It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone have a lumbar fusion done?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I am having a lumbar fusion done on the 18th. I am the only one in my circle to have this done so I have very little experience to draw from.

I need to have two vertebrae fused. They are taking bone marrow from my hip to rebuild the two discs. I am trying to get everything in order before I go down for the count.

I would appreciate any experience or perspective. Also, any information on what I may need to do to get the house ready, things I may need or not anticipate, that would make life easier.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Do your physical therapy, and then some, and keep it up.

The framework is now compromised, so the muscle needs to pull more weight.

My son had this done and was miserable for 2 years until he started working out on top of the PT.

He went from not being able to lift more than 8 pounds to being healthier than he was at 18.

It will be tough at first, but power through it, it will make a huge difference.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Anterior or posterior? I have known some who have done each, most were lumbar vertebrae. You will never be the same after surgery but I hope it will be for the best in your case. Your mental and emotional health and expectations will play a huge role, i.e. mind over matter. Whether or not one believes in healing prayer or meditation, the effect of the mind to heal is fairly irrefutably documented.

Keep the pain medications to a minimum if you can as far as dosage, but stay on top of the schedule. Keep on top of fluids, fiber and stool softeners. This is not the most polite topic but you do not want an pain killer tolerance and you especially do not want a difficult time passing things as that will be slowed for some time from the anesthetic and painful from the operation itself. Narcotics will also cause additional slowing as well as dehydration and hard stools. Bad combination if you have to force anything.

Do your PT. Always maintain a very strong core. That will support and protect your spine so you do not injure yourself. You will want to focus on this more than the average person. Be mindful not to overload your back, and be even more mindful to lift the right way at all times, straight back, lift with legs.

As for the house, have blankets, pillows, footstools. Have comfortable loose/adjustable clothing like drawstring pants to adjust for your comfort as inflammation will be worse some days. It comes/goes. Have ice. You will probably want to invest in freezer gel packs. The ones with separate cells are more flexible than the type that freeze solid.

Have the house clear of cords, rugs etc that you can slip or trip on. Have a couple of telescoping "grabbers" that old people use when they can't bend over. You won't be bending much and will want to avoid getting up if you drop something.

Above all, stay positive and you will heal right up! I wish you the best with your procedure and recovery.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Hexadecimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I had my L5-S1 fused about 2 years ago, They didn't do any grafts from my hip though.
I had zero pain afterwards, was on light duty and physical therapy for If I remember right about 3 months. Was back to work in 5-6 months (I have a heavy lifting job).

Best decision I ever made. Haven't had any pain for 2 years now. Two years outta the last 25 without pain.

I had mine done in Scottsdale, Az.

Dr. Tumialan (Tume - E - alan) he is an ex Navy surgeon and is an EXCEPTIONAL Doctor.

I have had MANY procedures done and have had my share of doctors and hospitals. I highly recommend this guy if your in the area.

Was up and around an hour after the anesthesia wore off walking around the hospital grounds.

I have 2 scars about 1/4" - 1/2" long and that's it
edit on 9-4-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
L5-S1 here.

Initially, I was not very mobile for at least 6 weeks, but thanks to pain killers, I was loving life!

The recovery is very slow, but to give you my perspective, I played in a golf tournament after 6 months (although I'm not really sure it was a wise thing to do)

One year later, I was completely better, but still wasn't as mobile as I'd liked

2 years later, my life is awesome! Yeah, there is a little bit of residual effects - it feels weird to walk uphill, but I can do most anything.

Before the surgery, I went through 3 years of physical therapy, drugs and general military BS. The best thing I ever did was get my fusion and titanium rods! Doc says I will likely have surgery again when I'm older, but I don't fear it.

Good luck! Enjoy the pain killers (be sure you get off them!) and work your core muscles every day.

Oh yeah, as for the house, I recommend you get a comfy bed or recliner to relax and spread out a bit after the surgery. You'll need several weeks to recover. Bending down is impossible and walking may be difficult too. I generally forced myself to get out up and go outside to play catch with my dog (while sitting) - it was a great bonding moment!
edit on 4-9-2014 by jrflipjr because: addendum

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

No idea about this procedure, I am kind of young (26) and only one surgery, and it was "plastic surgery" after a bmx accident where I face planted and my I ripped all my flesh off my right cheekbone and nearly bled to death walking to the hospital, lucky I didn't snap my neck. 92 stitches around my right eye, also lucky my eye wasn't ripped out.

Back on subject, use the pain killers as needed, but get off of them ASAP. I was on Oxycodone (spelling?) and after a few days I was having this weird thing where my heart would feel like it was punching my chest (didn't hurt), and that could have been all the drugs from surgery wearing off, but I stopped as they weren't doing much for pain and are highly addictive. I had this new view on life, then went through some withdraws.

With the rehab, just work out and do your physical therapy as they say, and maybe plus some. Don't stress your body too much, you will know your limits. Biggest thing is don't re-injure yourself trying, and don't be too lazy or you will have a harder time getting back to normal. I was inspired by pro athletes, they are told they can never do their sport again, and they just prove the doctor wrong, and it's for themselves. You will be fine, just do it for yourself, and enjoy the off time! After a few weeks, maybe even days you will be stir-crazy with cabin fever, just get out and enjoy life while recovering your muscles and body! GOOD LUCK!

PS: Remeber, you physical therapist and doctors are there for money, they didn't push me, and my gf had a knee problem, they didn't push her. Gave her an hours worth of work a few days a week, and it wasn't helping. I literally had them give me a paper and they didn't even make sure I did the work outs. I did them plus more, as I was getting weak from laying around recovering.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Just wanted to say that I wish you the best and hope your healing is quick.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I haven't had lumbar fusion either but have been a long-time sufferer of L5-S1 (mainly) back pain and most recently sciatica so I share your pain and really hope that it all works out for you.

A friend of mine had lumbar surgery and it removed a lot of pain for him but his problem was that he ended up being slightly addicted to the painkillers so that's something to be wary of.

Good luck and hope it all goes nicely for you so you can get on with having fun.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I had a Discectomy in 2011 followed by a fusion of my S1-L4/5 in June of last year. I was very lucky to have a fantastic Ortho Surgeon, and not need bone from my hip. We decided, instead, to go with plastic facets in between the vertebra for the bone to knit... It is painful, and everything will hurt like hell for the first couple of weeks. The most important thing to remember is to start walking as soon as you can, and DON'T STOP!!!! Its like the old saying " A body at rest stays at rest.......yada yada yada" Also, if possible start now with the barrel rolling in and out of bed to aclimate yourself to the new movements, you will only be able to get in and out of bed this way.
The most painful part, oddly enough, will be your hip. Drink lots of fluids and have a positive mindset... I am about 30% better now, and that, to me, is fantastic...
I wish you a speedy recovery, and all the best..

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have 2 bad disks in my neck, one was completely herniated and leaking fluid. After months of agony I was scheduling surgery and a friend suggested I try shots first. So I got a shot in my neck, it was 200 bucks. I didn't think it worked at first, but after a week, I forgot I was injured. The pain has been gone for over 2 years now, I don't even wake up with stiff neck like I had been my whole life. The shot was a miracle for me. My whole arm was numb and hurting, I still cant believe the shot fixed me. I recommend a shot before getting surgery. But if you do get the surgery, just remember that mma fighter Tito Ortiz has had that done and he was back in the ring fighting not too long after. I was always interested in the titanium disks, check those out if you haven't. Its all worth considering.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Hmmmmmmm

Do your physical therapy, and then some, and keep it up.

The framework is now compromised, so the muscle needs to pull more weight.

My son had this done and was miserable for 2 years until he started working out on top of the PT.

He went from not being able to lift more than 8 pounds to being healthier than he was at 18.

It will be tough at first, but power through it, it will make a huge difference.

What nixie said. Especially the rehab. If you don't do the PT, you are in for a world of hurt down the line.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lotusfoot

Oh yea, been through those, used to get double epidurals.They can no longer get the needles in because of the swelling in the bone.

I have been at this 20 years so there isn't a procedure I haven't tried. I have spondeylethesis and sciatica going down both legs, so even my spine doc, who doesn't like surgery, said it was time.

I believe in surgery like this as a last resort, so I know where you are coming from.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am having one on May 20th and.... I am so scared.

My spine doc took one look at my MRI and was impressed with how messed up I am, and how okay I seem.. considering.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I just had a Cervical Spinal Fusion done on my C6-C6 in my neck. I'm still recovering now after about 2 weeks. But, there is no longer pain or numbness in my arm anymore. And, I've weaned myself off the pain killers I was taking since June! (YES!!)

Good luck to you...I'm sure you will bounce back in no time...After all, your an ATS member, we have a resiliency and toughness like no other.

new topics

top topics

join