO windows 8 is terrible. I bought a PC with it on and done everything I could to make it look and act like windows 7.

So what's terrible about it? Since you are making it look and act like 7 I'm guess you don't like or don't use the Metro interface? Okay. Neither do I. I havent seen the stupid Start screen in months. Have no use for it. Doesnt mean it's terrible. Just means it's a feature that I don't make use of.

At first I used the the add-on "start button" and other software to get back that XP feeling but because of my job I decided it would be best to embrace 8 for the sake of the office, sake of the customers and for my own sake (so I didnt end up like some geriatric who can't adapt to new or different things) and since ridding myself of the fake XP crutches and fully embracing 8 I've found it to be fast, stable and compatible with everything I've tried so far.

I don't miss nonsense like the start button or floating through goofy menus and the All Programs and all that crap one bit. If I want something I just win+s, type it and press enter. Waaaaay faster for me than hunting through items in a list or looking through a page of icons.

And every single thing is connected by hyperlinks. So fast to get anything you want. I've found it's especially true for people who lack knowledge or expertise. In XP I had to explain things like the Control Panel and Device Manager to get some poor old guy to his printer settings. Now I teach them whatever they want just type. You dont have to know special terms anymore. You want printer settings just win+s "print" and you'll see them. Getting to the calculator was start>all programs>accessories>calculator. Now it's win+s "calc" enter.

And I dont have a touch screen. Have no use for one.

XP is like a clunky half retarded neanderthal by comparison.

Embrace it. It wont bite and you'll be doing yourself a favor.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Rosinitiate
I went Apple back in 2006 and bought my second Macbook just two months ago after my last becoming inoperable a little over a year ago. I will never go back to PC and went this long without because, well MacBooks aren't cheap but it shows just how much I loathe PC. But from 2006 to 2012 I had no real issues with my Macbook it died only because my little one dumped a large cup of chocolate milk on the keyboard. It really was a wonderful machine. The new Macbook with Retina is simply fantastic. A friend was over with her new Macbook without the Retina and it was next to mine. The difference was staggering....

Although Apple has some of its own problems, specifically IMO their desire for all things proprietary but hands down better than any MS OS.

AMEN!

I just want my computer to "work" without me having to tweak anything or do anything to it. I'm on my second macbook as well, the first is still going strong (2007 model) and I gave it to my girlfriend.

Apple does a great job at making technology work for you, instead of you being a slave to your technology.

EDIT: I also firmly believe a lot of people hate on Apple simply because they can't afford it. They'll never, ever admit it -- and make up all kinds of excuses -- but I'm convinced it's the truth.
edit on 10-4-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I switched to Windows 7 when my old MB died and I rebuilt my Frankenputer yet again. Since I knew the sunset was on the horizon I figured I might as well. I like Windows 7.

I have a question though, about reinstalling XP (I run a couple of older machines as well). I presume that Microsoft won't be providing access to service packs or old patches. Does this mean they won't be available anywhere? I guess I should have downloaded them all, or are they already residing on my hard drive in such a form that they can be archived for installation should the need arise?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I have windows XP pro with office 2007 or 2008 on mine.I have
know for awhile that this day was coming.I don't know what to do
about it.My husband as windows 7 on his computer and mine is run
on a wireless router.We have two home offices in our house.

We are going to decide soon what to do about my system.I do a
lot on my computer and spend more time on it then in front of
the tv.
My computer is around 4 years old and my monitor is from 2000.
edit on 10-4-2014 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

The upgrade is absolutely useless unless you're one of the very few people with a touchscreen monitor (what is this, 1993?). I have no explanation why MS saw these monitors as an actual trend, then again, we're talking about the same company that ruined their console division by making every mistake their competitor made last go around. Here's hoping that SteamOS really takes off and sets Linux as the primary OS before they shut off Win7, lol.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I understood that windows wouldn't be supporting XP at all.My
computer had an update performed yesterday afternoon.I am
assuming it would be my last.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Right. I know.
I just checked though, and the service packs are available for download still. Grabbing them while I can.
Checking on all the patches.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If worse comes to worse, just pirate and store it on a CD/usb drive somewhere. Normally, this would be a moral grey area, but I would think this puts XP into the realm of abandonware at this point.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
EDIT: I also firmly believe a lot of people hate on Apple simply because they can't afford it. They'll never, ever admit it -- and make up all kinds of excuses -- but I'm convinced it's the truth.

My main workhorse Windows PC is a beast that's been running pretty much 24/7 since 2010. Never crashed, never blues screened, still runs as fluidly as the day I built it. Considering I dropped about $3,200 on it (and that's excluding screen, backup storage, licences and peripherals), I assure you money was not a factor in my decision.
edit on 10-4-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I would counter that people that use Apple do so because they can't be bothered to learn their systems or to put them together.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Windows xp was amazing for the day, it just doesn't make use of the hardware anymore, and it hits a roadblock with newer hardware.

Windows 7 is a great middle ground, its user friendly, not as gross as vista and not as much of a drastic change as 8. It's DX11 (and will be DX12) compatible.

In my life, macs are useless. Being a hardware kind of guy and a gamer. Thats just how it is. There is no argument that PC is > Mac for gaming. They're fancy looking and are more user friendly sure. But anyone who is computer capable in the least doesn't have one. They're good for facebook, writing things, and graphic design (and even then a PCs hardware destroys it flat out). Their desktop/all-in-one deals run on mobile hardware, and you can't upgrade them.

All cons in my book. But i am a techno geek. I build my pc 2 years ago and still destroys any mac you can throw at it. Plus i can play games without having to resort to emulation (which uses double the resources).

But to each their own, it depends on what you use your pc for. I assembled mine myself. I overclock it myself. And i can tweak it to perform better in general (within windows settings)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

GetHyped

MystikMushroom

My main workhorse Windows PC is a beast that's been running pretty much 24/7 since 2010. Never crashed, never blues screened, still runs as fluidly as the day I built it. Considering I dropped about $3,200 on it (and that's excluding screen, backup storage, licences and peripherals), I assure you money was not a factor in my decision.
edit on 10-4-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

That is my main pc. It is a Dell Inspiron laptop, ca 2008. It is on all the time. All the time. I reset it about 1 time a week. Never blue screened. I did have to do a startup repair 2 years ago, give or take. Other than that....i have used it nonstop. I do a lot of web browsing and such. I also do a lot of graphic design in Photoshop, and workbook stuff in Excel. I paid $550 for it when I got it, and have never had a more reliable machine.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join