It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye XP—Enjoy Being a Zombie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Goodbye XP—Enjoy Being a Zombie
In case anyone hasn't heard, Windows XP was officially "put to death" by Microsoft on April 8th, though by some estimates there are still half a billion people using it.

This is an opinion article by a regular contributor to PC Magazine by John Dvorak, a man whose opinion I often though not always share.

In the case of XP, I happen to agree with his thoughts that it was probably the pinnacle OS (operating system) for desktop productivity that Microsoft ever made. He's obviously not getting paid by MS because of the less than kind things he says about their more recent operating systems, but I think he has a point, especially if you are interested in desktop productivity applications. Maybe for home entertainment some of the newer OSes have some advantages.

Here are a few excerpts from his comments but especially if you're one of the 27% still using XP, you may want to read the whole thing.

Microsoft had to rush out Windows 7 in 2009 ahead of schedule to cover up the image of Vista. Windows 7 backed off on many of the fanciful characteristics of Vista, which calmed down the complainers. Windows 7 was no better than Vista; in fact, I think it is worse. But no matter because three years later we ended up with Windows 8, a real fiasco for the desktop users.

Meanwhile, there are those aforementioned one-half billion users still running Windows XP and Microsoft is clueless has to why this is.

So yesterday, Microsoft pulled the plug on XP. No more fixes, upgrades, or anything else. No patch Tuesday. No re-installs (from what I can tell).
I'm still using XP but I don't think the risk has increased dramatically in the 2 days since they stopped supporting it, but eventually I think it will become more risky, and I'll switch to something else. I doubt it will be another Microsoft OS since the alternatives available seem to be inferior (I've installed them, tried them, and went back to XP).

To balance out the negativity of that opinion on the more recent Microsoft operating systems, here is another article from the same magazine which is more encouraging about them:

Why You Should Ditch Windows XP Now

One thing I found interesting in that article is extended support for some related software through July 2015:

Are there any exceptions? Amidst some backlash, Microsoft in February officially extended Microsoft Security Essentials updates for Windows XP users through July 2015. "For enterprise customers, this applies to System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection and Windows Intune running on Windows XP," Microsoft said. "For consumers, this applies to Microsoft Security Essentials." Still, Redmond cautioned that anti-malware solutions on outdated operating systems are limited. Some anti-virus providers will extend support for XP users, but not all.
So apparently Microsoft recognizes that not everybody stopped using XP on April 8, 2014 and are providing some limited support not for the operating system, but for anti-malware software to use with it.

I'm sure I'll be using something else long before July 2015, and if you're still using XP, you may want to strive for that also, unless your PC usage is so non-critical that you feel nothing bad could happen if malware or hackers took over your PC.

Any ATSers besides me still using XP? If so, what are your plans? How long do you plan to keep using it? If you plan to change operating systems, to what?
edit on 10-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I upgraded to Vista in 2012. XP had problems but after service pack 2 upgrade it was ok. Vista is basically the same, just new name without the errors XP had in the beginning.

It is pathetic that Microsoft are forcing People (Consumers) to upgrade and spend money.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Thurisaz
It is pathetic that Microsoft are forcing People (Consumers) to upgrade and spend money.
I wouldn't mind upgrading if the newer operating systems were better, but for John Dvorak and me (and maybe some of those half billion people who also still use XP), they aren't better, they are worse.
edit on 10-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Windows 98 and Windows XP... Mmmm those were the days. I stopped using XP awhile ago, but not as a choice. I'm on windows 8 now, but its a little yuck. At least you can tweak it a bit to get back the normal windows desktop/start button stuff..

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
stopped using XP about 03ish, now running Microknoppix 7.2 on an 08ish laptop. I tried switching to a tablet, but after three months, Im back on the laptop.Android has many limitations. Anyone use Chromebooks?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I went Apple back in 2006 and bought my second Macbook just two months ago after my last becoming inoperable a little over a year ago. I will never go back to PC and went this long without because, well MacBooks aren't cheap but it shows just how much I loathe PC. But from 2006 to 2012 I had no real issues with my Macbook it died only because my little one dumped a large cup of chocolate milk on the keyboard. It really was a wonderful machine. The new Macbook with Retina is simply fantastic. A friend was over with her new Macbook without the Retina and it was next to mine. The difference was staggering....

Although Apple has some of its own problems, specifically IMO their desire for all things proprietary but hands down better than any MS OS.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I still have an old laptop with XP on it that I just use for [snip] around and testing things once in a while.

I don't get why folks are so hung up on XP. Sure, if you have no money and cobbled together a PC from parts salvaged from some African landfill then I guess you would be happy to run XP on your single gig SDRAM 486DX machine.

Even Vista, while it certainly did suck, was okay if your machine could handle it. Jerk-off manufacturers helped ruin Vista by stocking retail shelves with barely minimum requirement machines so when the typical no-nothing user got home they were stuck with a PC that spun and burned and lagged to do anything and naturally just blamed the only thing they could understand, Vista.

So much of this "I hate Mac OS" or "I hate Windows 8" or "I hate Linux" or "I hate Chrome OS" is rooted in simple ignorance.
edit on 13-4-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I have tried to steer all my customers away from XP. I am not convinced there will be a terrible virus outbreak, or any other catastrophe, but if I say nothing , and there is something bad, then I am the bad guy. I actually like windows 7. It's as close to XP as it can be and it doesn't have the annoying "Vista" feel. I am used to the arrangement of things and I hope they fashion the next OS more like 7 and NOTHING like 8. IMO Windows 8 is great for a touch screen and awful for anything else.

I will miss XP. I had it figured out and could usually fix most issues without a reload. Not so much with 7.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

A couple of months ago my cpu went kablooey so had to upgrade to Windows7. I've tried a little with Windows 8 and 8.1 and it just sucks. everyone agrees that I've heard from. Especially the touchscreen nonsense. Not a fan.

I've gotten used to 7 and I got my cpu experience back to pretty much the same as it was with XP. I like it now.

The fact that they can bully you into making more software purchases when you're perfectly happy with what you have right now is not right. Planned obsolescence is a bitch.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
I don't get why folks are so hung up on XP. Sure, if you have no money and cobbled together a PC from parts salvaged from some African landfill then I guess you would be happy to run XP on your single gig SDRAM 486DX machine.
Microsoft doesn't get it either, but for me it's got nothing to do with money. I already have Vista and Windows 7 and tried them and just found them to be inferior, as did Dvorak. My hardware was fine, so that wasn't the problem either.

I'll give one example, in XP I could set my folder properties once and they were set. There was no such provision in the newer OS where I had to set folder properties 5 times for 5 different types of folders. So in just this one aspect it's 400% less efficient, and there are many other issues. Maybe less advanced users don't see all the problems.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I have Windows 7 installed on a virtual machine....which I very rarely use, just occasionally to check things for the poor souls who have issues. My native OS is 64bt PCLinuxOS and it does everything I like just the way I like it (becasue it is very configurable). The apps all work perfectly even to the extent of reading and writing Microsoft flavours of documents. It costs me precisely nothing. Oh and the laptops I buy I get cheaper becasue I don't have to have an O/s installed.

There are so many varieties of Linux there is bound to be one that suits you, I even tried one that mimicked the Apple O/S a quite impressive clone! Oh and every one of them is free as well and almost all distros come as live these days so you can try before you buy.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

"To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our anti-malware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015," Microsoft's malware protection team said in a blog post.....The reprieve means that for Windows XP enterprise users, Microsoft will continue to maintain -- for the next 18 months -- System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection, and Windows Intune. Meanwhile, for Windows XP consumer users, Microsoft will continue to keep Microsoft Security Essentials updated.

www.darkreading.com...

I hope this is true. I have Windows 7 on my computer but my wife has XP on her work computer. She was in a panic yesterday until I found the update I posted above.

edit on 4/10/2014 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Arbitrageur
I'll give one example, in XP I could set my folder properties once and they were set. There was no such provision in the newer OS where I had to set folder properties 5 times for 5 different types of folders. So in just this one aspect it's 400% less efficient, and there are many other issues. Maybe less advanced users don't see all the problems.

You're looking at a feature as a bug. Just set Folder Options as you want universally then single out specific folders you want viewed differently. Takes all of 40 seconds the first time you log in.

Nice work getting the "advanced users" jab in. Real cute.

From the Zombie article:

The main use of the Windows operating system has always been desktop productivity. It wasn't so much for watching TV or slideshows with grandma. Windows 8, for sure, has made productivity more difficult by all accounts. While it is nice to know the time without squinting, I do not need my personal photos flashed on the screen for no good reason. Windows 8 is laughable.

This tells me the author either doesnt know what he's doing or is playing willfully ignorant to make it appear as though there is a burden where there is none. As if complaining the TV is too loud and distracting to get any work done yet refusing to simply turn the TV off.
edit on 10-4-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Sparky63
I hope this is true. I have Windows 7 on my computer but my wife has XP on her work computer. She was in a panic yesterday until I found the update I posted above.
There is a risk to continue to use it which goes up over time, but if she doesn't do anything sensitive like online banking it might be OK. I used Windows 2000 for at least a year after support ended and had no problems, in fact I still have an old virtual PC running Windows 2000 which I use for one application because it runs so well on 2000, but I wouldn't use it for online banking.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Still running XP, reinstalled it 3 weeks ago, no sound... would'nt install drivers.
Could have changed to windows 7 but I don't like changes

But fixed now

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
I guess you would be happy to run XP on your single gig SDRAM 486DX machine.

So much of this "I hate Mac OS" or "I hate Windows 8" or "I hate Linux" or "I hate Chrome OS" is rooted in simple ignorance.

I have three computers that all have only one gig of ram and that are maxed out. So i am unable to run windows vista, 7 or 8. I will be switching to Lubuntu in the near future. Lubuntu is a lightweight version of Ubuntu. I have been practicing with it and i kind of like it. It runs great with one gig of ram. Does anyone know if Lubuntu is safe to run? Would this be my next best option? I am nervous to switch because my existing programs will become uncompilable. Thanks for posting this

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
You're looking at a feature as a bug. Just set Folder Options as you want universally then single out specific folders you want viewed differently. Takes all of 40 seconds the first time you log in.

Nice work getting the "advanced users" jab in. Real cute.
I didn't say it was a bug, I said it's 400% less efficient to change 5 defaults when I could just change one default on XP. The least they could have done was made a provision to change all 5 types at once but I never found that and found some Microsoft support person posting saying there was no such thing, I just had to do 5 times as much work with the newer OS. And it took longer than 40 seconds, especially when you consider multiple PCs, reinstalls, etc. and it's just one of many annoyances.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

they should release the source code for it.
Let the people fix it...

I agree that XP was the most important product of the technological age, that we've had! When computers became mainstream XP was the base of that. It was brilliant.. although it looks kinda VGAish compared to 7.

It will never die but, getting around Microsoft xp activation is as simple as picking up a rash in Thailand. Torrents of the ISO will forever be available. XP will never die!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Agit8dChop
XP will never die!
Exactly! That's why the article title says "Enjoy Being a Zombie"

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gmoneystunt

Many Linux flavors are great for breathing new life into older, slower machines. Nothing to worry about as long as you go with an actively updated distro of which Lubuntu is one.

Inevitably you will experience issues with cross-platform incompatibility. There is always a workaround so don't worry too much. You can ease the transition by starting to switch over to open source programs while you run XP now so when the time to move to Linux comes you'll be more familiar with what is required to maintain cross platform compatibility.

My office is a mix of several Linux distros, XP, 7 and at least a dozen Windows 8 machines. All work together perfectly fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join